spray foam insulation

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does anyone know about and pricing on spray foam insulation? we want to put it in our shop when we build it. any info would be greatly welcomed! everyone has a opinion on it, but it would be nice if someone on here was an installer or dealer and could provide all the info,thanks everyone!!

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Expensive is all i got to say. Its about 3.25-4.50/sq ft for 3" thick and i dont think it goes down in price. I know they told me it was close to 3800 to do my basement and it was only 900 sq ft.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Expensive is all i got to say. Its about 3.25-4.50/sq ft for 3" thick and i dont think it goes down in price. I know they told me it was close to 3800 to do my basement and it was only 900 sq ft.

yeah but at the end of the day is it better than regular insulation in the end it might end up saving ya money

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the inside of my header & rim joists done were going to pull out the pink insulation I know it will pay for itself in time. I have replaced all my windows plus installed 2" of enerfoil insulation to the entire outside of my house HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! but I can still feel a slight draft above the drop ceiling in the basement spray in is expensive but worth it;). :twocents:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It all depends, if you go with 1/2 pound(yellow), or 2 pound(blue). Also, make sure once you get all of your plugs in, where you want them. If not, when you go to change the place, you jeapordize the intgretity of your R-value. I do know of an installer in Edmonton. He is now based in Calgary, but still has both locations. Shoot me a PM if you would like his number. I can't promise a discount by dropping my name, but he will take care of you.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never said it was worth it, just said it was expensive. Im gonna redo the roof in my tin pole shop and also the gables. I was gonna do my basement in spray foam but i couldnt cough up the doe. If i ever redo the basement again ill spend the money. I think when i do my shop im gonna look into those tiger foam kits.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice thing about spray foam if that it is the vapour barrier, don't have to mess with poly and acoustic sealant......

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a guy in lacombe that does it. His company is called Spray Jones and it is the stuff Holmes on Homes uses. It is also used by some builders in the area. It is quite expensive though. I had a quote to do my house and shop and it was 43k vs 10k for batt insulation, although I may still have them spray the basement.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice thing about spray foam if that it is the vapour barrier, don't have to mess with poly and acoustic sealant......

Only the 2lb blue closed cell foam replaces the vapor barrier according to the AB building code. I know one local builder says the yellow open cell does, but they have poly over the foam.:d

Looking at this for my new house next year. In new construction you recoup some of the initial cost of the foam in 25% smaller HVAC sizing. The rest would be about a 10 yr recovery in lower heating/cooling costs.

The R value of 2lb closed cell is a true 6.5 per inch, almost 50% higher than the best batt, plus with uniform installation, no air transfer that you would get from holes and gaps in the batt. In reality, the R value is almost double that of batt.

Still expensive though!!

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guy that I would use is Rob he is in the west end, 780-451-0166. They do a few different things. It's been a couple years since I have talk to him. I had him fill all my plastic drums with that stuff, so the drums don't get water logged, a bit heavier but more bouncy. They worked great.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys are posting high costing.

The polyurethane spray foam is about a $1.50 per board foot......with cost coming down for extra inches applied. Most applications are based on desired R value with R7 per inch being accepted as standard. If you want to go cheaper then just spray an inch to get the sealing and then use batt insulation over that - the DIY kits are good for many applications but the cost is higher for larger jobs.

There are a ton of spray rigs in AB and I mean lots - over 20 or so spray companies in Edmonton. I was going to get into this business but investement is high and returns not great for the cr@piness of the work. i did get set up with DOW to sell their froth paks - similar to Tigerfoam and could sell to anyone if they are considering DIY - shoot me a PM if interested.

You see these kits on disaster diy and Holmes on homes etc ........they work good. Good for insulating sled trailers, hot tubs, rim joists, boat dock floats,,,,,,,,the list goes on and on.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey boydo my buddy colin the owner of grassland trailer sales is spraying that stuff his number 780 525 5820 i know he sprayed some last year i did my floor joists the stuff is aweome an only cost me $500 buck i caught the guy at the store here in wandering river and he came and did it for me i guess i was at the right place at the right time haaaa:d

Last edited:

trainer

Reaction score
polyurethane spray foam insulation

I have applied Polyurethane Foam closed-cell insulation materials. It’s materials offer high R values, one can use a thinner foam board to have the required thermal resistance one desires. This can be extremely helpful if there are space limitations involved. This strength involved the ability of the foam to resist deformation and the ability to main its shape when forced or loaded down.It can handles a wide temperature range, which makes it effective as a roof insulation. When combined with laminated aluminum foil facing, it is also an effective moisture and vapor barrier.It is costly and durable.I had choosed Ultimate linings polyurethane spray for insulation purposes.It's works fantastic for the last 12 yrs.:)

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 321

damtrees

Reaction score
my buddy can do it as well give him a shout Jonathan Douglas

Douglas Quick Build
4739-93Ave T6B 2T6
Edmonton, Alberta
BUS: 780-665-8133
Cell: 780-915-3775
Fax: 780-440-0995
Email: jonathan@douglasqb.com
Web:

doublervalu

Reaction score
does anyone know about and pricing on spray foam insulation? we want to put it in our shop when we build it. any info would be greatly welcomed! everyone has a opinion on it, but it would be nice if someone on here was an installer or dealer and could provide all the info,thanks everyone!!

Did you get your answers yet? We apply foam all over Alberta. if it's a shop, there's ways to do it very economically. Choosefoam dot com. Get in touch if you want more info.

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info! we have not started the shop yet tho, will be checking all options out for sure.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
ok......you can buy this 2 part spray foam insulation from unicon in edmonton for about $490 this will do 205 board feet....which is 1" thick on 12" x 12" square i have used this on comercial builds......very easy aplication, very fast, works great....i can get you the data sheets on iot tomorrow if you wanna see them.....

Top Bottom