Spare parts to bring while riding in the mountains???

Nagzs

Reaction score
Wondering what everyone bring for spare parts when riding in the mountains. Plugs, Belt, and what else?

Also, what are some of the essential tools for a Ski-doo XM?

Thanks!

bbecker17

Reaction score
depends how far away you live from the mountains, are you talking like what you take on the hill with you? or what you leave in the truck?

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on what your riding, what you have done to it etc...I bring spare belts, plugs, pull cord, zip ties, and a good rock climbing rope to pull others back out. In my tool bag I have gone through my sled and made sure I have a wrench for every size bolt on my sled, I also carry lots of other things

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's amazing wht u can fix with duck tape , black tape , zip ties and baling wire

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's amazing wht u can fix with duck tape , black tape , zip ties and baling wire

LOL yes tape has saved my ass a few times. I will never forget the time I snapped the little button on the end of a throttle cable extension that clips into the back of your thumb lever on your throttle first pull on a bluebird day! Everyone said my day was done...Ended up making a makeshift pull throttle out of a doo sway bar disconnect with tape, zip ties, hay wire and whatever else we had. Worked good for the first bit then it started sticking at WFO so carefully got it down to the cabin. Then realized I could just take my riser off and use the original throttle cable. So I Removed the riser, removed the throttle extension, put the original throttle cable back into the flipper and mounted the bars back on with no riser. Back up and running in no time. Sure glad I had all the tools I needed then.

Another time, broke my brake handle off in keystone, on a tree that got in my way and ended up using a small socket that stuck in the hole just perfect, taped the shot out of it and it worked great just had to push really hard with the side of your finger to push the brake on.

Last edited:

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a turbo pro... My friends make me practically pull a snap on tool chest.
Honestly, i bring visegrips, multibit screw driver, crescent, zipties, wire, black tape, plugs, a few odd bolts, fuel line, small hose clamps, black tape. Amd most important a survival kit. This has almost a full roll of black tape, and duct tape made into smaller rolls. 20ft of good rope, bandages and all that good stuff, lighter, flint, flares, emerg blanket, etc...

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by E-zmoke

[. Smoked a big fat joint as i figured I was done for the day [/QUOTE]

That's exactly what the hill needs.... More people riding sleds around fked up

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In addition to what these guys suggest I usually carry a small bolt and nut assortment for suspension bolts and the most common sizes.
On some of the machines with a 2 wheel axle I carry a spare idler.
Princess auto has a nice adjustable construction wrench that can double as a hammer
try to carry as many tools that can perform more than 9ne task to shave weight.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As well as everything most of the guys above have mentioned I carry a spare chain. I put a new chain on every off season but running a turboed sled things give. I have broke two chains in the last 8000km and guys are like holy **** how are we gonna get that heavy pig off the mountain? I let them ride for an hour and i'm good to go. I also carry a spare air intake sock (Turbo sled specific) As I have ripped a few in the trees. Years back I used to carry spare radius rods for the trailing arm sleds LOL. Just had an upper and lower zip tied on the clutch cover. (Thank God everyone followed Arctic Cats lead on A-Arms) (Cant believe I just said Cat did something good) We used to use a set of these just about every trip to the mountains as there was four of us riding the same sleds. Now dont get me started on the safety gear in my backpack.....this could take forever LOL!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The normal tools and a selection of nuts and bolts. A special item I have is a turkey baster! For syphoning gas and dropping it into the top of the cylinders. Use it at least once a year and the last time was on one of those side-ways Cats (don't know what model it was but the one with the horizontal plugs). Most people in the group in combination have a pretty good selection. Most things can be fixed with a little creativity and ingenuity. Zip ties, duct/gorilla tape, a splint here or there, and one can usually make it back to the truck.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a box on my tunnel that has a good assortment of tools, plus 60 ft of 8.5mm static climbing rope, super strong locking biners, and 2 pulleys. I used this equipment to drag sleds out of deeep tree wells. Also I have a small tarp that has red on one side, and silver foil on the other. Very visible, and reflects heat. Fire starter, retractable weiner stick for cooking smokies up on the hill..
Also your everyday assortment of duct tape, zip ties, long heavy duty hose clamps for re-assembling a track on the hill to get you out.. Did that twice already. one totally tore in half and we used them to get him out.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
For the xm make sure you have a t20? Screw driver for the 4 good top removal bolts

Yes, I forgot about mentioning those beauties. You definitely require the t25, t27, and to be safe maybe the t30 (I don't think I used that one but others most definitely).

Throw in the bits and a driver. The shorter the handle the better.

The XM's don't even have a screw driver in the tool kit anymore.

Yes, and with that, there is no way you will change spark plugs with the normal spark plug changing tool that comes in the tool kits. You will need a 5/8" deep socket and a 3/8" drive to get in there. Not that you need to doo much to the plugs for many 1000's of kms.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I forgot about mentioning those beauties. You definitely require the t25, t27, and to be safe maybe the t30 (I don't think I used that one but others most definitely).

Throw in the bits and a driver. The shorter the handle the better.

The XM's don't even have a screw driver in the tool kit anymore.

Yes, and with that, there is no way you will change spark plugs with the normal spark plug changing tool that comes in the tool kits. You will need a 5/8" deep socket and a 3/8" drive to get in there. Not that you need to doo much to the plugs for many 1000's of kms.

with the way all the new sleds are going with removable panels instead of a flip up hood. the only tool that will work for certain is the good old credit card. (" hello Alpine Helicopters. can you pick up my sled. here are the co-ordinates").. LOL

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A list of dealers and phone numbers in the area that you plan on riding. Sometimes you have to give up half a day to run and get parts. An ipad is great so you can look up part numbers instead of doing the "this is what I call that" part name game when you phone ahead. Ask some locals which is the best dealer as well for customer service and stocking parts.
One of those little siphon hoses with the pump. Someone usually gets excited about riding and forgets to gas up or top up their oil. A piece of clear hose works too. It's like punishment for the guy that forgot.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always remember to bring my go pro chesty mount lol. Last year I used it to tie my lower a arms together after the bottom bolts got sheared off on one side. It actually worked quite well and I got out of the back of clemina down to the truck. I pack plugs, belts, toolkit from sled, select few of stubby wrenches zip ties, duct tape, rope, fire starters, strike anywhere matches, extra batteries mechanics wire, etc. At the truck I leave my big toolkit, small propane torch, oils, coolant, couple bearings and wheels. This year I am going to bring extra a arms and a set of handlebars to leave in the truck so another truck doesnt get ruined from not having parts. I also bought a very small (less than 1/4ton) come-along from princess auto that I might try to pack with me.

Mentioning to bring tampons may get a little carried away lol. But they are great for starting fires. Dunk one in the gas tank and you will have a fire instantly.

Last edited:

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One guy off this site we have been taking out for a number of years has everything in a 30l pack and a handle bar bag. Ive seen him pull solder and a torch out, road flares, flat webbing every wrench you could think of. I would love him to go through his bag and post his master list of everything he has...

I for one have a spare idler wheel 100' of webbing a few carabiners, tape, wire, spare pull rope, first aid kit, spot, survival kit, A tarp in my seat, every wrench and socket I could need, a few key bolts and washers, belt and clutch bolts for a cat secondary ...
If I was traveling I would like to bring spare clutches, a-arms, belts, throttle cable. and rails.

giddy up . what at the bottom of your bag
and whats in that duffle bag that weights so much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom