Somebody Cry Wolf ??

Mtsledder

Reaction score
Look by his tail. You can see the man's camo pant leg. I had to take a second look too!!! These days you just can't believe what goes around on the net! I've never seen a wolf and I always thought they were like a coyote just a little bigger. Never have I imagined they would be that big!! Wow!!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A year or two back I got into this with another member here on the site. What amazes me most is how we still live with the half truths and fear mongering that was created back in the 50's. Everyone can justify their actions any way that makes them feel good. If you realy do the research into predatory animals like wolves and coyotes, you soon realize they are not a threat to man, they are not a threat to ungulate populations. Poaching is a bigger threat!! Farmers and ranchers are insured by our governments for livestock loss. Wolves will kill each other for prey when ungulate populations are down....self regulating their populations. When wolf populations in Yellowknnife were decimated, it actually changed the entire face of the terrain, even tree types and numbers. As for attacks on humans, if anyone wants to know the truth about Kenton's death, then read the actions of the camp operator and camp members before his death! They should have been charged with his death through the local Fish and Wildlife agency. More people in Alaska are killed by their own sled dog packs than wolves!

Our society is so fear based and thrives on half truths. Education is key and if anyone wants to get into a friendly discussion about wolves or grizzlies just say the word.

As mentioned, if you don't eat it why kill it?! At a bear bait....not even a fair fight.

Just MY 2 cents.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can understand what your saying as well zrrr but gov't doesn't pay what these animals are worth to the farmers. my neighbor lost 3 calves and 1 cow already this year to coyotes. the cow was attacked and ripped apart while calving. sounds like just about as fair of a fight as the bear bait deal i think.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up hunting and was taught then and still belief if you hunt it you better be eating it....

But I also farm and we have a serious problem with coyotes….and were only 20 mins SE of the city.

Just this last Saturday night they came into our yard trying to get at a dog we are training, a young Great Pyrenees. She is great with our cats and other dogs, she has already taken to stand watch over the horse’s. But we need to chain her at night or she goes hunting the coyotes. Two of our three neighbor’s thinks it’s great but one has a problem with it has she is a large dog that seems to want to patrol about a 5 mile radius, and they dont want her in thier yard. Has much as I know she wont bother them, they have that right.

So I was wakened by the coyotes that tried to attack her while chained up. By the time I got out there with a rifle, Casey (the dog) had broken her chain and went hunting….she claimed two on our property and one on the neighbors who lost their barn cat and their sheltie had some cuts on its legs that night:eek:….but the one neighbor still complained that our dog was loose again…..even though by the time we crawled out of bed Sunday she was back in her dog house, she got some special treats that day….

I would have shot any and or all if I could have seen them….need to get a night scope or a really good spot light ….

PS the picture on the front of this thread is not even a good fake, it has been photo shopped there were several comments pointing to that at the beginning, I can’t belief anyone viewed this as a real picture…
:eek:

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How can anyone say, that wolves are not a threat to ungulate populations?? Expand on that if you could please.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This Wolf was shot over a bear bait Near Edson, Ab. Last Week. So my e-mail says.

so i just got the latest edition of big buck magazine. apparently the pic is real. candidate for worlds largest wolf ever shot. The guy that shot had seen it and many others along with lots of bears on his trail camera over his bait, when they shot the wolf they actually had a large bear directly under neath them at the stand. wolf weighs in at 197lbs and skull measured just over 20inhes had to wait for a 60 day drying period before it could be officially scored and take record status. whole thing was caught on video and will be aired on the Hunting Chronicles tv show on wild tv. It kinda sounds like the guy in the pic is the host and was guiding a friend of his who shot the wolf.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless it was killing mass amounts of cattle or farm deer/elk why kill it? why must people kill animals they dont use as food, what a waist.....im not a greeny in any way but that is sick......ever had a really good dog? i grew up with one and he died 2 years ago, he went everywhere with us and my dad took him chicken hunting all the time he was a great dog, after he died we havent hunted since......... when you have a pet thats like a family member you get a greater respect for animals.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Well there is one just west of Edmonton in the keephills area that has taken three cows down! Alberta Fish and Game and local hunters are trying to find it. Surprised that it is that close in!! Would have expected them to be more in the foothills or at least in Magnets back yard what with all the wild pets they have!! :d:d

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually keephills is pretty much my back yard.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
unless it was killing mass amounts of cattle or farm deer/elk why kill it? why must people kill animals they dont use as food, what a waist.....im not a greeny in any way but that is sick......ever had a really good dog? i grew up with one and he died 2 years ago, he went everywhere with us and my dad took him chicken hunting all the time he was a great dog, after he died we havent hunted since......... when you have a pet thats like a family member you get a greater respect for animals.

I have a respect for what you are saying...BUT I'm not going to lie... I can sit, drink beer and shoot little brown fury gophers All Day Long with no remorse and I even had a pet Gerble growing up :eek: ... Juss sayin'

:PDT_gun: :hunter2:

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe the picture because I've seen a few big ones around the same area during hunting season or from quadding the area over the last few years. . The Wolf population is way up in Edson, and we have seen up to 6 in a pack running around with the Alpha Male being some huge animals.:wetpants:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe the picture because I've seen a few big ones around the same area during hunting season or from quadding the area over the last few years. . The Wolf population is way up in Edson, and we have seen up to 6 in a pack running around with the Alpha Male being some huge animals.:wetpants:

Wolf and cougar population is up because the deer population is up. Kill the predators and the prey population will be out of control. Confrontations with predators are occurring because we are taking their territory.
Anyone who says that hunting is needed to restore natural balance is full of crap. Hunters do their best to take the biggest and strongest animals out of the gene pool, predators take the slow and weak. I'm not saying that people shouldn't hunt, go for it, just don't try to convince people that you are part of natures balance 'cause you aint.

Andy the Digger

Reaction score
I read all these quotes " if your not gonna eat it, then why kill it? " Out of all these ppl that post that - how many ppl fish? Catch and release in deep waters have a 70% mortality rate, and I am sure not 100% live that are caught in shallower waters.... AND.. ppl that wash their quads or chop donuts in mountain streams... oil, gas, skag in the water.... fish eggs disturbed....Spawning screwed up.... Oh wait.. fish aren't cute and cuddly lookin.... How many quadders, sledders, and bikers here that DON'T affect natures habitat? Driving predators out of the bush by making noise... Spooking deer, moose, elk deeper into the bush away from there habitat.... Changing the migration of certain species...
I find this topic funny.. the main point/common interest of this website destroys MORE habitat and disturbs/kills more animals than any hunter will...... Just my 2 cents...

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really have to agree with a lot of people on here. I used to hunt all the time as a kid and now really have no stomach for it at all. Its a senseless waste that causes untold pain and suffering to countless animals all for someones pleasure.
I grew up on a farm and we still at most times have 500 to 600 head and i have never,repeat NEVER seen coyotes take an animal. Iam not saying it doesnt happen but i havent seen it , i think most times poor animal management results in producers finding carcuses that have been sacavaged and conclude that preadators killed the animal
I really just dont understand the thrill? i could understand if that camoed goof holding the wolf had killed it with a club or knife then i would be impressed. But to hide out in a tree dressed like halloween and blast it from 400 yards while that wolf had his face burried in a bear bait, man what a brave hero.

Mayfly

Reaction score
Alot of bleeding heart liberals on here, we hunt because we enjoy it. If you don't like it, well you know what you can do. Anything that man does impacts wildlife whether its sleddin, quaddin, fishing, farming.
Rant over

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read all these quotes " if your not gonna eat it, then why kill it? " Out of all these ppl that post that - how many ppl fish? Catch and release in deep waters have a 70% mortality rate, and I am sure not 100% live that are caught in shallower waters.... AND.. ppl that wash their quads or chop donuts in mountain streams... oil, gas, skag in the water.... fish eggs disturbed....Spawning screwed up.... Oh wait.. fish aren't cute and cuddly lookin.... How many quadders, sledders, and bikers here that DON'T affect natures habitat? Driving predators out of the bush by making noise... Spooking deer, moose, elk deeper into the bush away from there habitat.... Changing the migration of certain species...
I find this topic funny.. the main point/common interest of this website destroys MORE habitat and disturbs/kills more animals than any hunter will...... Just my 2 cents...

First off, I think you're on the wrong forum. You are completely misinformed.

Anyways, I believe that picture is real. We trapped a wolf a little bit smaller than that on our trapline about 6 yrs ago. It was the a loan timberwolf and was caught in one of our bait stations.
We are responsible trappers that try and "keep the area in balance" and have been doing so for the past 35 + yrs that the traplines been in our family. We don't make a living off it but it's more of a tradition that is being passed on...... Just my 2 cents...

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For anyone that would like there kids to have elk to hunt and photograph, they should realize that like it or not we HAVE TO KILL the wolves (no not all of them). The numbers have skyrocked in the recent years and they kill HUGE numbers of our elk for food, which under normal numbers is fine, however with wolf numbers increasing so fast they will soon eat most of the countries elk. We need to bring the wolf number back down to restore that "natural balance" you speak of.

Rider38

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I think that is a friend of mine big, hairy, bad breath, oh maybe not close though

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For anyone that would like there kids to have elk to hunt and photograph, they should realize that like it or not we HAVE TO KILL the wolves (no not all of them). The numbers have skyrocked in the recent years and they kill HUGE numbers of our elk for food, which under normal numbers is fine, however with wolf numbers increasing so fast they will soon eat most of the countries elk. We need to bring the wolf number back down to restore that "natural balance" you speak of.

That's one of the biggest lies out there!!!

Top Bottom