Some Advice on my 2013 Maverick XRS

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to McLean Creek and ended up getting stuck in the muskeg in a big way!!!!
fef93dcd61373a41e8c705b9a9a7d864.jpg

8ae8af43a889e62eb9897f21c5c6fe0a.jpg

After three hours of digging and the MUCH APPRECIATED help from a few random guys, I finally got free. During the process, a friend was driving while was helping winch out. As my machine was moving forward, he was applying just enough throttle to keep the tires at a slow spin to get some traction. When the SxS started to move there was a fairly loud clicking noise kind of what it sounds like if a car is put in park while still moving. It lasted for about 5 seconds and seemed to come from the front passenger side then stopped but who knows exactly where it was from. I asked my friend who was driving about it but he said he did not hear it.

After getting back on dry land, the engine light came on for about 1 min of idling then shut off. When driving back, I had no power what so ever but could easily maintain about 30k. By the time I got home to wash it, all power seemed to be restored.

Then to add that extra kick in the nuts...the grease zerk on the drivers side came out when trying to re-grease. It looks like it may have been stripped at the factory as I could put it back in but it would not tighten!!!!

My questions are...

1. Can I just re-tap the zerk to the next biggest size as I'm sure the warranty will not cover it.

2. Is it plausible that the light came on as I lost power as the CVT was wet? Will it just drain out in its own or is there something I need to do to check if everything is OK?

3. Could the clicking noise I heard be the belt slipping? There was no smell or smoke.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clicking noise. Probably your front diff visco lock can make lots of noise while trying to engage or you have cv joints broken. 30 km means your in limp mode from over heating. Grease zerk. Yes you could tap the treads carefully. If water gets in the clutch it will not fully drain on its own. If you want to ride a maverick anywhere near mud go to highlifter.com and buy a rad washer pump to ensure your rad is clean.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that clicking was either a cv joint or the front diff. did it sound like this...?

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If water got in your clutch housing u are going to have to take the housing off and blow the clutches clean especially if it was muddy water! Might want to take the clutches apart too just to be safe!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those front diff make all sorts of noises. Give your axles a once over to see if they are busted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those front diff make all sorts of noises. Give your axles a once over to see if they are busted.

my front diff was broken when it was making that noise in the vid I posted. warranty covered it, they swapped it for a QE. much better

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
that clicking was either a cv joint or the front diff. did it sound like this...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfiy97OQBBY

Yes, that's exactly how it sounded and for about the same timeframe with the exception that the clicking started to slow down then suddenly stopped. After it was out, with the exception of no power, everything appeared to be normal and there was no noise. It also spun all the tires on its way out of the skeg after the noise stopped but it did not repeat again.

With reference to limp mode, it was not a hard line type of thing, the RPM would go up when I stepped on the gas and it would accelerate, there was just no power at all....almost like the belt was slipping.

As for taking apart the housing....do I just take the side cover off on the drivers side and clean it out or it is more involved? Is there a video somewhere that I can watch? Also, if I am going to be doing all that anyway....is there a video on how to snorkel it???

I usually don't get into anything that deep without an exit strategy and don't plan on repeating anything like that again but gave into peer pressure....I'm sure we all have been there at one time or another. Worst part is....I'm not going to get it clean for days!!!!!!!

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to take the video for the dealer to change it out. I dropped it off when it first made that noise and they said they tore it apart and found nothing wrong. I took it right home and went out back to make the vid, and took it back the next day. then they agreed it was pooched and changed it. hope you're still on warranty, if not, don't bother fixing the visco lok and go with the halo full locker upgrade.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
I am still on warranty until end September. I'll have to try but I don't think I could reproduce that noise as I had all wheels spinning all the way through the skeg on the way out and it seemed fine

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah, that's odd for sure. mine did it every time the visco tried to lock the front end after it happened the first time. run 'er until it does it consistently I suppose, but it's not supposed to make that noise, ever. when mine was pretty new I had the driver's side axle pop out of the diff, made kind of a similar sound but much louder. it was pretty obvious looking at it, the metal dust ring was a half inch away from the diff and oil was coming out. popped it back in and it never did it again.

new diff works much better

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in high river and can show you the brp snorkel kit in person if you would like. I'm just getting going on it. It's a pretty involved kit but very well thought out. Might be worth a look if your looking to build your own or purchase one.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
I'm in high river and can show you the brp snorkel kit in person if you would like. I'm just getting going on it. It's a pretty involved kit but very well thought out. Might be worth a look if your looking to build your own or purchase one.

Yea, that would be really great!!!! I'm just starting out with SxS's and can use all the help I can get on how to do anything with them mechanically as well as all things maintenance!!!

Cheers

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea, that would be really great!!!! I'm just starting out with SxS's and can use all the help I can get on how to do anything with them mechanically as well as all things maintenance!!!

Cheers

Just shoot me a pm. I'm around this weekend working on it. I'll keep the covers and everything off of it so you can see the details to the kit. Also you could bring a flash drive and I can load a service manual on it for you.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to McLean Creek and ended up getting stuck in the muskeg in a big way!!!! //images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/01/fef93dcd61373a41e8c705b9a9a7d864.jpg

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/01/8ae8af43a889e62eb9897f21c5c6fe0a.jpg

After three hours of digging and the MUCH APPRECIATED help from a few random guys, I finally got free. During the process, a friend was driving while was helping winch out. As my machine was moving forward, he was applying just enough throttle to keep the tires at a slow spin to get some traction. When the SxS started to move there was a fairly loud clicking noise kind of what it sounds like if a car is put in park while still moving. It lasted for about 5 seconds and seemed to come from the front passenger side then stopped but who knows exactly where it was from. I asked my friend who was driving about it but he said he did not hear it.

After getting back on dry land, the engine light came on for about 1 min of idling then shut off. When driving back, I had no power what so ever but could easily maintain about 30k. By the time I got home to wash it, all power seemed to be restored.

Then to add that extra kick in the nuts...the grease zerk on the drivers side came out when trying to re-grease. It looks like it may have been stripped at the factory as I could put it back in but it would not tighten!!!!

My questions are...

1. Can I just re-tap the zerk to the next biggest size as I'm sure the warranty will not cover it.

2. Is it plausible that the light came on as I lost power as the CVT was wet? Will it just drain out in its own or is there something I need to do to check if everything is OK?

3. Could the clicking noise I heard be the belt slipping? There was no smell or smoke.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Cheers

I got mine stuck just like that yesterday and did the exact same thing you were describing. Definatley did not sound healthy. When getting winched out the burried tire wouldn't lock in. Later on in the day in a few more stucks the visco lok wasn't working very consistently

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
That looks REALLY bad too!!! Where were you???? At least it looks like you were able to set a winch point!!!

With reference to the sound...was it constant or did it eventually lock up? Mine locked up and has not yet repeated it....fingers crossed!!! I figured it it does, I'll just get a full HALO lock up and be done with it!!!!

Last edited:

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
I called the dealer who wanted 3-400 dollars to repair the grease zerk!!!! I was wondering, what would stop me from having a friend tack them on with a welder???? Any reason why that would not work???

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I called the dealer who wanted 3-400 dollars to repair the grease zerk!!!! I was wondering, what would stop me from having a friend tack them on with a welder???? Any reason why that would not work???

Get a grease zerk then find a nut with the same threads, 1/4" fine thread works good. Then weld the nut on. Did this to lots of quads.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
The Zerk threads into the hole, and is fairly secure.....it just won't tighten.

Top Bottom