Socialized Meds

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please enlighten us....that is a very broad topic you opened up there....we talking legal, illegal, prescription , non prescription....occasional or daily...please do tell.....

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are referring to our health care system, not just drugs.

Frankly, I haven't been in the hospital for anything major (just broken bones, stitches and other minor stuff) so I cannot comment on the tiem it takes to get a major procedure done, so keep that in mind.

With that cleared, I personally love it. Should something come up beyond my control I know that I won't need to finance my future to pay for a hospital bill. I could only imagine getting a bill for 50,000 after something like a heart attack. That would cause me a second round, no doubt. The cost of medical insurance would be out of my reach if I lived in the states.

Along the same vein, the medical insurance industry is basically evil. You can pay into the fund for many years, but should you get into a jam (heart attack etc) your company will drop you. When finding a new insurance agency, none will touch you because you are high risk, or your payments will be enourmous. Any business that makes money based on denying claims is not something that should be encouraged, in my opinion.

Not to say Canada's system is the best in the world, but it sure makes care far more accessible for many people.

Sorry for the bigass post, but this stuff kinda interests me.

T

Timed Trench

IMO..... The Canadian health care system is one of the poorest things out there. Makes health care available for everyone, but also creates a non active treatment scenario. Doctors get paid what they get paid, so there is no incentive to put in the extra effort that you see in a private system.

Think of it as you will, but the Canadian systems allows for much pain and suffering...... I need anything somewhat serious done, I cross the border and pay for it.

S

sldgy

socialized meds????? you mean like social drugs....dont know if i would call them meds, and it would all depend on the drug

if you would like information on social drugs the resident hippie has a plethora of information on the subject

we could play stump the hippie if you would like of to expedite you quest for knowledge we could do a category, cost, affect, type/length of trip, ... and the list foes on and on.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
IMO..... The Canadian health care system is one of the poorest things out there. Makes health care available for everyone, but also creates a non active treatment scenario. Doctors get paid what they get paid, so there is no incentive to put in the extra effort that you see in a private system.

Think of it as you will, but the Canadian systems allows for much pain and suffering...... I need anything somewhat serious done, I cross the border and pay for it.

From Michigan??????????

Just sayin......See you in the TGC

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your one of the fortunate that can pay for it, great, but what about the guy that has worked all his life, just lost his job and can't afford to pay for it, or lives on a fixed income? So what your saying is because you can pay for it, and the next guy can't that your life is more important than his is? I don't think in todays day and age, that we should be able to put a price tag on health care and on someones life. It's ludirous. The least the government can do is look after someone who has worked his whole life and put in his time.

burndown1

Reaction score
I am talking about The health care system. Not Drugs. I think most of you know what I mean. The good Ol USA is going this way. Was just courious.

S

sldgy

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she’s ten feet tall

T

Timed Trench

as for a price on somebodys health..... not really what i was saying. There should be an option between public and private. Or the public should be modified to accomodate the needs. Look at it which ever way you want, but when people who need the medical treatments, surgerys or what ever get to sit around suffering, then there is a problem. They shouldn't have to cross the border to get the medical attention they need because the free system is the "fair" way to go.

Therefore.... due to lack of choise in Canada, other than a couple private clinics here and there, i still think the Canadian health system is poor.

burndown1

Reaction score
OK, I started this thread. I will make one rule. Only people from Canada can make comments. Please. I want their opinions. We the people of the United States of America, We have our opinion. I want Theirs.

S

sldgy

OK, I started this thread. I will make one rule. Only people from Canada can make comments. Please. I want their opinions. We the people of the United States of America, We have our opinion. I want Theirs.

Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really haven't had to deal with it that much myself. It is not the best, but not the worst by any means. I personally would prefer private, you need it you pay for it. I would have no problem paying for 100% of my healthcare out of my own pocket.

My big problem with the current state is how many people abuse the system. Going to the emergency for something that should be a clinic, etc. Not to mention how many people don't take care of themselves and cost the system so much money. Which costs every taxpayer money.

I think socialized meds are great for seniors so they are very affordable for them. It would be nice if they are affordable for everyone, but someone has to foot the big bill, and they are never "free" or "cheap" someone is still paying for it all. Wait times are long, but if you have the coin, you can pay for many things here yourself so I don't see a issue.

All I know is, the current systems, Canada blows USA away in healthcare right now. It is far from being debated. There is a reason many are crossing the border to Canada for treatment.

I'm really not bias either way, I haven't been to a hospital for myself in like 15 years so it doesn't affect me at all.

Don't want to get into politics but I can tell you right now, the proposed system in USA right now is a joke, and will NEVER work, and is far from being better. It is a compliment to call it a bandaid on a problem.

burndown1

Reaction score
I really haven't had to deal with it that much myself. It is not the best, but not the worst by any means. I personally would prefer private, you need it you pay for it. I would have no problem paying for 100% of my healthcare out of my own pocket.

My big problem with the current state is how many people abuse the system. Going to the emergency for something that should be a clinic, etc. Not to mention how many people don't take care of themselves and cost the system so much money. Which costs every taxpayer money.

I think socialized meds are great for seniors so they are very affordable for them. It would be nice if they are affordable for everyone, but someone has to foot the big bill, and they are never "free" or "cheap" someone is still paying for it all. Wait times are long, but if you have the coin, you can pay for many things here yourself so I don't see a issue.

All I know is, the current systems, Canada blows USA away in healthcare right now. It is far from being debated. There is a reason many are crossing the border to Canada for treatment.

I'm really not bias either way, I haven't been to a hospital for myself in like 15 years so it doesn't affect me at all.

Don't want to get into politics but I can tell you right now, the proposed system in USA right now is a joke, and will NEVER work, and is far from being better. It is a compliment to call it a bandaid on a problem.

I am surprised, I thought it was the other way. I thought Canada was crossing the boarder to come here. With exceptions of treatments not approved by the Medical Dudes.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am surprised, I thought it was the other way. I thought Canada was crossing the boarder to come here. With exceptions of treatments not approved by the Medical Dudes.

That is what's happening. The problem with our health care system is that you can not buy yourself an MRI or ct scan and get in quicker. The system forces folks to wait in line (up to 3 months) no matter how much money you have.

What we need is some private clinics. I said some. So that if people have the money and want medical treatment sooner they can go and pay for it.

Last year my 74 year old mother had a mild stroke. She was taken to a hospital in Calgary by ambulance in the afternoon. At 11:30 that night they phoned my 76 year old dad (who has cataracts and been waiting for surgery to fix that for months) to come and get his wife. They kicked her out of the bed and made her wait in a chair in the waiting room for 2 hours until he got there. These folks who have paid into the social system all their lives have been let down miserably by the health care system. They are so hard up for beds they can't allow our seniors to spend one night in the hospital unless you are in serious trouble.

So my friend from the South, I don't have a lot of faith in our system and of course that is my :twocents:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is what's happening. The problem with our health care system is that you can not buy yourself an MRI or ct scan and get in quicker. The system forces folks to wait in line (up to 3 months) no matter how much money you have.

What we need is some private clinics. I said some. So that if people have the money and want medical treatment sooner they can go and pay for it.

Last year my 74 year old mother had a mild stroke. She was taken to a hospital in Calgary by ambulance in the afternoon. At 11:30 that night they phoned my 76 year old dad (who has cataracts and been waiting for surgery to fix that for months) to come and get his wife. They kicked her out of the bed and made her wait in a chair in the waiting room for 2 hours until he got there. These folks who have paid into the social system all their lives have been let down miserably by the health care system. They are so hard up for beds they can't allow our seniors to spend one night in the hospital unless you are in serious trouble.

So my friend from the South, I don't have a lot of faith in our system and of course that is my :twocents:

That sounds pretty odd. My grandma was just in the hospital for a couple days a while ago, and they had no problem letting her stay for an extra afternoon until someone could pick her up. The only bad part was, they didn't have enough real rooms, and for the couple nights she didn't have much of a room. But yes, I know there don't want anyone there longer then they need.

It is both ways. People in US who cannot afford things come here, people in Canada who want someone quick and want to pay for it go to US. I haven't looked into it but i'm pretty sure you can pay for certain things here to get it done quicker.

burndown1

Reaction score
thank you for the info. I am afraid this is the way we are going here in the USA. Gov control. Anybody else???

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds pretty odd. My grandma was just in the hospital for a couple days a while ago, and they had no problem letting her stay for an extra afternoon until someone could pick her up. The only bad part was, they didn't have enough real rooms, and for the couple nights she didn't have much of a room. But yes, I know there don't want anyone there longer then they need.

It is both ways. People in US who cannot afford things come here, people in Canada who want someone quick and want to pay for it go to US. I haven't looked into it but i'm pretty sure you can pay for certain things here to get it done quicker.

How do people from the US get free health care in Canada?

You can pay to get stuff done quicker if you go to Quebec. Quebecers are allowed to have private clinics. What's up with that?

Top Bottom