So which one to choose rzr or canam?

inside

Reaction score
looking at a rzr and a bunch of guys just bought them. Are they the best or should a guy be looking at a canam? I know myself would rather have a ski doo than poo but am trying to be opened minded about this purchase. Thanks for any info.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking at a rzr and a bunch of guys just bought them. Are they the best or should a guy be looking at a canam? I know myself would rather have a ski doo than poo but am trying to be opened minded about this purchase. Thanks for any info.
the rzr is definitely sportier and more nimble than the brp. I like the quality of all things brp and that's the one I'll be getting. it may be because there are a lot more rzr's out there but I sure haven't read as many problems with commanders busting diffs, wheels, and suspension parts. my buddy's brand new rzr 900 just ate it's pigs at christmas time, they are telling him new motor. warranty of course, but I'm gonna stick with brp. I guess I'll find out on my own :D

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the people we ride with its all rzrs. We have had great success with the Rzr we have. My wife drives it and has 2800 kms on it with no issues. I can't comment on the brp as have never ridden with anyone who owns one. I think either way you will enjoy a sxs. Good luck.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP ,rzrs suck..........................
don't be like that, you have ridden with commanders I would imagine....other than the performance aspect, what are the pros and cons that you have seen?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To the OP , try searching past threads.................because this usually ends in brand bashing rather than solid info. Add to that the fact that i am over my Commander bashing quota this week and that does not bode well for my side either..............

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't be like that, you have ridden with commanders I would imagine....other than the performance aspect, what are the pros and cons that you have seen?
Your right Commanders suck........happy now....huh

dodge1

Reaction score
Well I can say This. My Rhino 700 Has Recoverd a few Polaris 900's to the road! So, I sure hpoe MY New BRP COMMANDER CAN DO THE SAME!

scarlier

Reaction score
i have a 1000XT commander and it has been really good to me. i live in sicamous and ride often. i plow with it all winter and all i have done is change the oil, 1 new belt and trashed a warn winch. i added a roof, doors, 1 piece UHMW skid plate, Elka Stage 3 Shocks and bead lock rims. I have swamped it to the dash in the river and a few mud holes around Whitecourt Ab, and it keeps on kicking. I have had friends with RZR's that also like them and other who have had trouble with diffs and axles. All in all i believe the RZR's are definitely pure sport and the Can Am is a sport utility. I would like the option to own both. Just my 2 cents.

SC

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RZRgade's RZR goes around most quads in mud, bumps, trails, everything except tight trees....but it's also got the right parts on it.

I don't ride a SXS but I have ridden with 800 RZR's a lot, and Can Am's and 900 RZR's a bit. If you want sport, and go down all the trails a quad goes on, get a standard RZR with a lift and bigger tires. The RZR 900 is stupid fast, but also pretty big....I am not sold on it's reliability yet. The Commanders are not the RZR killer they first set out to be...because they are set up as more of a utility beast. They have excellent power and speed (beat up a 800 RZR but a hair slower than a 900 RZR) and are fun...but they are a big beast to get stuck.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How they are SET UP goes along way in determining the ability of the particular machine in different situations............Tell us ,how where,why and what conditions you want to ride in,and we could all be more helpful !
Asking a vague question like that is akin to asking is a cummins diesel better than a Mazda tribute......................

inside

Reaction score
Good statement. What I was really wondering and did not say was about reliability and quality of build, as much as abilities. My dad lives in town and wants something for purely tearing around. No work. We live in west central Saskatchewan so no worries about tight quad trails. I live on the farm and work like one to tear around and use around the yard. Him rzr Me commander I am wondering now If one is a better built unit Or they both stand up really well ex: Cummins vs a newer ford Ski doo 800 motor vs a yammi 4 stroke

inside

Reaction score
I laid that last post out nice but. It just ran it all together I apologize.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 800 rzrs have proven to be very reliable,i have owned three and have never been towed home yet.Each year they make small improvements ,early models had issues with airfilter/front diff issues,however that has been upgraded and works well now.The rzr is easy to work on and not very high tech ,which i like........
If i was to complain about the rzrs in general,i would say the normal wear itemsare not made out of as high quaity products as the canam. Items such as bearings ,brakes,tierods,etc wear out to fast ...imo.However MOST rzrs get larger tires & offsett rims which speed up wear and tear rather quickly..... Remember,the rzr outsells all other s/s units by a HUGE amount,so the number of reliabilty issuesis somewhat skewed compared to brands that don`t sell as many..........
I have owned a few BRP/Canam products and have a little time on the Commander. All in all the build quaity of the Canam is much better than the popo,and it shows.....On the down side the Canam is a very high tech machine, which in some cases are a draw back. Such as fly by wire throttle, Lack of a QE diff ,etc. There are a lot of safety features and electronics on a canam ,which when working are great, when they start flashing and putting you inti limp mode,not so much......The rotax motors are great and proven,but the rest of the commande ha had a lot more issues than the quads have had......Again time will sort this out.

Both great machines, i prefer the handling and 4x4 system of the rzr with the long travel suspension of the S model RZR. That being said a 1000 commander is fast,reliable and does offer more utilty than a rzr............ If performance is your game the rzr 900 xp has no equal in both power&handling at the moment................

Both are great machines,no dought..................

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not check out the new AC Wildcat aswell. It is suppose to be just as BadAZZ as the RZR 900.
Havent ridden one but have seen it at the dealership. Looks & sounds good so far.

Top Bottom