So is this the end for GSP?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He can hold onto that belt until the next championship bout. Then a new champion will take that belt if he does not defend it.
The last round I think was key.
He did a couple of takedowns, and scored on punches.
Hendricks didn't finish the job when he had to, and GSP recovered.
I agree, you have to clearly defeat the champ to become a new champ..

I have to agree, Hendricks is one tough sumbitch, the way he was throwing GSP around on the fence...I think he surprised GSP with his strength. But like was mentioned after the Bones Jones fight, you pretty much have to knock the champ out to win, keep it out of the judges hands.
I wonder if GSP is still under contract, or if he can retire with the belt?

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had thought gsp won 2, 3, and 5th, and if jimmy wants to win, you need to do a better betting than that on the champ... as for dana... lost all respect for the guy in the afterfight show.... low life scum, shooting off his mouth again

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what did White say ?I missed the after fight show.GSP was banged up but he did better in the fight than what his face showed!!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GSP got beat up, only round I saw him winning was the 2nd. I was cheering for GSP but Hendricks is a great fighter, I have a lot of respect for him and his attitude.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The real fact is GSP won hands down....ya you can say you have to defeat to win or knock him out, but really it was a good exchange for both and I would have scored it in GSPs favor myself. Dana is a smart man and is allowed to have a opinion....like Chael Sonnen, I LOVE to hear him talk....agree or disagree is my business!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hendricks could have won easily if he did something in the final round. It really looked like he and his corner thought it was in the bag and just had to weather the last round. Not a good strategy for a title fight.
I loved their reaction when GSP was announced as the winner.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dana White is a douche, all he sees is dollar signs walking away with GSP announcing a break from MMA. White's being a dick in the afterfight interview was purely to try to shame GSP into another fight and thus line his own pockets some more, I guess that's business even if it's an azzhat move :rant:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ta, he's in it for the business, not to wipe tears...

[video]http://www.ufc.com/media/UFC-167-Post-Scrum[/video]

Dana White is a douche, all he sees is dollar signs walking away with GSP announcing a break from MMA. White's being a dick in the afterfight interview was purely to try to shame GSP into another fight and thus line his own pockets some more, I guess that's business even if it's an azzhat move :rant:

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gsp won rounds 3 and 5. Round #1 could be given to either fighter. GSP landed more significant strikes than Hendricks
Maybe not the greatest margin to win by but there have been way worse decisions that nobody squawked about. Had Jon Jones been busted up like GSP's face was, that fight would be considered as controversial. IMO

Thegeneral

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Leave it to the judges...... You run that risk! Gsp had rounds 3 and 5... #1 was in the air... so obviosly they favour the camp big deal... everyones talking about this being the worst call in history lol.. ever watched a boxing match?? happens ALL the time! If you are a challenger you NEVER EVER want to leave it in the hands of the judges. If this was olyimpic boxing and the winner looked like that and the challenger looked fine... there would be a problem. Unfortunatley this isnt Bar fighting. Its all about points. If you want to beat the champion you arent going to do it by "ALMOST" finishing him...

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Classic line of the post fight media, Hendricks blowing his horn about only going 70%, wanting to take it into the championship rounds, and then Dana White muttering , maybe you should have went 100% and not let the judges decide the fight.
Too funny, kinda shut Hendricks up a bit. :)

Sent from my iPad

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From bjpenn.com website:

Georges St-Pierre not only wins, but usually does so without even losing a single round.When you have a champion as dominant as that – a champion that always seems to find the tiniest hole in his opponents game and turns that hole into a gaping abyss – its shocking to see them in a war. It’s shocking to see them losing rounds. It’s shocking to see them struggle to find a way to dominate their opponent, when it usually seems so effortless.And it’s shocking enough to cause us to see a close decision as a landslide defeat.It happened before with Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson, and it was happening again with Georges St-Pierre and Johny Hendricks. But –  just like the Jon Jones fight - when you look at the UFC 167 main event in a round-by-round situation, things become a little clearer.On all 3 scorecards, the judges gave rounds 2 and 4 to Hendricks. They also gave rounds 3 and 5 to GSP. And these scores are VERY easy to corroborate: Round 2 saw Hendricks out-land GSP, wobbling the champ and putting him in serious danger. Round 4 also saw Hendricks out-score the champ in the striking department, while bloodying him up with some effective ground and pound. In round 3, GSP more than doubled the challengers striking output (31 to 15 in significant strikes), and when “Bigg Rigg” managed to take GSP to the mat, the champ got back up quickly, without absorbing a single power shot. And in round 5? The striking was almost even (13 to 15), but GSP would take the round by scoring two takedowns and finding success in the clinch, closing the round out with a fairly threatening kimura attempt.So, Hendricks clearly won two rounds, and GSP clearly won two rounds. Even if Hendricks won 2 and 4 in more convincing fashion, GSP still won 3 and 5. People seem to think that if Hendricks won his rounds more dramatically, that means he should win the fight. But that’s not how it goes, guys.This supposed “landslide defeat” came down to a single round: the first round. And it was closer than you probably thought.In round one, GSP landed one more significant strike than Hendricks. Hendricks however landed one more strike overall. Both fighters scored a takedown. GSP had a guillotine attempt recorded, while Hendricks landed a stinging uppercut and some heavy elbows against the cage.Did Hendricks do enough to edge out the champ? It’s entirely possible. Did GSP do enough to deserve the nod? Maybe so.But no matter what you believe, it was in fact a very close fight. A great fight. An entertaining fight, where the champ put everything on the line. He was hurt, he was rocked, he was bloody and he was fighting his heart out. He found himself in a fight with a man who has cinderblocks for fists, and – in what was sure to be a horrifying realization for GSP - he could not get this man to the mat. GSP had to stand. He had to trade with him, risking a knock out at any fraction of a second. A risk that GSP barely avoided, which was evident by the cuts, bruises and bumps all over his face. And at the end of the night, GSP had apparently done enough to get the nod; he was a severely injured champion, but a champion none the less.But now, in the aftermath of George’s greatest test to date, it seems that some of his worst injuries, well… they aren’t so easy to see.St-Pierre first showed signs of the mental damage he had sustained while in his corner, preparing to step back into battle against the hardest-hitting man in his division. It was a quick question. A simple question. And a telling question:“What round is it?”After the fight, GSP struggled to put his words together during his in-cage interview, even apologizing to announcer Joe Rogan at one point. He made mention to incipient brain damage, admitting to having lost time in the cage that night… and although he looked like he had something very important to tell everyone, he thought better of it; perhaps realizing that he might not be in the best state of mind to be making career choices.But Joe Rogan wasn’t having any of that.Joe had to know what GSP was about to say. So he prodded him, and the concussed champion let it out: he was going to take some time off. He had some personal matters to attend to, and he needed some time to sort things out.To say that UFC President Dana White took this news poorly would be the understatement of the year.White was clearly in the Hendricks camp. He felt Hendricks not only beat GSP, but did so in an overwhelmingly convincing fashion, leaving zero doubt in Dana’s head (or any other sane person’s head, as far as he was concerned) that Hendricks had the championship belt stolen out from under him. And he was going to let us all know exactly how he felt, directly after the fight.It would be nice if I could say that Dana took GSP’s obvious personal, mental, physical and emotional struggles into consideration before opening his mouth. It would be nice if I could report to you that Dana seemed to be concerned about St-Pierre’s well-being, first and foremost. But – like most times that Dana needs to get something off of his chest – taking other people into consideration is not a prerequisite of his. No, Dana began to spew his apathetic vitriol the moment he could get a mic in front of his face, demanding that his injured and mentally broken champ – the biggest draw that the UFC has on its roster, mind you – gets back in that cage and gives Hendricks “what he owes him”. In fact, Dana told GSP that he not only owes Hendricks, but he owes the fans, the belt and the company… making it seem like the champ had just pulled off a multi-million dollar heist, and had a getaway driver ready to peel off the moment he came running out of the cage.Imagine that. After giving us every ounce of himself, after making this company millions upon millions of dollars, after fighting every top 5 contender the fans wanted to watch him fight, and after being one of the greatest ambassadors to this sport while devoting his entire life to this company, Dana apparently feels that GSP still “owes us”.Well, after sitting down with the concussed St-Pierre, it seems that Dana will be getting what he wants: GSP is probably coming back to the cage in short order, whether or not it’s the healthy thing for him to do. You see, Dana seems to feel that St-Pierre’s personal issues – issues that apparently include a terminally ill father and a possible unplanned pregnancy – well, “His problems aren’t as bad as he thinks they are,” White told the press after his brief chat with the champ. “They’re personal problems…it might seem like the end of the world but it’s not.” Dana was seemingly moving directly past apathy, acting almost sociopathic in his emotional disconnection to the champ’s personal issues.To any sane person, it’s easy to see that GSP should not be within 10 miles of a cage in his present mental condition – at least not until he sorts out his issues. The last place on earth that a person should be, when suffering with issues that might cost him even the most microscopic amount of focus, is inside of a cage fighting another man. But that’s the first place Dana wants to put him. Sure, he might be emotionally unprepared, which could have truly disastrous consequences for his psyche if he were to lose the rematch, culminating in a complete mental breakdown right before our very eyes… but Dana doesn’t care about any of that. You see, GSP owes it to us to get back in that cage and fight. No matter where he’s at, mentally. No matter what he’s going through. He’s gotta get back in there for us. For the fans. For the belt. For the company. For Hendricks.He owes us.   by TaboolaYou May LikeRead more at 

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OW WOW..
I think it's a new paragraph world record...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom