snowmobile club members ?

Veedy

Reaction score
Website
www.farwestfilms.com
How many people on here are Revelstoke snowmobile club members ?

How many people who are members buy their membership just for the trail pass alone ?

who are the members who want to have a voice when it comes to club decisions and dealings ?

would any of the members ( out of towners included ) be interested in some type of volunteer activity or family event ?

Would you still buy a membership if the fee doubled or even tripled ?

thanks for your feedback in advance.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Ok Veed I'll go first.
Member for the past 10 years+
Buy pass for the trail pass.
I always have some small opinion but seldom get involved.
Time permitting I would like to help. I usually start a fire and stock the woodpile in the am if no one else has done so.
Family fun days are fun for the kids. Mine like the one the Kelowna club has each year.
I'd buy a membership if it doubled.......tripled....hmm?
Heck I think out of town members should pay a premium over locals.
Thanks for gettting involved!!
RS

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright i'll wade into this too. I buy a family membership yearly that gets mine and my wifes sled up the trail. I would like to have more involvement but it is a challenge when we are active volunteers in a number of community things...and we are 7 hours away..I usually roll into revy once a month..and leave broke! We come as a family usually once a year at Christmas but I would come for other family events...

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dito would still buy pass if it trippled also as i dont work in july and august i spend time and money at all the great golf courses in the area so a good portion of my income goes into the area and i am not a local played 48 rounds in the area last season in sixty days so you guys do the math

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too am a member and have been for three years now. I have two sleds so i buy a membership times two. I also live 7 hours down the road just a few minutes from Dobir. I don't agree with paying a premium over locals, we pay a good price and i would be willing to pay more but this should be a level playing field, Christ the locals should be priveleged to have such unbelievable riding in their back yard, Climbmax should load up and come ride the crowsnest pass for a weekend and he might have a different opinion about that.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Veedy, I sensed from some of the comments on snowest that there may some issues that need to be addressed??or am I wrong....would you suggest the board needs some new faces or some input from non-locals?? Is the Glacier private cabin a bigger issue other than it gets on everyones nerves???

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a member and have purchased a membership for the last 8 years since I started riding Revy.
I purchase the membership because I am from Olds area and cannot do much support for the group other than my membership. I only come to revy three to five times a year and rarely ride boulder or frisby so the trail fee is not an issue.
I would like to have a say in some decisions but am not exactly sure what decisions need to be made in the group.
I would be interested in helping out or family activities. My family wants to come but its hard to get them all involved with the cabin being quite a way up the mountain. I would like to take them up the mountain and then go to an area for them to do some toboganning or whatever but not sure where a good spot would be. The language in the cabin is not usually something that I want my kids to listen to and I wish people would be more mindful of that.
If my membership went up I would need to know how the money is being spent on ensuring our sledding areas are kept open. Stiffer penalties to people to go out of bounds and ruin it for the rest of us that actually respect the laws and guidelines around riding. Another reason that I believe the loggers do not want us on there roads is due to the fact that some people do not take radios and communicate with the loggers until they are blocking the road with a long trailer and need the loggers to get them unstuck.
Oh as far as paying a premium to ride in revy. If that happens I will start to bring all of my supplies and not try to support the local stores for clothing, booze, rental equipment, food, gas, diesel etc. I intentionally wait to purchase some of these items in revy just to support the locals. Thanks hopefully others agree with me. ML

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not a member, buy day pass when there. An increase in trail or member fees, will likely generate the same club revenue, maybe a little less as fewer will purchase memberships. the town and businesses will see less revenue as there may be fewer people to spend large sums of money. What are you trying to accomplish with out of town memberships? Sounds a little like a tourist trap, (give me your money and leave). Every service club in the country has the same problem with volunteers, It's work, and not many like it. I'd suggest making it fun, having good times, volunteer to help and receive rebates on trail pass or something.
Oh ya! I think we are in a recession, and disposable income will start to disappear, less sleds, less members, less money.

Trader

Reaction score
I am a member and have been for about 5 years. I am happy to pay for the year and not have to shell out everytime you head up (convenient) but don't think I would be of much use as far as meetings etc because of scheduling. I will always do my part to pick up extra garbage, stock the wood pile, and encourage others to do the same. A little common sense goes a long way.

Veedy

Reaction score
Website
www.farwestfilms.com
Veedy, I sensed from some of the comments on snowest that there may some issues that need to be addressed??or am I wrong....would you suggest the board needs some new faces or some input from non-locals?? Is the Glacier private cabin a bigger issue other than it gets on everyones nerves???

There are no real huge issues, just some simple questions, expecting honest answers. I'm not sure if some people have issues with others that use the mountain, those sound like private matters.
The club and society run a pretty big budget with expenses, and are trying to expand their operation to make Revelstoke the #1 sledding destination, but it takes efforts from all areas of the industry. Hotels, restautants, fuel stations, government, sledders, etc , etc...
raising capitol to increase infastructure is a tough game.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not a member, buy day pass when there. An increase in trail or member fees, will likely generate the same club revenue, maybe a little less as fewer will purchase memberships. the town and businesses will see less revenue as there may be fewer people to spend large sums of money. What are you trying to accomplish with out of town memberships? Sounds a little like a tourist trap, (give me your money and leave). Every service club in the country has the same problem with volunteers, It's work, and not many like it. I'd suggest making it fun, having good times, volunteer to help and receive rebates on trail pass or something.
Oh ya! I think we are in a recession, and disposable income will start to disappear, less sleds, less members, less money.

that was well said
i am not a member also, been to boulder once, love the area but i think it is too busy, we always drive to sicamous, same fees apply, i guess just personal preference.
i think out of towners pay a premium already with the gas, hotel,food,etc etc.i do not think we (out of towners)should get a break on the passes, but i do feel that it is everyones responsability to help out. i see it in lots of areas people just leave there junk everywhere for everyone else to take it out or clean up.... i feel that if everyone does their part there would be less burden on locals or club members or what have you, to clean organize or even try keeping the areas open.
just my 2 cents and wanted to stress this for all areas not just revy. take it for what you will.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the problem i see with membership/passes is, everyone should be a member! everyone has to do there part to protect our rights! but keep it reasonable! i think dealers should add the cost of a membership to every sled they sell! so you buy your new dragon, xp or what ever, it comes with a membership to the area they ride at! not only would it help the club, it would promote awareness to the what the club is all about and why its important we have memberships.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
We were #1. It was an offer of possibly funds from the Hotel Assoc. in Revy to promote snowmobile tourism and the club and society were asked to put together a wish list (trail development, infrastructure, equipment, how could snowmobiling get even better here?).

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
I have been a member for the last two seasons. Only made it out once this season in the middle of November. Always buy family mem. I will still be getting my membership at the beginning of March. been to busy at work. Can't wait time to let the hair down and ride hard and safe. Memberships are a good thing. I would pay more, but how much more right know priceless.
Me and Clifford would like to make it to club meetings but didn't work out yet. Might work better if it was held on a Saturday evening. Next fall we would like to come out and help on the cabins, with enough notice to plan for days of to do so. Both have our own rides to get up to cabins. THATS MY PENNY WORTH.

Reaction score
As a local I thought I would reply to this as well. I have been a member since we moved here about 35 years ago. This does not make me any more special than anyone else and there are members in the club who have been there longer than me. Many non-local members have been members of this club nearly as long as I have. They joined when there was no snowmobile tourism in Revelstoke, they joined because they wanted to belong. We are still seeing that!

I believe the club realizes that many members, both local and non-local join for the trail pass. As far as I am concerned that is alright. This gives us the revenue we need to work with to keep our areas open; it allows us to spend money to send representatives to the various meetings with government and allows us the opportunity to keep members informed about what the club is doing through our newsletters. And it gives us a large voice with government. A club with 500+ members gets listened to better than a club with a couple of dozen members.

With many of the non-local riders and members being so far away it is hard for them to get involved in club functions and decision making. Many local members work shift work or work at jobs that do not allow them to take part in every meeting. But all members are all sent a notice of our Annual General Meeting dates and of our regular meeting dates through the newsletter. We have had many members offer their help when they are in town, from cleaning the cabin to helping out on Snowmobile Patrol. Many now do self-patrolling of the areas and remind others that there are restricted areas and why they are closed to sledding.

This club, like many others, runs on volunteers but they are becoming far and few between. Some decisions made within the club bother some members but those decisions are made by those who show up at the meetings. There is always those who do not like the topics discussed at the meetings, the politics and the land issues. We have tried to change that but the fact remains that as a member you are entitled to hear what is happening that may and will affect your riding areas.

Revelstoke snowmobiling has a long history and a varied one. Many fights have been fought to protect our areas and to keep them open while at the same time trying to continue to be a 'club'. There has been talk along the way over the past few years as to the necessity of the club even continuing to exist. And at times it has been hard to continue as a club. But we continue to try.

Membership fees! There has been no discussion at club meetings to raise fees by doubling or even tripling them. If this issue comes up, club members will be encouraged to comment on this before any decisions are made.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regulation Ron

xp val

Reaction score
I have been buying my memberships for 6 straight years now, thats my way of supporting the club, if it tripled hmmm not to sure about that one.:nono:. Although I think there should be a bit of a membership $$$ increase for next year, it has not increased for some time now. If memberships tripled I think there would be a big decrease in memberships,there IS other areas to ride at, just not as good maybe.I would like to volunteer and be involved in the decision's that are being made, but I think I'm too far away to be of any use. Premiums for out of town members, why???:nono:The snowmobile tourisim has been supporting revy for many,many years. For revy to become the #1 sledding destination again one needs the support of city council and the mayor ,we all know they support the ski hill more than they do the sledding.
Just my 2 cents

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i see your back from your road trip was it fun also going to dooo th polker rally on sunday not expecting a lot of the white but looking to get a stress break and have a little fun tied up with stuff tomorrow re: dad but should be around in the pm

Top Bottom