Snow conditions in golden this weekend Jan 24,25,26

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope... I want to say they're a little hard to find but can maybe track them down at some electronic shops in the City or even out in BC. I had a chance to grab an old one from the InLaws out in Golden but backed out when we moved away.... kicking myself now a days. Not sure if they're around too often anymore. Forestry radios, loggers', etc.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope... I want to say they're a little hard to find but can maybe track them down at some electronic shops in the City or even out in BC. I had a chance to grab an old one from the InLaws out in Golden but backed out when we moved away.... kicking myself now a days. Not sure if they're around too often anymore. Forestry radios, loggers', etc.

maybe the source has one...if not ill just wast at the bottom and follow someone in..i hate being "that guy".

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but check GSR they might rent radios??

Here's the forecast and summary posted last night on CAC. If you follow the CAC site you can keep track of not only the ratings, but the weather and impact it has on the snowpack. KNOW YOUR SNOWPACK, it's the first thing in avalanche safety. Snow, wind, sun, temps..it's what you need to watch almost daily to know what to expect in the alpine. Soooo many people ask if there's pow, if there's fresh…IF they actually checked conditions they would know what the snow is like. :)
Almost everywhere in SE and Central BC has seen big winds, no snow and higher alpine temps…followed by lower night temps. Hoar frost is forming in shade, snow is consolidating in the alpine. An inversion moves in this weekend. Should be above freezing and sunny at alpine levels.

We will be in Silent Pass on Friday. Going to build a fire and have a bit of a social and ride… do some touring around. If you see a fire, come and visit :D

[h=2]Avalanche Summary[/h]On Wednesday, sluffing and very thin wind slabs were observed size 1 in steep terrain in the recent new snow. On Tuesday, explosive avalanche control produced avalanches up to size 2 that ran on the basal facets on N and NW aspects in the alpine. No natural activity has been reported for several days.

[h=2]Snowpack Summary[/h]The recent dry, warm weather has generally consolidated the upper snowpack. Old, stubborn hard wind slabs may exist under a skiff of new snow. Steep, sun exposed features are most likely seeing a daily melt-freeze cycle.
A basal facet/crust combo (weak sugary snow above and below a crust) near the ground is still a concern in some areas. The depth of this layer makes triggering an avalanche on it unlikely (maybe a heavy load on a thin spot in steep terrain, rapid temperature change, or cornice fall), but the consequences would be large and very destructive.

[h=2]Weather Forecast[/h]A high pressure ridge is once again set to bring dry conditions with warm alpine temperatures.
Thursday: Dry. Alpine temperatures initially cool, around -5C, but rising late in the afternoon. Ridgetop winds light, up to 15 km/h from the NW.
Friday and Saturday: The inversion is fully in place, with a strong above freezing layer from around 2300 to 3400m. Expect some Valley cloud, that may actually be quite high in places, and strong alpine sunshine. Ridgetop winds 10-20 km/h from the NW.

- See more at: Purcells : Latest Bulletins : Bulletins : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

Top Bottom