snow check 174 or 163?

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This year I went with the T# 174 and really have not stuck it into that deep stuff it so deserves I was on a 163 2.5 last year
I do love this sled & how it handles all the other conditions though and I do enjoy the track and power
This sled has the ability as others have said to slow it down and pick your line and it is also is a little like having a little more power
as the track hook ups so well and gets you up on the snow allowing you to come out of the throttle once moving and therefore operating it easier
Put the raptors on this sled all around & you will love them Pound up and down the trail and stay on the straight line
The 174 does not flip around as easily and it jumps a lot straighter
Again I so wished I could get it into 3-4 ft of fluff
There are ups and downs to the longer track

Enjoy both

birdie

Limbo

Reaction score
My previous sleds were a '13 154x and '14 154 freeride turbo. Both these sleds were a handful to get me where I wanted to go (fun though), and so I was not learning many of the skills needed to ride these places. Having the 174 allowed me to maintain a bit slower pace at first and practice things like throttle control, footwork and braking in a sidehill, my speed has picked up significantly since. Not having to worry about busting out the shovel every time I tried something new has been awesome for me. I can look farther ahead, stop reacting and plan a better line now. Is this sled's capability ridiculous, yes it is. Is it the answer for all snow conditions and riding areas, no. With my next purchase will probably go shorter, but I believe I will keep this 174 for a long time.

Old mtn. man

Reaction score
I have had 143`s, 163`s, and now a 174. This year I have ridden with 155`s,162`s,163`s and I have gone everywhere that they have in the trees with ABSOLUTELY no problem. It does not push any more in the corners than the others and it trenches one hell of a lot LESS than the others. I run my scratchers when I need to and put them up when I don`t and my sliders still look like new. I have been riding in the mountains all my life, and as far as I can see so far, there is no draw back to the 174.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fair enough but 3 of my riding partners own the T3 version and ive spent a decent amount of time on them. main conclusing being a 174 version will climb a wall a 163 version will flip over backwards repeatedly

The 174T3 is a great sled, but you can put a 163 up some insainly steep stuff.....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 174T3 is a great sled, but you can put a 163 up some insainly steep stuff.....

sure can. actually the same stuff the 174 will go. just sometimes takes putting your body over the handlebars and leaning way forward.

but line the 174 and the 163 up at the bottom of a steep incline the 174 will far outshine it regardless of what body english you put into it. Not saying it wont do it but the rider just needs to approach the situation differently. like we have for the last 20 years LOL

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sure can. actually the same stuff the 174 will go. just sometimes takes putting your body over the handlebars and leaning way forward.

but line the 174 and the 163 up at the bottom of a steep incline the 174 will far outshine it regardless of what body english you put into it. Not saying it wont do it but the rider just needs to approach the situation differently. like we have for the last 20 years LOL

Yeah for sure. I find throttle control is actually even more important than body english with the 163 when climbing short steep walls. You can't just hold it wide open haha

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have been running the 174 for a number of years .
2.5 then 3 inch and back to the 2.5 inch.
For me the 174 is a lot less effort and the snow has to be deep for it to be fun.
Pending the year a 163 would be a far better all around sled. IMO
The 2015 T3 174 is a great sled but if folks were truthful with them selfs I bet a high percentage wouldn't do it again.
It was new for a production sled so a lot jumped on the band wagon that probably wouldn't use the sled for what it was made for .
Most years if you live and only ride steep and deep ? Absolutely !
Like lilduke said a 163 for all around terrain and conditions is pretty hard to beat.
I think this is why the other manufactures are not jumping in as it is a small market.
I guess we will see how how the #'s go in the next year as to how many are 163 or 174?
"Doo sales"
IMO

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Doo the 174".... Worth the $.... Just like they always said way back when: "the tracks will never get any bigger than 136", then it was 144" then 151",153, 154, 155", then 162, 163 and 166".... Now 174".. Here to stay, and stay on top, until the 184" comes out ;) ..... Love mine!!

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from a 2011 146XP to a 2014 163 XM last year. The 163XM was so much easier to handle and play with. I thought all the hype about a long track killing your fun was BS. Well yesterday i road a friends 2015 146 XM and boy was i wrong. The short track is a blast to rip around on and i immediately knew that i will never buy a 174. It has also made me pretty sure my next new purchase will be a 154 3". Strap on a turbo and you have it all.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from a 2011 146XP to a 2014 163 XM last year. The 163XM was so much easier to handle and play with. I thought all the hype about a long track killing your fun was BS. Well yesterday i road a friends 2015 146 XM and boy was i wrong. The short track is a blast to rip around on and i immediately knew that i will never buy a 174. It has also made me pretty sure my next new purchase will be a 154 3". Strap on a turbo and you have it all.

When you say a 146 is a blast to rip around on I fully agree with you but when the snow is deep it turns to hating your life pretty quick so it really depends where you ride. Even a 154 needs a very skilled rider to navigate the steep and deep without being a stuckfest. The 163/174 are just plain fun for everyone when the snow is good

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take 154" almost everywhere my buddies on 163/174's go. Only diff is I got er pinned all the time! Very few times a year I want longer track.

77Crash77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 163 and have ridden a 174 side by side. The 63 I found was a lot more fun if you like twisty lines and jumps. The 174 I found was a totally different machine. Very smooth and tame. Think of the 163 as a trophy truck and the 174 as a peterbuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you say a 146 is a blast to rip around on I fully agree with you but when the snow is deep it turns to hating your life pretty quick so it really depends where you ride. Even a 154 needs a very skilled rider to navigate the steep and deep without being a stuckfest. The 163/174 are just plain fun for everyone when the snow is good

i get stuck just about as much on my 163 as i did on my 146. The only difference is i have to go deeper and steeper to find terrain to bury myself and when i do get stuck its a lot more work to flip out. With the new 3' on the 154, im pretty sure that thing will go everywhere my 163 2.5 will go, and that is pretty much everywhere.

Tough decision on next years snow check for me.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out few weeks ago - was in about 2ft of heavy powder - the 63's could not go where the 74 was going ! Guess all depends on wht riding style you prefer ! For me 174! IT just goes pretty much anywhere i want to go with ease !

Top Bottom