snow check 174 or 163?

fluent 420

Reaction score
Guys should i go 174 or 163 , is there any real difference besides the 5 inches. im putting in my order tommorrow and was thinking of getting the 174.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't feel there is a huge difference between the 2 track lengths. You can't go wrong with either. I like the extra track for me as it allows me to slow things down when I need to because of the extra flotation. Pick with your heart.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel there is a big difference between the 63 and 74. The 74 climbs better further and easier. Like men mentioned you cAn slow down pick your line and keep on going. It stays flat climbing and does not wheelie out of control. The 163 will go everywhere the 174 goes but it takes way more control and speed. For decent snow the 174 will always be my first choice now as it's just a monster. Having said that I do miss the fun factor of the 163 howit wheelies all over the place and jumps a bit better. You have a tough choice to make but think about how you ride before making your decision

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 163 T3 and would personally never go longer. Its just to much sled IMO.

The 174 does climb a little better and you can slow things down a bit.

With my 163 I could go 2mph through deep snow in the trees if I want and a longer tunnel ext would just make it that much easier for me to bend up.

I vote 163 or maybe even a 154.....

fluent 420

Reaction score
Im a bigger guy whos never owned a skidoo, this is why im leaning towards the 174 for the flotation. i heard the 174 sliders wear out fast can anyone confirm this?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im a bigger guy whos never owned a skidoo, this is why im leaning towards the 174 for the flotation. i heard the 174 sliders wear out fast can anyone confirm this?

I know my 163 ones wear out fast...lol Run scratchers and add the front wheel kit(think it comes stock for 2016) and you'll get good life out of them.

TKrebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as you run your scratchers diligently. got 1600kms outta my first set, mostely the Renshaw trail too.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the 174 is epic on those killer snow days, sadly this hasn't been a year to show it's strengths. In my case I wouldn't go bigger than a 163 3", there just aren't enough days that you will have a hard time venturing through the trees with a 163. No one likes easy, makes you a better rider

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the 174 is epic on those killer snow days, sadly this hasn't been a year to show it's strengths. In my case I wouldn't go bigger than a 163 3", there just aren't enough days that you will have a hard time venturing through the trees with a 163. No one likes easy, makes you a better rider

Haha that's BS the 174 has pushed me well beyond my limits of my 163. And the best part is the grin on your face when you look back at your track and say WTF...the 174 is an awesome machine in 8"+ of snow. Which is the majority of the year with the exception of this one

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha that's BS the 174 has pushed me well beyond my limits of my 163. And the best part is the grin on your face when you look back at your track and say WTF...the 174 is an awesome machine in 8"+ of snow. Which is the majority of the year with the exception of this one

The 163 you had was also not a T3

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys should i go 174 or 163 , is there any real difference besides the 5 inches. im putting in my order tommorrow and was thinking of getting the 174.

What are your riding this season? If you're coming from a 154, going to a 174 will feel more foreign than a 163 to start. May just take a bit longer getting used to.
163 vs. 174 really depends on where you're riding and who you're riding with. For me personally - the 163 is appropriate.

Know of a few that bought a 174 and don't really ride much - don't need that sled to ride the trail and sit a boulder cabin, unless you're just going for a fashion show.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your wearing out sliders it's because there's not enough snow! Which means if this is your concern then you don't need a 174 t3. You need a scandic. I'm tried of people complaining about wearing out sliders if your riding trails and no snow conditions don't buy a t3 there made for deep snow not low snow trails

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a learning curve for riders this year that bought the T3 platform and are wearing out sliders. If the snow is sparse which it has been on lower trails most of the year you need to run scratchers and possibly 2 sets or put the idler wheel kit back in and run one set. This is a deep lug track and in most cases the actual slider is not running in snow on a weak trail. Its just something the newbies to the 3 inch track need to learn about.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey this is a prospective from a rider at a modest skill level. I have rode the 174 this year (800 km all in Dec Jan) I am one of the guys that had to learn the hard way about slider wear. How ever slider change out is cheap and easy. This sled (or any other Hi Perfomace mountain sled) has more out of the crate then I can use. I like the 174. I feel it bails me out when I am going to slow or turn out later then I ought to etc etc. As far as having only a few deep powder day it only takes one of those deep powder days to make you happy to have the long track. In the mean time this the sled turns unbelievable easy it is hard to believe its 12 ft long.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a few of you have said it well it allows you to go slow and pick your lines. Takes the "fun" out of it. I think the 174 with the 3" track isnt fun it needs more hp plain and simple. But saying that I wouldnt go back to a 146 for more "fun" there is a good balance and its the 163.

Spend a deep day in the trees with guys who ride lots in a season and watch what and where they can put a 154 stock wimpy 2.5" track.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This comes down to personal preference and riding ability and styles. Lilduke does a lot of jumping so a 74 is something he is not comfortable from what I have seen of Maxwells Vids he likes to go places he previously could not on last years models. There are comprises to each choice and there are no wrong choices just understand what you want to do with sled and learn from others. I have a 174 and went through a set of sliders quickly then added wheels and have not had issues since. I personally have not ridden with many t3 163 inch but I can start at the bottom of hill and beat a 63 2.5 up that certain hill when he takes a run at it. Personally I wish I could have two sleds.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have the 163, Now with 1900 km, Sliders are still good, use my scratchers all the time when going up the trail. They do wear faster than the 2 1/2" track though, We rented a 2015 skidoo in McBride on the weekend with the exact same mileage and there was no wear on the sliders, and there original as well. I found the 163 to be a bit faster of the line and it lifted the front end easier, Also I like to do hard carves going down hills and through the trees and I do find the 163 easier. Also Plenty of power with the 163, never seems to power out, set your clickers right and your good. Fun sled. I did have surgery on my left shoulder as well in mid July and I'm glad I purchased this sled.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
For the riding I do, the 174 is most appropriate! I "take a friend snowmobiling" and rode 30 days so far this year (not a bunch but not bad for a poor snow year). I take a lot of S&M flatlanders out and tour them around the Elk Valley. I did it for quite a few years on a 163. The 174 just gets where you want it to go and it gets there quite easily if you want. If someone is stuck in the trees, I have no trouble with the 174 getting up beside them to help them out (that is the beauty of the "extra time factor"). You can pick lines and enjoy the ride instead of ending up with your sled in a tree well (I have had the 174 there as well just not as much) and being close to wrecking something.

When I am out with riders who don't get stuck, I like to explore the areas at the end of the rides I did with the 163's. It is so much more enjoyable getting up there and I appreciate what Maxwell said, "And the best part is the grin on your face when you look back at your track and say WTF".......

It has also been mentioned, so much depends on what you want to do and what your riding style is. Tough choice and I went through it last year and I am a happy camper going with the 174!

Top Bottom