Snow at the torpy!!!!!!!

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always try and follow all the rules. I wouldn't want anymore areas closed, but man it's hard to keep up with all the closures. We were riding up Narrow lake a few weeks ago and realized we were very close to being in a closed area and we were only out to go ice fishing.

Thanks for pointing out the closure at the Captain as we never ride out there and had talked about going and may not have realized it was closed.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The closures for these areas are only for higher elevations....if you read the maps you will see they are in meters, but can easily be converted to feet.....(approx 4000+ feet). So, if you are ice fishing which is usually at low elevation these closures won't effect you. That is why it's nice to have a GPS to track coordinates, you may not realize when you're at the Torpy Range for instance, that you've ridden out of bounds into closed areas.
These closures have been in effect for awhile now, it has been hard to swallow as some as our favorite areas have been taken away...ie The Dell, but like it or not the closures are there and I don't believe they'll be going anywhere anytime soon......:mad::mad::mad:

YamaDoo PolCat

Reaction score
Actually the PGSC has been working very hard on a deal with BC Parks to let the PGSC members ride more of the Torpy. The club membership is so small that it looks like we might get a lot of riding area back again. Permit only. Look at it as a cost to ride, free loaders still have some areas to ride.

By the way it costs the club about $1,500 to groom from the McGregor Camp to the cabin and back, so anyone looking to donate diesel leave an email on the PGSC website.

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have asked for along time at all the sled shops where to donate some money to help pay for the groomer. We all enjoy the great ride in and out of The Torpy so why shouldn't we pay for it(we do everywhere else) I have been looked at strangly. I have received a few laughs. I have also recieved some shoulder shrugging.

I realize I could go to a meeting and give some money but why not put up a donation box at each of our sled shops in town so when we run in for oil, parts whatever we can just put some money in the box.

I'm sure someone will have some smart answer for this so I will wait for a reply I guess...........

Hope everyone plays safe this weekend, conditions are not great with the new snow

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually the PGSC has been working very hard on a deal with BC Parks to let the PGSC members ride more of the Torpy. The club membership is so small that it looks like we might get a lot of riding area back again. Permit only. Look at it as a cost to ride, free loaders still have some areas to ride.

By the way it costs the club about $1,500 to groom from the McGregor Camp to the cabin and back, so anyone looking to donate diesel leave an email on the PGSC website.

It would sure be nice if more of the sledders that ride out the Torpy would buy memberships....our family has bought a family membership for the last 5 yrs, and we do what we can to support the club. I helped organize the avalanche course last winter, because I felt that was something that was needed here in PG with the amount of people riding in the mountains. To our surprise we had only MINIMUM numbers and the course went ahead anyway (A BIG thank you to Lori from Zac's Tracs).

I find here in PG it's hard to get people involved, everybody wants to reap the benefits with nothing to give back in return. For example, people were complaining there was no wood at the Torpy cabin, but did they offer to help? They like the nice, smooth groomed trail out to the Torpy but they don't offer money for fuel or buy memberships....

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Torpy was good riding on Saturday, the Burn still has minimal snow.....stumps are still 5 feet out of the ground and all the small trees aren't even covered yet.....but once on top lots of fresh to be had. Shocking how low the snowpack is this year, still need a few big dumps for sure. The trail in is rough as heck, especially after the Pass Lk. turnoff....but that's to be expected with the low snow year we're having!!:i_need_snow::i_need_snow::i_need_snow:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a continuation of my last post, here are a few pics from January 8, 2011

Attachments

• DSC02055.jpg
    DSC02055.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC02066.jpg
    DSC02066.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC02058.jpg
    DSC02058.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC02067.jpg
    DSC02067.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 141

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update YamDoo PolCat. Maybe with this snow we are getting conditions will inprove quickly. We were in one of our secret spots out by Purden and there was 4 feet of fluff, no base believe me when I say 4ft I spent a good deal of the day stuck.Fun was had by all. Sorry no pic's but will get some this weekend if it warms up.

mxracer328

Reaction score
so, how are the conditions, i heard theres lots of snow now, anyone have recent pics?

Top Bottom