sliver mine

dave55

Reaction score
Just woundering if sliver mine is good to go this year yet and looking for some one to hook up with to go riding with in there never been and want to go let me know.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just woundering if sliver mine is good to go this year yet and looking for some one to hook up with to go riding with in there never been and want to go let me know.

Where is sliver mine?

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's anything like Silver Mines, it ain't for the faint of heart. Experienced rider terrain for sure. Lots of avy paths.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Silver Mines area is good to go....but I wouldn't be going until the conditions settle out. The avys on the way in hadn't slid yet, but they gotta let go soon! Super sketchy if you don't know the area, it's a high danger and not for mountain newbies for sure.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Long ride in, not groomed, sketchy terrain, ya you just shouldn't go!!!

dave55

Reaction score
Ya avy looks risky right now so will hold out for a bit, I have been riding in it mountains for a long time so will not have a problem getting around even in the worst of things.

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
way to early for the mines guys, let the hangers fall and the spring load let go then its go time. it is an awsome area but dont fool yourselves it is extreme and not for the faint at heart and shouldnt be touched till spring riding conditions settle out. this is one of goldens gems but if not researched and ridden in the proper conditions it is a death trap. hardcore area but lets play it smart guys

lenz

Reaction score
What is the road like when turning at km 17. Are guys driving down the road or are they parking at the 17 km corner?

stonycat

Reaction score
Stick with valmount still no snow in silent pass or silver mines

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody been into the mines lately. Thinking of possibly going in this weekend depending on Avy conditions once the weekend rolls around. More wondering on a place to turn around a couple trailers?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody been into the mines lately. Thinking of possibly going in this weekend depending on Avy conditions once the weekend rolls around. More wondering on a place to turn around a couple trailers?

Every trail was icy and hard the last weekend so SM might be a long rough ride. Some guys we talked to said Silent was pounded, trail in was scratchers all the way and the road in sucked (break-up is on), so SM will be the same. We had great snow above 7,000 ft but it was wet and hard below that. Trails are starting to melt already down low, it felt like mid-April not Mid-March. Temp was 8 C on Sat in town.

Saw one of the biggest avy debris piles of my life, where it cut at the road it must have been 30 ft down and what was left looked like it was just oatmeal snow when it came down, it was completed saturated at the top of the zone and slid right to ground from what we could tell, it was as hard as diamonds since it hard re-froze. It had come down within the last couple days. There would have been no way to shovel it when it came down if you got caught in it. We could see some other debris piles but didn't get close to them, but to give you some scale we could see the debris pile over the tops of the trees!!!!!!

Dug 2 pits (1 at 5,000 ft and 1 at 7,000 ft) and found relative stability in both but the upper 50 cms of new snow was not bonding as well to the layers underneath up top. From there down it was fairly well consolidated and didn't encounter rain or major hoar layers. One pit down about 1.8 m there was a little crust, but it was harder to read the snow crystals as the temp was warm, the sun was shining and they were starting to melt. Temp gradient in the snow pack was relatively uniform between -2.8 and -4 degrees over a 3 m depth both times (2nd one was within a degree). The latest storm was rain up to about 4,800 ft, heavy coastal type snow to about 6,200 and then progressively lighter after that. Its great snow with nice base but still able to get stuck in spots where it has blown in over features etc, lots of wind-loaded features on the lee sides. The wind was blowing fairly hard Sunday morning and so I would suspect even more wind loading, it snowed pretty good intermittently on Sat. If you decide to go to SM, pls be very careful in avy alley and up top on the bigger hills, if some of that stuff cuts loose it will probably slide very very big from what we saw.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Modman. May just have to stay away this weekend if things could get dicey at all since we have some guys new to the area riding with us. Will be keeping an eye on the conditions all week and i am thinking we will dig a pit and do some testing on Friday wherever we end up.

Cheers

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The road into silent pass is good till km 21 then a single vehicle rut to the staging area at km35 trail was groomed Thursday an here were only about 25 sleds in Friday by Saturday am it was pretty rough already but not bad( hard to get it real smooth when it doesn't freeze ophard over night) scratchers are a good idea saw lots of sleds without was still lots of good snow up there in the trees on Saturday at least

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were in there a couple weeks ago and it was my first time up.. Huge area once you make the couple pulls up to the glacier, great place but you need to pay attn to your surroundings, it's rugged in there.. Snow was decent and weather fantastic.. Trip down that alley isn't my favorite..

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're seeing a natural cycle now...haven't had any all season really but it's started now. Loose slabs letting go on convex's and at rocky outcrops. Most are coming from up high and breaking a couple feetish down. Snow is super heavy in a lot of spots...you could never dig anyone out, it's almost impossible to dig your sled out. We had snow building up in our front ends that was completely hindering steering...blocked solid and no way to turn your skis even with full throttle and full counter steer-nothing. Felt like you're steering just locked up...makes for some beauty stucks.:rolleyes: Snow was nicer yesterday as it was colder, but major winds and lots of windloading. Gotta be some big stuff coming down in Silver Mines and Rocky soon if it hasn't already, nothing's really let loose yet this year and it usually has by now. They're saying it's a low probability/high consequence time...when it lets go it's going to be nasty!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Went into silver mines today for the hell of it We didn't play anywhere just went for a look.

The pond isn't frozen but is fairly deep powder along the trail

Was snowing good on the way out.
Couldn't see much of anything.

Heard there were some caves and some good historical stuff back in there I would like to see sometime

Sent from my iPhone using

Top Bottom