Slider Wear After Check

jetpuff77

Reaction score
Not trying to plug up the forum with another slider wear post. But after reading the "check your slider" thread I decided to check out my sliders after my first day trip on the new T3

first my sled is a 163 t3, Can, pre-filter kit. it has 60km on the odometer break in still says 85

Sliders are worn about 60-75 percent ( 1/8" from wear line) at or around where the factory scratchers mount to the rails (maybe just ahead of the scratchers) found this out once we loaded up at swan hills, slider debris all over the skid. We rode about 1 km on the road till we found a cut line with good fresh pow and rode that all day. My clips also turned a nice brown,purple colour as well. The sled did get get a bit hot when riding but it did not overheat. I did have the factory scratchers down for this ride, but I previously rode about 20km (ditch banging) when we got that first big dump in dec and being a spanking new sled owner with a raging dinger my first ride i forgot to drop them

problem is I'm supposed to go to Renshaw this weekend and am worried about blowing a slider or even worse, damage the track. I need a solid solution to resolving this problem asap. what are you guys using on your t3's to minimize the slider wear and keep your temps down?

im going to try and track down:

new sliders

bogey/ idler wheel kit (does this interfere with stock scratcher location??) is it really beneficial?

maybe try and track down some ice storm ski scratchers (does this work with a stock track or does the flicked up snow blow by the track?)

i just dont know what works best, was hoping a few of you could shed some light on this. I really wish the dealership i purchased my sled from warned me of this or gave be a recommendation when i made my purchase ( the did so for a bunch of other accessories)

also, the foam on the inside of the panels are holding water, are you guys removing all of the foam? can i melt the plastics if i remove the tin foil foam on the can side? i have a slp can

Last edited:

John Cambell

Reaction score
I had a slider problem. I upgraded to a slider that could stand way more heat/ friction. Barely any wear after that. Just check what the temperature rating is.

jetpuff77

Reaction score
I didn't think a 20 km trip in the ditches with 1.5-2 feet of powder would be a detriment to my sliders?? and I didnt plan on doing much ditch banging with it, just got the itch..

Does any one know if i have to clip my entire track if i go with the hyperfax or similar sliders? or will every second bar work?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The nature of the beast, as I have learned. Boogie wheels up by the front scratchers (they do not interfere), extra scratchers (in the skid and/or on the skis) and good luck in finding the boogie wheels. You will find 163" sliders but the stock 174's are nowhere to be found (in a truck somewhere between Quebec and Alberta).

Yes, IMHO, get rid of the foam throughout the sled unless you want to carry around all that water/ice. The only problem I have ever had with removing the foam on the right hand panel was when the sled tipped on that side and pushed the panel onto the can. That was on the 2013.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Foam is only for the noise emissions .
Ditch riding can be hard on sliders due to the all the crap in the snow .
Sand and small gravel from snowplow's .

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you say there is slider debris all over the skid this means somewhere along your journey they got extreeemely hot. possibly that bit of road riding you did the scratchers wouldnt be very functtional on that stuff. it sure doesnt take long for them to get hot and once they do you can destroy a set of factory sliders in about 15 seconds. the 3" track is so high off the ground no natural snow is getting into the skid frame on hardpack

jetpuff77

Reaction score
ordered a set of idler wheels.. roll the dice i get them in February sometime.. in the meantime, installing a set of ice storms on the front ski's. also ripping all the foam out of the sled.

changing sliders tonight if i can find replacements. so far the dealerships don't carry aftermarket sliders, just stock components. And they don't recommend switching to an AM slider..

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
ordered a set of idler wheels.. roll the dice i get them in February sometime.. in the meantime, installing a set of ice storms on the front ski's. also ripping all the foam out of the sled.

changing sliders tonight if i can find replacements. so far the dealerships don't carry aftermarket sliders, just stock components. And they don't recommend switching to an AM slider..

Where are you getting the ski Ice Storm's from?

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see there are several aftermarket sliders, but they are listed in inches. Anyone know the length of the 174 slider

jetpuff77

Reaction score
Scratchers are at Martin, not sure if they are the ski ones or not, either way i was gonna make them work on the ski's or the rails

found a set of HYPERFAX sliders and im going for it, This should substitute the need for extra wheels for now, do i have to clip the rest of my track or should i be ok with every second row clipped?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see there are several aftermarket sliders, but they are listed in inches. Anyone know the length of the 174 slider

Just buy buy a set from doo. There is nothing special about sliders. Any 163/162 from 2008 to current will work. Or seeing how your from farm land.... Call recreation supply! I can get parts in 2 days from them, always have stock.

jetpuff77

Reaction score
Yanked the skid out of my sled last night and slid in some Hiperfax, also mounted some ice storm ski scratchers

One thing i noticed once my skid was out is the shafts that the four skid mounting bolts go do not have grease zerks on them, and the aluminum shafts are dry, is this common for the T3's. There are holes for grease zerks though?? Anyone have an idea?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is by design. all the weight is carried by the brass end caps which i grease when i have them out but never the shafts. there is actually holes in the steel housing to let water in and out

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is by design. all the weight is carried by the brass end caps which i grease when i have them out but never the shafts. there is actually holes in the steel housing to let water in and out

Hey tell em also about the new rail design maxwell, you know when you hit a hole or little ridge wrong and the impact used to compress your spine and neck and sometimes knock the wind out of you !!
Doo's new rail design, the rail bends in the middle and absorbs most of that force, (you'll need new rails and sliders , sorry on backorder), but…. your back and neck, no issues. heehee :)

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just buy buy a set from doo. There is nothing special about sliders. Any 163/162 from 2008 to current will work. Or seeing how your from farm land.... Call recreation supply! I can get parts in 2 days from them, always have stock.

That's just not True Oler, The stock Doo ones are crap....

Top Bottom