sledding on Chestermere Lake?

02 Summit

Reaction score
I took my sled out to Chestermere lake the other day for a quick rip. I unloaded at the boat launch. I noticed a large sign saying to not go under the bridge. Is this relating to people with vehicles out on the lake for ice fishing or does this refer to sleds as well? Is there anything about the area around the bridge that would make ice conditions any different than anywhere else on the lake? I didn't go under the bridge because I wasn't sure, but it got boring really quick to be stuck on the small side.

Thanks

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I took my sled out to Chestermere lake the other day for a quick rip. I unloaded at the boat launch. I noticed a large sign saying to not go under the bridge. Is this relating to people with vehicles out on the lake for ice fishing or does this refer to sleds as well? Is there anything about the area around the bridge that would make ice conditions any different than anywhere else on the lake? I didn't go under the bridge because I wasn't sure, but it got boring really quick to be stuck on the small side.

Thanks

The ice is probably not froze or very thin under the bridge. Usually due to current.

Alfred

Reaction score
The ice under the bridge is not very thick at any time of the year. This is due to the current. Defintely do not go under the bridge.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avoid the ice under any bridge....current is one reason and the bridge surface collects heat from the sun and this is transferred to the whole structure

many a sledder has suffered misfortune near the base of the bridge

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I know what sign your talking about. I have gone under it lots of times.Just pin it and you wont have a problem LOL. i usually just do a drive buy and make sure there is no open water and go over fairly fast.Or i have gone over the rocks under the west side of the bridge.

I think its thin there because of the water flow and the salt that gets splashed over the edge from the road......

ridindirtym3

Reaction score
My buddy put his quad thru right the ice right along the bridge 2 winters ago.. He wasn't trying to go under either - just by.. Falling thru wasn't the worst part either..it was the recovery. Had to dive in and hook up straps and winch w/ 2 other quads to get it out... What a gong show - I'd just stay away..

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would there be for current in Chestermere ????? They drop the water level in the winter, and shut off the flow from the dams on both ends, in, and out, closed = no current.

Right or wrong ????

75crew

Reaction score
I was there on boxing day. Plenty of sleds and quads back and forth under the bridge. No open water and no issues. Wouldn't say it's super thick and I could see how it might be sketchy but right now it isn't.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good question, we're looking for a place to ride tomorrow that's close to Calgary or Airdrie. Like really close (30min or less)!

See Calgary area ditch ride (in the main sled area), a few people are looking to go out.

There were some well drifted in ditch's just North East of Airdrie today when I was out running the dogs.

Cliff Clavin

Reaction score
Hoping to go out this weekend to get the dust out of the sleds....has anyone been out to the lake lately? I am assuming the lake is still pretty solid but we have had some warm weather.....Also, if you unload by tim hortons as another poster suggested, does that put you on the large side of the lake?

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hoping to go out this weekend to get the dust out of the sleds....has anyone been out to the lake lately? I am assuming the lake is still pretty solid but we have had some warm weather.....Also, if you unload by tim hortons as another poster suggested, does that put you on the large side of the lake?
No you will have to go under the bridge to get to the large side of the lake. I haven't been out so I can't say for the ice.

Cliff Clavin

Reaction score
No you will have to go under the bridge to get to the large side of the lake. I haven't been out so I can't say for the ice.

Thanks Wally. Is there another location to unload that allows direct access to the large side? As you can tell, I am unfamiliar with Chestermere... :)

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks Wally. Is there another location to unload that allows direct access to the large side? As you can tell, I am unfamiliar with Chestermere... :)

I have parked buy the outlet canal on the SE corner of the lake.I just park off to the side of the road a bit.Or i have parked in were that camp chestermere is and had no problems with that ether.

chestermerenew.jpg

wmcquay

Reaction score
I live on chestermere lake I have been driving sleds under that bridge at boat launch area by tim horton's for 20 years with no problems. Saw trucks driving on lake last weekend.The problems start when the weather warms up ice does get thin and people still going on lake that why the signs.You can also ride down the irrigation canals

Top Bottom