sledder missing in Revy - FOUND Dec 10 - RIP Travis

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello there. You and your son ever want to ride in the fernie area send me a PM and my 15 year son will take you two out
I respect your point 007sevens. I did it purposely because I sense that some people feel a need to do something positive to memorialize a tragedy like this. If I'm wrong, the thread will revert to condolences only. I welcome the moderator is welcome to move my first post to a new thread if it's deemed best.

If I'm on to something, when those of us who grieve this tragedy see the signs, Travis will be remembered. If his family hears of the effort, they may regard it as a memorial. I'm past the sadness, past the anger, and now I want to help reduce the chances of it happening again. I'm sorry if I'm getting too far ahead of others in this process.

Poor Travis tried to interact with others on the hill, and like most of us, I think he may have hoped for acceptance but was afraid to impose. The only thing more that he could have done is to wear a sign "mentors and teachers welcome". I'm not blaming anyone who met him or saw him that day. This happens all the time amongst humans. I just hope this community as a group will consider other ways to facilitate helping others into the sport safely. I've seen the great intentions demonstrated here, and I've witnessed those in the group who are good at leading, and taking action. I've been assisted and counselled by a few, and I'm very thankful. I hope to pay it forward. Maybe I'll be able to identify someone in a parking lot and reach out. Maybe I'll find that person at a muster area identified for both newbies and experienced but lone riders.

I see many threads asking to join a group, not so many inviting new members to a group. There are great intentions, but there aren't a lot of plans for meeting up on the public side of these pages. Hopefully on the PM side it happens more than we know.

Thanks to the Calgary Snowmobile Club, two of my friends, both on their first trip to the mountains, are at Quartz today riding my machines and being mentored and kept safe. Hats off to those volunteers that organize and lead the club trips. I benefited last year and met some great folks. Highly recommended.

I don't have a high post count, I'm not well known here, so I won't push this any harder. Thanks for the forum and the opportunity to share ideas.

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Terrible news. I was riding that area he was apparently found for most of the afternoon Sunday due to low vis. Makes me wish I would have spotted him.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Local radio stations are also super supportive I've found in getting the word out. I go on once a week and help spread safety information out to people I may not see face to face. By reaching even friends and family of riders they are aware and can impart wisdom to the riders in their life.

This is such a tragic circumstance, but I truly believe that from Travis's death many lives will be saved. This site is a great way to keep people all on the same page, even if we disagree from time to time about trivial stuff.
I hope ur right trish, unfortunately sometimes this is what it takes to clue in people that have been loosey goosey in taking bigger risks riding alone ect

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets keep in mind a few things, maybe Travis didn't die from getting stuck, Maybe he had his beacon on. Had all survival gear, then had a heart attack? So he was fine all day ridding around and bang something happens and you die. I have rode alone and even got stuck in Lumby alone on top, bad situation! Either way we love what we love, do what we want.

I would like more information on when someone pushes SOS on beacon etc how fast is the RCMP or whatever notified? What makes the choice on when to head up the mountains? I remember being in blizzard in Montana and SAR was out looking for someone and it was really bad weather.
How do u build a snow cave, leave ur helmet on the highest point of ur sled, shovel handle on the snow pile u shoveled out, get down inside ur hole u dug and put the side panels on over top for a roof

Heart attack what, some how I don't think so

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Somebody posted on here that there is more to the story than a snowmobile accident. That really doesn't matter in the context of the discussion about riding alone and what a bad decision that is.

tothebar

Reaction score
Since when did this thread become a discussion on ridding alone?? The title says sledder missing in revy.... If know one knows the details about what happened then why are you speculating. Is someone going to tell us what happened in this scenario or not??

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why does one need to know the details?

A sledder lost his life, a tragic loss.

Anything else is speculative unless released by the RCMP.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Its not speculative if you were there or got information form those who seen him that day etc etc.

And we should know so that we LEARN from this and it doesnt happen again.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not speculative if you were there or got information form those who seen him that day etc etc.

And we should know so that we LEARN from this and it doesnt happen again.

Couldnt agree more. I dont see the problem with guys asking different things about this. The more we discuss it and learn, the less chance of it happening again. Lets talk about being more welcoming to stray riders, looking out for people who appear to be by themselves, emergency preparedness supplies, rescue procedures, etc. The more we know the better IMHO.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
A satellite phone, or inreach or some kind of emergency signalling device could have possibly prevented the whole situation...............or riding with someone

Last edited:

Reaction score
A satellite phone, or inreach or some kind of emergency signalling device could have prevented the whole situation...............

How can we know that for sure, if we don't have the details? Not trying to argue or derail. I just mean, if it was an injury or some kind of medical issue, we don't know... (or maybe we do and I've missed that)?

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A satellite phone, or inreach or some kind of emergency signalling device could have possibly prevented the whole situation...............or riding with someone

As unpopular as this might sound- maybe Travis didn't want to be found, and wanted to be alone.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How can we know that for sure, if we don't have the details? Not trying to argue or derail. I just mean, if it was an injury or some kind of medical issue, we don't know... (or maybe we do and I've missed that)?
I'm thinking a Sat phone or Spot would have solved his problems UNLESS he had a heart attack or something medical that immobilized him. Something to we were talking about? If sleds had been allowed on the hill the next day he may have heard them and would have been able to walk towards the sound if he was disoriented on where he was? I'm betting he didn't survive the first night on the hill but thats just a guess.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking a Sat phone or Spot would have solved his problems UNLESS he had a heart attack or something medical that immobilized him. Something to we were talking about? If sleds had been allowed on the hill the next day he may have heard them and would have been able to walk towards the sound if he was disoriented on where he was? I'm betting he didn't survive the first night on the hill but thats just a guess.
I think you are right. If sledders were out better chances of coming across him. RCMP maybe wouldn't allow it though.we had a deal like that once with a bear mauling and cops wouldn't allow anyone in till daylight and then it was too late.

Top Bottom