Sled won't go in deep snow????

Joelk

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to sledding, just got my sleds last summer.

We go about 20" of snow last night and I tried to go for a ride on my 2001 Polaris XC 800 SP today. Got stuck several times barely got it unstuck a couple times.

It has nearly new 1.25" track, and I was expecting it to go just fine. Was quite disappointed with how poorly it went. If I got up some speed it would sort of "plane out" but if I slowed down it would start to sink and plow snow.

How do people go sledding when there is a 10' base? I know the Mountain Sleds have a longer track, but I thought that just made them go better. I did not think it was required, just to be able to move.

Is this how a short track sled always performs in deep powder.

Anything I can do (other than a different/longer track) to the sled to make it go better in the deep powder?

My skis are stock and pretty well worn, so I may be replacing them soon. Would different (wider) skis make a significant difference? If so, what would be a good set of skis to consider?

Wingwalker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a similar experience hit a field with 2ft of powder and made the mistake of slowing down could barely do 40mph with my skis pointing at the sky all the way through the field.
Yes the long tracks have more flotation and a deeper lug but they are also geared lower
I'm thinking of long tacking mine as I tend to ride more in the fields than on trails

Last edited:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to sledding, just got my sleds last summer.

We go about 20" of snow last night and I tried to go for a ride on my 2001 Polaris XC 800 SP today. Got stuck several times barely got it unstuck a couple times.

It has nearly new 1.25" track, and I was expecting it to go just fine. Was quite disappointed with how poorly it went. If I got up some speed it would sort of "plane out" but if I slowed down it would start to sink and plow snow.

How do people go sledding when there is a 10' base? I know the Mountain Sleds have a longer track, but I thought that just made them go better. I did not think it was required, just to be able to move.

Is this how a short track sled always performs in deep powder.

Anything I can do (other than a different/longer track) to the sled to make it go better in the deep powder?

My skis are stock and pretty well worn, so I may be replacing them soon. Would different (wider) skis make a significant difference? If so, what would be a good set of skis to consider?

i use to have two shorties as well
just something ya have to get use to unless ya long track it
but how often do you get that much of a dump at the same time

cookgio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya the short tracks suck in deep stuff my wife always tries to follow me in the deep stuff and always gets stuck the short tracks are also narrow as short but you can upgrade most 121 tracks are for trails you should have atleast a 136 with a 16 wide. most people that ride deep have 2 inch lugs for the diggin and pushin.

gr8tdragon

Reaction score
With a 1.25" inch track you should have noproblem in 20" of snow. I run my 90 mach 1 in 2-3 feet of snow with no problems. Trick is to make sure you have your cluches set right, right jets in for temps, suspension set up for proper weight transfer. Your not going to get top speed but you should be able to get back on top and go. You say you skis are going, are they the stock 5.5 inchers. If so either replace or put on some ski skins. Ski width does help alot.
Hope this helps. Your running a 800 should be no problem, my sled is only 583.

Top Bottom