Sled security

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of theft happening lately. Anyone have any suggestions on how to ensure your sled is still on your deck when you wake up in the morning? I can prevent my truck from being lifted, but was just wondering what people were doing to keep there machines with there trucks? I've been thinking about bending some 3" flat bar into a U shape and cutting slots in my deck so I could lock it from below.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would disable something mechanically as well. If they find a way to move a 500+ pound non running sled I would be intrigued to know how they did it. Criminals are getting crafty however.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would disable something mechanically as well. If they find a way to move a 500+ pound non running sled I would be intrigued to know how they did it. Criminals are getting crafty however.

3 guys can easily lift a broken sled into the box of a truck right off the ground. What I've found is if they really want it they will get it!! Once had a bmx locked 3 ways and it didn't even have a chain on it as I'd snapped it at the park a few days prior plus the crank was hooped, totally unrideable and my bike was gone one morning!

Sent from my iPhone using

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll trade you sleds, ain't nobody gonna steal it then haha.

I've always wondered how guys manage to keep their machines on the back of their trucks (or open trailer). I had a neighbor a couple years back who left his M8 on his truck with nothing but the super clamps keeping it there all winter. Good neighborhood mixed with luck I guess.

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have insurance. If it was stolen from my house, I'd be pissed but I wouldn't want anyone trying to locate it for me. I'd rather the insurance money then the tampered with sled. I might want to recover it if I had it tricked out. I just don't want it to go missing when I finally get time from work and travel west for a weekend of riding. It's not often that I can make it to the mountains and would hate for someone to ruin a planned trip. I would prefer not to be the easy target with just superclamps. I think the key is for them to not be able to do it quietly. Bolt cutters are quiet. Grinders, not so much.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have get a used car horn, hook it under your deck or to your tire rim on trailer and have hook to power, then have a trip wire so when they pull sled or drive trailer in trips wire which triggers horn to start beeping. They will run.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy had a beauty Gixxer 750 that he had some sort of motion alarm on it. If the bike changed position at all, the alarm would go off and it was hella loud! Not sure who made that particular one though...

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sawed off mr Winchester on a camera tripod between sleds wired to a hair trigger if you open trailer door you get face full of rock salt easy to identify thief/ victim from that point on I'm 50 and worked to hard for my **** I would welcome 6 months in the can for some vengeance and justice

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 12 guage pump alarm if I catch them they will be alarmed! If they want something bad enough they will get it

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You can get some pretty skookum locks and chains from motorcycle stores. 5/8" hexagonal link Kryptonite chain (won't fit into most bolt cutters) and a skookum SS motion sensing padlock with a very loud built-in alarm. Some of the padlocks have a 1/2" shackle on them and the cost for chain and locks can rum into the hundreds of dollars. I only use this when travelling and otherwise, my stuff is out of sight, out of mind so to speak!

The age old adage of making it hard for them may just be enough for them to move on.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My policy is "OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND". My sleds are never seen outside at home or otherwise other then when i go sledding. Most my nieghbors have no clue i have sleds and i like it that way.
Secondly, INSURANCE.

When i go out of town i keep in mind where i park and how i park. My truck has a dissabler and alarm system.
The sleds are locked by the super clamps but also i use a TITANIUM ball cable that is attached to the deck. The cable CANNOT be cut by any tool but the only way to remove would be by cutting the deck it self.

I never leave my truck unattended or out of sight and if i stay at a motel, i ONLY stay at the ones i can back my truck to the room i'm in, with sleds against the building. Plus i never stay at popular sledding motels, they are theive magnets imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: RXN

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watched a documentary with the guy from super size me about Stockton California, How basically the mayor ****ed them and with lack of police force people made neighborhood watches. One group decided to go further with a group called the Stockton Guardian Angles.

If the police wont do much about it then maybe something like a neighbor hood watch should be formed in these sled towns that theft is high.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Game cameras are cheap these days and take good pictures. One day face to a name will be instant. But until then some people enjoy hunting.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best thing is to keep it as difficult to steal as possible. Theives are lazy by nature, that's why they steal, too lazy to work for thier own stuff.
When we travel as a group overnight, we always get the spots under street lamps. I back my open trailer to the back door of my brother in laws enclosed. Big *ss padlocks on the front ramps with locking pins on all trailer hitches and couplers. The only way to get my sleds is sideways off the trailer.
So far no issues, knock on wood!

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The game camera idea is actually pretty good, especially if you are jacked at a rather established destination and the local authorities just need a bit of evidence to start the ball rolling.

I have done my part, I was approached about purchasing parts and things associated with sledding from theft. I contacted the RCMP. I know snitches get stitches but in this case I would like to see someone try and give me those stitches for doing what all of us should do when it comes to this sort of thing. Lets face it we all know of someone somewhere somehow. Insurance is high for a reason and we as contributing members of society are getting shafted. What I really wanted to do was throat punch the guy and bust all his fingers one at a time between each joint.

I also try and research where I am going with finding lodging areas that try and help with security. To date Valemount and the Best Western are awesome with a gate that locks and proof of owner ship is required after hours to get out. Other places need to follow suit I think we inject enough money into areas with premium gas prices and beer for the hot tub after a hard days riding. :d Not to mention local parts stores:(.

Top Bottom