Sled Deck R&R

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
Sorry if this is redundant, did a bit of research on here and couldn't find what I'm looking for. Anyway I'm looking at picking up a sled deck. It would stay on my truck all winter. My question is how easy are they remove and install? In the summer I need the box of my truck a lot, but would be using the deck for the odd riding camp trips. Thanks

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Easy to do with two people. Can do it by yourself. Pull it back off the tailgate and stand it up . Drive away

Flyer

Reaction score
I think all of them slide in like a camper, except the Marathon Truckboss. It takes me a couple hours to clamp it to the box tops and bolt it together. Not a lot less to remove it. Plus, there's a bit of wiring to do each time because the wires run partly in the deck, and partly in the side rails.

johnnytrail

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
look for one with a 3 leg design it you forsee having to r&r by yourself. I can load my x deck solo if I have to. stand it up on back ramp bar . back truck up to it . get in truck box and lower front leg into box . get out of truck box lift rear of deck and push forward . with the ramp removed it's not too bad .

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, should have maybe worded a bit different. I have a forklift at my shop so I'm not worried dropping it in or taking it out. I'm more concerned about how they are attached to the truck? Being bolted in or just turn buckles to the trucks existing tie down anchors? Wiring connections? Do they have quick disconnects? Etc. Thanks

CLVTCH

Reaction score
Sled Deck R&R

I bolt mine down as then it is always aligned in the truck box correctly. As for wiring you can wire to your taillight which is more permanent or you could wire it to a four pin trailer harness and then plug into your truck. I load mine with a forklift as well. Takes about 45 minutes maybe a bit less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Bolted mine in with heavy plates through the box braces and use turnbuckles as well. That sucker ain't coming off. The turnbuckles loosen off unless you use nylocks on them I play the extra safe card usually

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wife and I put mine in, takes 10 mins, I bolt down and use turnbuckles. Don't want it coming out!

johnnytrail

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use turnbuckles with jam nuts . Works fine but bolting is the best as the tiedown points inside truck boxes don't really have any type of capacity or load rating

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had 4 decks and have always used turnbuckles as well. Never an issue either.

But......... Bolting it down, is always better than turnbuckles.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind out turnbuckle are you using? I have a couple set from princess auto. The buddy that sold me the truck gave me a set and I have a set for my camper. All with jam nuts.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Talked to a guy in Valemount a few years ago. He claimed they used a deck for a lot of years before anyone even thought of tying it down. Gravity is a wonderful thing.

northof40

Reaction score
I use turnbuckles with a jam nut. Always came loose on me without the nut. I also have eye bolts mounted in each corner with 5"x5" steel plates underneath the box for some extra strength.
2be37939f71540be13d17ab3ffc19f6d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To the guys using turnbuckles, check with your insurance company. My auto package policy is through SGI in Saskatchewan, and if the deck is bolted down to the truck, the truck policy covers it. If it's turnbuckled down, I'd have to get separate coverage for it.

As far as lifting it in and out, It's a Full Lotus and it's fairly beefy, so I just use the forklift at work. Otherwise it's a 4 man job.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have....even with jam nuts. I've started putting a tyrap through the turnbuckle back to something solid. They never back off now.
Interesting. I had just put tyraps on mine until I could pick up some jam nuts. They have been working great for a couple weeks. Maybe I'll just leave them.

Top Bottom