Sled deck gripes

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The real question here is: What kind of deck does Maxwell have?

I have a Marathon 7' classic, and 162" sled hangs over a long ways, I will fab my own extension eventually and will continue to flag or light the rear.
I had Marathon fix the legs on my deck as the previous owner had altered them, they were great to deal with and have bought L.E.D. lights from them as well, they even shipped them to me.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The real question here is: What kind of deck does Maxwell have?

I have a Marathon 7' classic, and 162" sled hangs over a long ways, I will fab my own extension eventually and will continue to flag or light the rear.
I had Marathon fix the legs on my deck as the previous owner had altered them, they were great to deal with and have bought L.E.D. lights from them as well, they even shipped them to me.

He has a stfu deck!!!

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jay at Marathon is a stand up guy, maybe there's 2 sides to this story, just saying

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Marathon deck from a few yrs ago. Had very good service from Jay. He swaped me out a used 10' ramp for a brand new 12' ramp and only wanted a few hundred bucks. I thought that was pretty decent of him. Yes there decks are a bit of $$$ but you get what you pay for. So far no complaints. I do like the look of the full lotus decks. There used too be a girl on this site that worked with Jay a few yrs back, can't remember her name or if she is still on here.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Marathon Truck Boss. Really happy with the way I was treated, Jay was excellent to deal with, he even threw in a couple of extras. I have phoned him a couple of times since with a couple of questions, and he has been more than helpful. :) :beer:

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Marathon deck from a few yrs ago. Had very good service from Jay. He swaped me out a used 10' ramp for a brand new 12' ramp and only wanted a few hundred bucks. I thought that was pretty decent of him. Yes there decks are a bit of $$$ but you get what you pay for. So far no complaints. I do like the look of the full lotus decks. There used too be a girl on this site that worked with Jay a few yrs back, can't remember her name or if she is still on here.

Chelle is her username. I know Jay had a username here too but cant remember it. The username Marathon Truck decks logged on today

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Marathon Truck Boss. Really happy with the way I was treated, Jay was excellent to deal with, he even threw in a couple of extras. I have phoned him a couple of times since with a couple of questions, and he has been more than helpful. :) :beer:
hope you got the legs.....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
These threads are like can threads.....a lot of talk over and over and over again!

The engineer coming on saying such was a beauty! I've heard that line in my line of work for 40 years! No further comment......

In my experience, if you want to doo a job you require the proper tools.....period!

IMHO, if you want to go sledding or quadding you require a proper truck (real trucks have 8' boxes) with the proper GVW and the options to play safely.

Get a friggin' 3/4 ton or a 1 ton with an 8' box and then follow the laws regarding lights, tie downs, tires, load limits, etc.. That way, the 8' deck will fit/function and not be an issue.

One has to have the ability to look down the road and then make decisions. Generally, we have no one to blame but ourselves for dumb decisions!

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you got it right fernie buy a real truck a buddy just bought a nissan titan what a piece of useless sh/t 5 foot box can"t carry his motorcycle if he puts the tailgate down the gravel will kill the paint the rear fenders are under a foot from the cab so he has to get a new 5 hitch that slides yuppy trucks only fit in little front attached garages

Xceler8

Reaction score
Yup it's definately reasonable to sell my $70000 truck at a substantial $20000 or $30000 loss to buy another truck identicle with a longer box with the turning radius of a Boeing mid flight, to drive daily for both work and pleasure rather than make a perfectly good deck work for me for a couple grand. Bash engineers all you want just shows what level you choose to fight on. Hearing lots of good about jay, too bad that's not who I end up dealing with every time, maybe he would have treated me differently. This forum has to be one of the most two faced things I've ever experienced, some guys are super helpful understanding and supportive, most of the senior VIP members are just plain as*holes. I think I'll stick to conversing with people who don't get off on trying to make people feel small with text over the Internet, just a big bully on the play ground with nothing better to do then act tough.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yup it's definately reasonable to sell my $70000 truck at a substantial $20000 or $30000 loss to buy another truck identicle with a longer box with the turning radius of a Boeing mid flight, to drive daily for both work and pleasure rather than make a perfectly good deck work for me for a couple grand. Bash engineers all you want just shows what level you choose to fight on. Hearing lots of good about jay, too bad that's not who I end up dealing with every time, maybe he would have treated me differently. This forum has to be one of the most two faced things I've ever experienced, some guys are super helpful understanding and supportive, most of the senior VIP members are just plain as*holes. I think I'll stick to conversing with people who don't get off on trying to make people feel small with text over the Internet, just a big bully on the play ground with nothing better to do then act tough.

$70,000 for a truck, eh! Then you are quibbling about a couple thou' for a deck? Then you knock the VIP members....it's not about bullying man, it's about calling a spade a spade. If you don't get it, take a breath and don't remind people you're an Engineer.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just felt I should offer my fellow sledders some advice based on my recent exsperpriance purchasing sled decks. So two months ago I set off to buy a sled deck, after searching around I found there are many manufacturers and a couple different designs and a huge difference in prices. I had herd good of marthon decks and found a good priced used classic 6ft locally and bought it. Brought it home installed it and was very please, until I put my sled on it... A 153" on a 6 ft leaves a whole lot of sled hanging. No problem marathon makes a 2 ft extension right? Wrong, after contacting the ever so helpful staff at marathon (sarcasm) I found out that the decks are great so long as marathon does not decide they are tired of making them, then they just stop production and you're left with no way to get any parts or accessories for them. So now what do I do? Sell the deck, build my own extension, reach out to another company? Well after some consideration I talked to a local welding shop who said they would build one for a fairly expensive price. I then emailed cross trax about their extension, and to my shock they were way more than happy to build or retrofit one of their extensions to fit my deck. So the moral of my exsperpriance is next time I will not question it and buy a cross trax deck, the service is worth every penny. I would love to see/hear what others have done to fix this extension issue, I can't be the only one that has been looking for one.

how long are they required to supply parts, if cross trax will help ya, go there, but why would ya put a 12 ft sled on a 6 ft deck, sounds like it would be overweight for one, and a little light on the steering, doesn't sound like good engineering to me.

Top Bottom