skid upgrade for zx chassis

belch1217

Reaction score
I am looking to put a longer track and maybe lose some weight on my 03 summit and wondering if an xp skid from timbersled, or a rev skid will fit,or an m10 skid, I would like to go to a 154 x 16 track, any help would be greatly appreciated, as my 144 just is to short for mountain riding thanx.

belch1217

Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the suggestions, I do climb when in the mountains along with other stuff, but i also ride alot down here so would a mountain or climber skid work for the trails and ditch banging down here, and I looked at just moving my skid and rail extensions, but I really want to try to lose some weight to.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a complete aftermarket skid is a seat of the pants modification if you will..

you can feel it when your stuck

you can climb boondock and ride the trails easier

expensive but worth it.

if you want some weight savings check out timbersled i beleive theyh have a kit that includes lighter arms and shocks but use your stock rails.

move the skid back 2-3" and down a good 2 inches in the front and 1/2 inch in the front.

decreases the attack angle and you might even be able to ditch your extensions depending how long they are

belch1217

Reaction score
thanks maxwell i think im going to try to put in a new skid, just not sure which one yet. any ideas on light weight trailing arms,timbersled barkbusters or racers edge, or any other brands that r good.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks maxwell i think im going to try to put in a new skid, just not sure which one yet. any ideas on light weight trailing arms,timbersled barkbusters or racers edge, or any other brands that r good.

Fabcraft carbon fiber are another option. Just keep in mind what the sled is worth and how much money you are putting into it. The lightweight trailing arms bend easier than the stockersso you can't beat them up as bad.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fabcraft carbon fiber are another option. Just keep in mind what the sled is worth and how much money you are putting into it. The lightweight trailing arms bend easier than the stockersso you can't beat them up as bad.

true, i had a set of aluminum lightweights on my zx. wrecked them within the year. those arms take ALOT of force and the lightweight ones are meant for going straight up that is all.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Typically when you bend a stock trailing arm there is much more damage to your sled. Its cheaper to replace a lightweight trailing arm than a stock arm and a foot stirrup and possibly a tunnel.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typically when you bend a stock trailing arm there is much more damage to your sled. Its cheaper to replace a lightweight trailing arm than a stock arm and a foot stirrup and possibly a tunnel.

I'd probably disagree with your statement :). The stock ones will bend before anything else on your sled as well but not as soon as a lightweight arm (see picture below - this sled took a wide open run into a stationary object - the arm bent but footwell, tunnel and bulkhead parts were fine on this sled - just needed a lot of new parts but no tunnel or bulkhead work, just bolt ons like a new arm, pipe, shock and radius rods). The lightweight ones bend long before the stock ones do. I have seen guys hit hard snow drifts and bend their lightweight ones. The lightweight ones are fine and designed for a purpose but you just have to watch how hard you bash them into things. They are still worth the money IMO, just don't beat on them too hard and they will last years.

Attachments

• Wrecked1.jpg
    Wrecked1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 109

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd probably disagree with your statement :). The stock ones will bend before anything else on your sled as well but not as soon as a lightweight arm (see picture below - this sled took a wide open run into a stationary object - the arm bent but footwell, tunnel and bulkhead parts were fine on this sled - just needed a lot of new parts but no tunnel or bulkhead work, just bolt ons like a new arm, pipe, shock and radius rods). The lightweight ones bend long before the stock ones do. I have seen guys hit hard snow drifts and bend their lightweight ones. The lightweight ones are fine and designed for a purpose but you just have to watch how hard you bash them into things. They are still worth the money IMO, just don't beat on them too hard and they will last years.

Part of the problem with lightweight arms bending is that there is a process of aligning your front end. If this is not done correctly you will bend them much easier than having your front end correctly aligned. Most people just bolt on the trailing arm and go and when they bend they blame the trailing arm instead of themselves.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:dI had a 2000 Summit 700 151, 01 Summit 800 151 both 15 wide do go 16 wide on stock skid it works I have seen it on a 02 Summit 800 Or go to a Rev and it's done, And you will wonder how you have ridden a ZX for so long.

shedy

Reaction score
newer ski doos skids out of and xp are about half the weight over the zx skid. If you check arounf at the mod shops they some times have them. picked a new 162 cat skid last year for a 1000$ for mountan magic they did have some xp skids at that time also.

Top Bottom