ski doo turbo fueling when are they going to come out with auto tune?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I were turboing it would be boost it all the way. I still cant believe how well my TSS kit ran with the boost it box. Dont let the fact that you are able to adjust the box make you think that you have to. I never touched mine. Never actually opened the pelican case!

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am posting this for information purposes only

A true standalone replaces the oem ecu and controls all engine controls. This includes fueling, spark timing, rev limiter, exhaust valve opening rpm, plus many more functions. It is only as good as the person setting the tune.

A piggy back interrupts the stock fuel injection signal and changes the way the injectors fuel the engine. This is more like Boondocker or dobeck setup on a Polaris.

Impulse, Boost-It, and Dobeck are all considered standalone "extra injector" controllers on the Doo turbo kits. They do not interrupt the stock fuel injection signal, but use a coil signal to fire the extra injectors needed for boost fueling. None of them change the stock map that I am aware of.
The Boost-It XIC is just as much as a standalone in this application as the Impulse controller.

I am am not certain of what inputs Impulse or Dobeck use to control the fueling, but here are the inputs and data Boost-it uses to control fueling.
Tach signal from coils
intake air temps at throttle bodies
barometric pressure/elevation
rpm
boost pressure

The Boost-It XIC also displays intake air temps, rpm, elevation, and manifold pressure. The XIC can be changed by the customer, but are instructed to "not touch" the fuel settings on the XIC unless they receive an update from Boost-It, and then they can do it themselves very easily.

What most people do not realize is that the turbo manufacturers set the XIC, so not all XICs fuel the same even though they are on the same make and model of sled.
Boost-It has a way of precisely controlling fuel start time for very clean bottom end tuning. Boost-It controls fuel start time based on rpm, elevation, and boost pressure. No other manufacturer that has used the XIC has controlled the start time so accurately and that is why the Boost-It XM kit runs like it does on the bottom end.
There is no need for the customer to touch the XIC, but can change it if needed.
Boost-It is the only manufacturer that will display intake air temps on the fuel controller so the customer knows what they are.

The bottom line is that most if not all customers don't care how the turbo kit manufacturer makes the sled run, as long as it runs every time they pull the rope. It is clear that customers don't want to be tuners.

Thanks for the post Neil!
So as you stated in the post at the end the customers dont want to be tuners and this is exactly correct whitch is why i made this post. Now when i think of no tuning need i think of the turbo manufacturers like mtntk and silber witch use the ecm flash and from there on the ecm does all the controlling and is constantly changing parameters from what i gather. Now lets talk about you kit. You offer the XIC for your fueling needs witch is a piggy back system, that has settings pre set in it from the manufacturer, and you stated that not all boxes are the same for fueling will infact be different. So how do we know that when i get the system installed and ready to rip i dont need to make any adjustments to the box? this is where im confused? Im not trying to start war here by any means but i will say im not knowledgeable on forced induction 2 strokes and fueling them. BUT what i do know is that you can buy kits from mtntk ans silber for the pros that u slap on, flash the ecm, and enjoy. I want that from my etec!

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Neil!
So as you stated in the post at the end the customers dont want to be tuners and this is exactly correct whitch is why i made this post. Now when i think of no tuning need i think of the turbo manufacturers like mtntk and silber witch use the ecm flash and from there on the ecm does all the controlling and is constantly changing parameters from what i gather. Now lets talk about you kit. You offer the XIC for your fueling needs witch is a piggy back system, that has settings pre set in it from the manufacturer, and you stated that not all boxes are the same for fueling will infact be different. So how do we know that when i get the system installed and ready to rip i dont need to make any adjustments to the box? this is where im confused? Im not trying to start war here by any means but i will say im not knowledgeable on forced induction 2 strokes and fueling them. BUT what i do know is that you can buy kits from mtntk ans silber for the pros that u slap on, flash the ecm, and enjoy. I want that from my etec!
There used to be another turbo kit manufacturer that used the Boost-It XIC. The programming that they used on the Doo kits is far different than what Boost-It uses.
All Boost-It Doo kits use the the same mapping. Just because the XIC is adjustable does not mean that you have to adjust it. There are no gauges to look at on the Alt Comp kit and intake air is pulled from stock intakes. The kit also has a muffler so it is not loud. Customers are instructed to ride it like a stock sled.
This should be more clear.

Turbo'd

Reaction score
I believe that Power Commander is the only one I know of who can increase the fueling from the stock ETEC injector. That being said they at this time can only increase the fuel and not pull fuel away in areas that should be cleaned up. ALSO the Etec injector on the 800 doesn't have much more capacity to add enough fuel for a turbo application. I don't know the exact numbers though.

I believe the ski doo race deparment if pushed could build a turbo specific map for use with a parallel system such as the XIC. To date as far as I know there has not been done.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There used to be another turbo kit manufacturer that used the Boost-It XIC. The programming that they used on the Doo kits is far different than what Boost-It uses.
All Boost-It Doo kits use the the same mapping. Just because the XIC is adjustable does not mean that you have to adjust it. There are no gauges to look at on the Alt Comp kit and intake air is pulled from stock intakes. The kit also has a muffler so it is not loud. Customers are instructed to ride it like a stock sled.
This should be more clear.
So the xic box will keep everything in check no matter how much boost you ask of it?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the xic box will keep everything in check no matter how much boost you ask of it?

Correct, just make sure your getting proper revs at altitude with your clickers! I haven't ever adjusted mine, just the boost pressure and clickers. Trying to find that sweet spot.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct, just make sure your getting proper revs at altitude with your clickers! I haven't ever adjusted mine, just the boost pressure and clickers. Trying to find that sweet spot.
How do you know what your boost pressure is if your adjusting it? This is what confuses me. Tge other kits u select 7 pound or what ever you want your value to be. Then the computer take it from there and u throw ur tuner back in your bag. How do u know if your over boosting

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you know what your boost pressure is if your adjusting it? This is what confuses me. Tge other kits u select 7 pound or what ever you want your value to be. Then the computer take it from there and u throw ur tuner back in your bag. How do u know if your over boosting

I believe Neil was talking about his entry level "Altitude Compensation Kit" and I don't think the boost is easily adjustable with it.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My mistake, i have the TSS kit, adjustable, with the boost it box. Bnorth is correct.

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are talking Ski Doo on this thread and the three you have mentioned?
I don't believe work on the Doo?
What Fred has said is what works on the etec.

I was just using those as examples of "true" standalone systems used on snowmobiles ( I should of clarified that). There currently are none that work on the etec. I run a motec on my 1200 doo cause the tec support is best I've ever had and the third system I've tried to get this 1200 to run clean. I tried rapid bike racing and boost-it set up from Tss, both were a flop and would not work. Like Neil said the control box is only as good as the tuner tuning it. I was just curious as to how the impulse worked....sorry if I got this tread off topic.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just using those as examples of "true" standalone systems used on snowmobiles ( I should of clarified that). There currently are none that work on the etec. I run a motec on my 1200 doo cause the tec support is best I've ever had and the third system I've tried to get this 1200 to run clean. I tried rapid bike racing and boost-it set up from Tss, both were a flop and would not work. Like Neil said the control box is only as good as the tuner tuning it. I was just curious as to how the impulse worked....sorry if I got this tread off topic.
I would imagine you could run a motec on an etec but I think you would probably lose reverse.

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would imagine you could run a motec on an etec but I think you would probably lose reverse.

You would need someone to make a wiring harness that plugs into the stock wiring harness and all new programming from someone that has spent months of time on a dyno getting the programming perfected. If that were to happen I'd be all over it.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
I have a boost it xic and it works as claimed but better. Excellent tech support, if you want the latest updates they will update it for you. They have all the serial #'s on record so they can tell you about your box if you need.
Like anything, if u expect to install it and just ride, you might be sad. You may have to tune it a little for your elevation, riding style and weather conditions. Although I think boost it can get you pretty close right out of the gate with barometric compensation and altitude settings etc.
IMO-the problem with fuel controllers is that people like to push buttons willy nilly expecting 100 hp to magically appear. They get so far off from the base settings that it's almost impossible to get the controller to work as it should. Then their riding buddies are itching to ride, the clutching is way off and then they get mad and blame it on fuel controller. Trip ruined.
Anyhoo, I'm rambling but would u like to sell your old boost it xic? You can't get them individually anymore so I would like to take it off your hands.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^ exactly !!
Also people that know nothing about clutching, leave alone big performance adders .
Most should just ride a stock machine and be happy.
All brands are so good this day and age.
If I was turboing it would be boost it hands down though.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^ exactly !!
Also people that know nothing about clutching, leave alone big performance adders .
Most should just ride a stock machine and be happy.
All brands are so good this day and age.
If I was turboing it would be boost it hands down though.
I whole heartedly disagree with this statement. The only way you can learn is to mess with them. That being said there's not much to a turbo. Oil a compressor and intake and charge tube. The fueling is the worst part. And I want nothing to do with tuning. I want to pull it and have it run reliable everytime I ask it to. Silver had done just to the polaris.... I ride a doo or two so I want that same thing from my doo.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol
You hit the nail on the head when you said mess with them.
When you start putting a lot more power through a said engine it requires some maintenance ,tuning and responsibility to adjust to conditions.
"I want to pull it and have it run reliable everytime I ask it to "
That is stock !!!

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol
You hit the nail on the head when you said mess with them.
When you start putting a lot more power through a said engine it requires some maintenance ,tuning and responsibility to adjust to conditions.
"I want to pull it and have it run reliable everytime I ask it to "
That is stock !!!
Lol I disagree yet again. Stock requires maintenance as well so your point is invalid. And again the polaris ecm flash requires nothing but the user to select his boost level... Everything else is taken care of... So again your point is invalid . shouldn't need to be an engine tuner to run a turbo. Just my 2cents

My bad if I want to have boost and be on the hill 40 p!us riding days instead of having 10 and being the guy playing with his fuel box all day. And ya ur rite if they can't make a system that doesn't give me the ability to do so them I guess I'll ride me "stock sled" cause I'm not good enough like you guys are lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been running aerocharger since 2011 and the fueling been not much a problem, but this last year with riding in Colorado at 12k feet and then a two weeks later Revy I found out how important it was.. First day at both locations was a tuneing day paranoid that a/f was to lean on the Aerocharger and cause a catastrophic engine problem

where as the impulse is like running a stock duramax up a mountain pulling a 25k trailer.. You know that it's been tested and proven and just keep it pined

I soon have found the non adjustable proven fueling to be the ride of choice.. Yesterday took it for a ride at the farm, next week to whitefish.. Week after Revy

now to set up the Aerocharger with a similar non adjustment fueling curve

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been running aerocharger since 2011 and the fueling been not much a problem, but this last year with riding in Colorado at 12k feet and then a two weeks later Revy I found out how important it was.. First day at both locations was a tuneing day paranoid that a/f was to lean on the Aerocharger and cause a catastrophic engine problem

where as the impulse is like running a stock duramax up a mountain pulling a 25k trailer.. You know that it's been tested and proven and just keep it pined

I soon have found the non adjustable proven fueling to be the ride of choice.. Yesterday took it for a ride at the farm, next week to whitefish.. Week after Revy

now to set up the Aerocharger with a similar non adjustment fueling curve
Thanx for that. That just back up what I've bin saying. Good thing I'm not tge only one

Top Bottom