ski doo turbo fueling when are they going to come out with auto tune?

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here the deal, I really want to turbo my doo but I want to be able to run a bully dog or some sort of auto tune like the Polaris does! is there anything that's out or coming out that will let us be able to tune it and ride it without gauges and crappy dobec boxes and what not? or does a guy need to start looking at buying an axys for the boost factor?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can run the Boost It low boost kit. No gauges and adjustments needed. Pull the rope and ride. Local company where the owner stands behind his stuff, sets the sleds up for our riding area's and rides every weekend testing new product.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ask Curtis the frozen pirate how that boost-it Doo worked for him last year. Think he got quite a few miles in all kinds of conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea ive looked at the boost it kits, and even consulted with neil about them. That being said if I was going to go with a turbo as of now that's probably the route I go. But it still a stand alone box running extra injectors. I want to be able to run one like the pros can. flash the ecm, install the kit with some larger injectors and have the turbo lubed by the factory oil pump. Is that to much to ask from my doo? am I dreaming here? how come we can have the same system the Polaris sleds have with the ecm flash that runs all the parameters to have reliable boost?

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh come on oler you can drop a bomb like that and then not disclose more information.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe vi-pec is working on mapping for there stand alone system that takes out the stock ecm for the e-tec.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting theday I can put a turbo on and run 7 pounds with no guages no stand alone box, no bs pull and ride is the day both my xms get boost

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Impuse kit is also no gauges, complete standalone no touch as well, runs very well, but $$$$ with the exchange rate

Interesting theday I can put a turbo on and run 7 pounds with no guages no stand alone box, no bs pull and ride is the day both my xms get boost

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Impuse kit is also no gauges, complete standalone no touch as well, runs very well, but $$$$ with the exchange rate

Is the impulse a true stand alone system or is it a piggyback system ? Some guys call the boost it system a stand alone but it's a piggyback controller ( no disrespect to boost it very good system from what I've seen)

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the impulse is a true standalone system. meaning you do no touch any buttons just ride it.. theres no buttons to adjust OTHER than you boost controller if you want to change your boost.. the ECM uses its own sensors to adjust fuel according to temp, boost, charge temp, rpm

now my understanding is the boost- it is similar, but also gives you a fine tuning feature to any operating cartelistic.. to fine-tune a/f

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't think it replaces but reprograms the stock ECM.
This is the problem with the etec as to all its safe guards .

Reprograming is just a reflash of the ecm, true standalone replaces your stock ecm with a new ecm programmed to run the set up your running. Vi-pec and motec and aem are the only 3 true standalone units I know of...unless the impulse has its own ecm that replaces the stock ecm. Anything that keeps the stock ecm and uses a programmer with it is a piggy back system.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not piggy back.. its a secondary fuel system that adds additional fuel under boost.. has nothing to do with stock ecm or stock fuel system..

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reprograming is just a reflash of the ecm, true standalone replaces your stock ecm with a new ecm programmed to run the set up your running. Vi-pec and motec and aem are the only 3 true standalone units I know of...unless the impulse has its own ecm that replaces the stock ecm. Anything that keeps the stock ecm and uses a programmer with it is a piggy back system.

We are talking Ski Doo on this thread and the three you have mentioned?
I don't believe work on the Doo?
What Fred has said is what works on the etec.

Ol' Sarge

Reaction score
Not sure i'd agree. Yes, a piggyback system has an additional fuel controller and injectors but my take on a standalone is a kit that requires no input whatsoever. All adjustments for all conditions are done automatically. So wouldn't a reflashed ECM qualify if it has no fuel box/additional injectors? In my opinion the Impulse kits for Doo/Pol and the new Silbers, MTNK and HM kits for Pols would qualify in my books.

I do agree with mountainsledmania in his dislike for monitoring stuff tho. When I had a fuel box and an a/f gauge I was either watching it or thinking about it all the time instead of paying attention to riding. In the fall of 2012 I put a Vipec on and haven't had to watch a gauge or adjust fuel since. Any day, any weather, any elevation, hit start and ride. It's like the factory built it.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
I am posting this for information purposes only

A true standalone replaces the oem ecu and controls all engine controls. This includes fueling, spark timing, rev limiter, exhaust valve opening rpm, plus many more functions. It is only as good as the person setting the tune.

A piggy back interrupts the stock fuel injection signal and changes the way the injectors fuel the engine. This is more like Boondocker or dobeck setup on a Polaris.

Impulse, Boost-It, and Dobeck are all considered standalone "extra injector" controllers on the Doo turbo kits. They do not interrupt the stock fuel injection signal, but use a coil signal to fire the extra injectors needed for boost fueling. None of them change the stock map that I am aware of.
The Boost-It XIC is just as much as a standalone in this application as the Impulse controller.

I am am not certain of what inputs Impulse or Dobeck use to control the fueling, but here are the inputs and data Boost-it uses to control fueling.
Tach signal from coils
intake air temps at throttle bodies
barometric pressure/elevation
rpm
boost pressure

The Boost-It XIC also displays intake air temps, rpm, elevation, and manifold pressure. The XIC can be changed by the customer, but are instructed to "not touch" the fuel settings on the XIC unless they receive an update from Boost-It, and then they can do it themselves very easily.

What most people do not realize is that the turbo manufacturers set the XIC, so not all XICs fuel the same even though they are on the same make and model of sled.
Boost-It has a way of precisely controlling fuel start time for very clean bottom end tuning. Boost-It controls fuel start time based on rpm, elevation, and boost pressure. No other manufacturer that has used the XIC has controlled the start time so accurately and that is why the Boost-It XM kit runs like it does on the bottom end.
There is no need for the customer to touch the XIC, but can change it if needed.
Boost-It is the only manufacturer that will display intake air temps on the fuel controller so the customer knows what they are.

The bottom line is that most if not all customers don't care how the turbo kit manufacturer makes the sled run, as long as it runs every time they pull the rope. It is clear that customers don't want to be tuners.

Top Bottom