Six lakes - Ft Mc

jimmyjambo

Reaction score
Hello,

new to this but i was wondering if anyone has been up to six lakes by Ft MAC.
I am looking for directions, maybe even garmin tracks and any info on the area. thanks

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey what you looking to know?
I've been going there for the last ten years, 3-10days at a time haha
Don't have any gps maps and such thou, its all in my head : ) .. Might know some people who have made some with their gps' though.

jimmyjambo

Reaction score
would like to know how far from ft mac is to the staging area, how long the ride in is, in june sounds like lots of people go are is there enough room for everyone. were you get power from (jk) just as much info as i can get.

thanks

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the outskirts of Fort McMurray you drive for about 1hr to get to where the pavement ends (roughly 85km). Then you are on gravel road for about 45km to get to the staging area. A new one was created last summer during all the road expansion work. The latter 20km of this road can be quite rough, so I could tell you 1.5hrs but it could be 2hrs or so. There are blue km markings on the side of the sand/gravel road as you go, you will be unloading at the 28-30km marker. This is also the turn of to 'Synenco' but don't worry you cannot get confused as to where to park. These blue markers are there because this is actually the winter road to Ft.Chip.

Now your calling the area your headed into 'Six Lakes', but 'Six Lakes' is actually just 1 of the lakes that you can camp at, the area is called 'The Richardson Backcountry'. So you unload your gear, strap it tight for the mogo's and take off. You will require tub trailers, a STRONG recommendation would be to have WALKING BEAMS!! Will make for much smoother towing. You will follow this road, and cross the 'Firebag River' via bridge at the 45km marker (so actually 15km from your truck). At the top of the hill across the river there is a little wooden structure where you can sign in and sign out for the entire area, which is monitored by the guardians (gov't paid carekeepers of the area) and forestry. Also suggest you bring your registration and insurance along, plates included to avoid potential fines as they do frequent checks. Also bring your fishing liscense if you intend to fish. In all my years going up there it has been very good road conditions, other than a few hills which have bypass' and last year we had a lot of rain. This rain caused for puddles which spanned the entire road and if not careful would stuck & almost burry quads n tubs.

The first lake is 'Twin Lakes' (right side) and is at the 70km marker. It's camp is right next to the main road. Good for the overnight quick trip or something. The 2nd lake is 'Go-Go' (right side) at the 75km marker, it is 1km into the lake camping area, there is also the airstrip/heli pad here and the forestry fire tower (only accessible for an EMERGENCY, otherwise visitors not welcome). Then its 'Herb Lake' (right side) at the 80km marker, 2km into the lake, there is actually an 'upper herb' and a 'lower herb' but cant remember which one this is. This is a common fishing lake. Next is 'Pearson Lake' (left side) the turn off is in a big S-turn, the fly-in-fishing-lodge is about 27km in, the camping area is about another 3km. Beautiful beach. Next is 'Keith Lake' (left side) around the 81-83kmn marker that is 3km in, also a common fishing lake. The guardians cabin is located on this lake. Then its 'Jackson Lake' (right side) that is 1km past the Keith Lake entrance which is 19km in, also a common fishing lake and has a long beach. There is 'East Jackson', 'Jackson Lake' , and 'Whale Lake' in this area. 'Six Lakes' (right side) is at the 91km marker and 3km in to the near side, another 1km to the back side (has a small beach) and the back side is harder to get out of. Will have to use 2 quads to pull out your tubs or winch them up. At the 100km road marker there is a Y in the road, to your left is 'Empress Road' that will take you too.. Richardson Ride On Sand Dunes, make a right turn in 18km, follow the trail for another 12km. Very windy narrow trail, side by sides are a tough squeeze, as are widened race quads. Expect Scratches. If you drive past this turn off the end of the road takes you to the Empress Portage, which is a historic site located on the Athabasca River w/ cabins. If you go to the Right of this Y, around 105km marker there is 'Net Lake' (right side) 25km into the lake, Fish & Wildlife have a cabin on this lake, and there are private owned cabins here as well. Laroque lake is also down this road, but there is a better access farther up the main road.

If you continue down the main road, you will cross the 'Richardson River' on a bridge, and at the 110km marker there is an access (right side) to the Walk On Dunes (South Entrance), a few km in you would park your quads and walk to get onto these dunes. If you continue down the trail that brought you to this point you will come to 'LaRoque Lake' (right side) which has the best beach of the area, but not much protection from the wind w/ trees. If you continue down the main road you can only go to the 150km marker which is the Richardson Lake/Delta; the end of the road in summer months.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a good idea to carry your fuel on the outside of the tub trailers so if something happens and you spring a leak or a cap leaks your goods and gear don't get soaked in gas. Also tarp in the top of your trailers if you don't have covers on them. The sand gets in everything, but it's easy enough to clean. Take towels cause your gonna be in the lakes swimming every night.

Also a good tire repair kit, a small air pump and DUCT TAPE. The only reason, your a 100km from nowhere if you have a tire problem.

What ever you pack in, you pack out..... Most people that have been going to the Richardson North Country always check on their nabours when they are leaving. Its great when someone is running low on something and you can shed a few pounds before the trip out. So don't be alarmed when people are on there way out and stopping to see if you are running short or water, gas, salt, pepper, food, just about anything really.

Everyone checks on everyone. There is the odd bear around so keep your campsite clean and dont leave stuff lying around. When ever we go I always take my 12 guage and load it with double odd buck and slugs just for a little extra insurance.

The Richardson back country is one of the most spectacular places you'll ever travel to on a quad trip. Enjoy. Oh, the July long weekend you can have as many as 150-280 quads up there and not run into anyone as the area is so vast.

Last edited:

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes Dale's right, I was on my way out the door as I was finishing so I forgot about the important things like the neighbourly-ness and keeping out sand..

Bugs are nil-none.. usually out for 1-2hours in an evening. Pack in what you packout is important! If you get there w/ no one else around maybe take a stroll around the other camps and make sure the pits are burned out. There are firepits, picnic tables, and outhouses at all camping locations. Trees around the campsites for tarps, clothes lines etc.. DO NOT CUT DOWN TREES IN THE CAMPSITE AREA!!! PLEASE!! Unless they are of direct threat to your safety. Go and collect deadfall w/ chainsaw and empty tub trailer around the areas of the trail in etc. And try to find enviro friendly shampoo's n soaps for your lake washing. A new cell tower system was put in place for last year, so if you use a telus or bell cell phone you will be able to get coverage in higher areas to call loved ones or emergency.

Tarp in your tubs, fuel be wary, sometimes your tub is set up to carry it that way.. 5-7day coolers are a good idea for fresh food.. Garbage bags are generally good to bring in excess.. Pack Tightly! if you wish to bring up the most. Our competition is usually w/ eggs haha

and certainly be neighbourly. It'll be more people to party with.. maybe people to ride w/ or give suggestions.. and if your in a pinch most everyone is willing to give the shirt off their back to help you if they can. We've helped several people and they are always so greatful its never not worth it.

OH almost forgot.. Sun Tan Lotion and Sunglasses!! :d

jimmyjambo

Reaction score
Wow!! Thanks alot everyone,
planning a trip for sept now, cant wait.
anyone know how safe is the staging area?

jimmyjambo

Reaction score
ok one more thing!! do you bring in fresh water or do you filter the lake water with a britta?

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its all side x side accessible.. just be tighter in some places than others.. the ride on dunes and pierson lake are probably the two tightest trails for the side x side

Staging area has been pretty safe (to my knowledge) as it's now soo far up the road and there is traffic from the workers. Anyone I know has yet to have an issue in the last 4years. Just be smart, lock it up and hide your goods.

Bring in fresh (container) and bottled water.. boil lake water for dishes and sometimes showers.. depending on your group size, trip duration etc just buy it in the big cases and bring it up that way.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and sept means you'll be in for a rough road and potentially some cooler weather just so ya know

jimmyjambo

Reaction score
would aug be to busy? sounds like there are camp sites? we are planning to bring in a 12 aluminin boat on top of one of the tub trailers and do some fishing. sounds like lots of people go up there just thought sept might be less people. but if there is room in aug would like to get the better weather.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as dale said.. you might see 100+ trucks in the parking lot, and see only those at the same campsite (if there is anyone) in 5days! its a huge area.. long weekends is when its PACKED but otherwise you shouldnt really have a problem to stay at almost any lake you desire.. Sept will surely be less people.. depending how long your coming for try goin up Wed or Thurs morning and you won't have a problem w/ getting you desired location.. the boat won't be an issue either, if a lake doesnt have a dock its got a good enough beach to pull in on.

yes the campsites are designated by the fire-pits locations. picnic tables are usually at every camp, but if not its usually because one group was large and needed more than one or two, there will be spare ones sitting around. then there are a few outhouses for the general campsite area.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha honestly, IMO ... IT IS!

umm only shoe-boxes full lol I'll see what I can find.. at work so all I could add right now is what I find on my phone/FB from the phone

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello,

new to this but i was wondering if anyone has been up to six lakes by Ft MAC.
I am looking for directions, maybe even garmin tracks and any info on the area. thanks

Pm me your email address and I will send you some JPG'S and STUFF.

Bruce.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing. When you are up there play by the rules, if your fishing have a license as the fish cops are out in full force from June to September......

If you wanna know if a quadder is a gov employee look at their lic plate it'll have a black tag on the plate that says gov.

All quads have to be plated, registered and insured.

Here is another helpful hint. With your cooler its hard to keep ice in the summer during the hot June - July and first half of August, right. Not a problem take a spare tarp, when you get all set up dig a pit in the sand, line the pit with your tarp and put your cooler IN THE GROUND it does help.

For the cell phone coverage area if your having a hard time, go to the crossover (back road) from 6 lakes to Jackson, on the highpoint (signs to Jackson) you can stand on your quad seat and get Telus, Rogers, Bell coverage. I've called a few emergencies from there, usually for the ones that forget their 100kms in the back woods and don't play safe then end up laying there in pain waiting for an air medevac.......

jimmyjambo

Reaction score
all good with the legal stuff.
some of the other trips we have done we get a block of ice made for coolers really lasts long time,sand trick sounds good.

JDB

Reaction score
I sent you a link to a bunch of photos to inbox. Let me know if you got them.

JDB

Top Bottom