rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how.jpg

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do most of you run after market tires?
Do some brands stock tires seem to last longer than others?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of tire pressure your running? That on its own will make a huge difference.
I generally run 4-4.5psi all around.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock wildcat tires, don't think he checked tire psi lol

I was riding winch byotch in this rig, rock made 1.5 inch hole side wall, just barely touched rock too

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock wildcat tires, don't think he checked tire psi lol

I was riding winch byotch in this rig, rock made 1.5 inch hole side wall, just barely touched rock too
I think when it had 10 or so bigger holes the tire pressure was minimal

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think when it had 10 or so bigger holes the tire pressure was minimal

Tire pressure was minimal?????? and what does that mean? On a full size truck that could be 30psi. On a atv or utv 15psi is enough to blow open a side wall.
Tex said you barely touched a rock and it made a 1 1/2" hole in the side wall. Maybe check your tire pressures, you will probably find your problem with why one lost a side wall.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tire pressure was minimal?????? and what does that mean? On a full size truck that could be 30psi. On a atv or utv 15psi is enough to blow open a side wall.
Tex said you barely touched a rock and it made a 1 1/2" hole in the side wall. Maybe check your tire pressures, you will probably find your problem with why one lost a side wall.

It's not my machine and I was not driving it. Making a joke about the tire pressure because there was not much rubber left when we got to the trucks hopefully he still can use the rim. You point about a over inflated tire coming into contact with sidewall and a sharp rock make perfect sense. Not a healthy combination of variables..

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You want to be careful about not running too low of psi on a sxs as the machines are pretty large and heavy. While a softer tire might not puncture as easily you also lose some ability of control without the proper psi and risk peeling the tire off the rim without bead locks. The easy answer is that yes most machines come with pretty crappy stock rubber and replacing them with a good 6-8 ply tire is the best option. Look for the sidewall rating too though and not just the ply of the tread area as some brands have 6ply tires with only 4ply walls. I know specifically for the commanders brp had special 4 ply bighorn 2.0s made because they're cheaper than the regular bighorns but are known to be quite weak especially as the machines get heavier and heavier like my max. I consider myself lucky that I made it through 2 years without having any tire problems but ever since I put my pitbull growlers on this year they've given me some peace of mind and also a huge increase in performance.

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a thread on here were a fellow wanted advise on purchasing a wildcat trail or a razor 900 and someone attached a dirtrax direct comparison and the razor was choosen although the price was higher and one of there reasons was the tires were better. I am wondering if it was only related to performance or are there durability advantages as well?

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Depending on manufacturer. My tires are to be at 15-20 lbs if on a sxs. Bead setting pressure is max 40lbs

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on manufacturer. My tires are to be at 15-20 lbs if on a sxs. Bead setting pressure is max 40lbs

Most manufactures recommend 10-12psi MAX. with full load on the unit(about 750lbs pay load). It is 100% ok to run lower pressures with only a driver or driver and passenger for tire durability and safety.
6-8psi is a good all around pressure, personally i run as all ready stated 4-4.5psi and never have a problem.
Bead lock pressure is for installers and has nothing to do with how much pressure you need to run your atv/utv tire. Bead locks are strictly to protect the bead area from sticks and debrie from entering the bead area and do not lock the bead better. It a guard.
ATV and UTV rims use a double lock bead area, so they can run low pressures. If your running FSR at higher speeds you should pressure up but no more then 10-12psi as recommended by manufactures for best handling. If your in bushing it, it is kosher to drop the pressure. Seen guys drop them as low as 2psi with ZERO issues, bead lock is a good idea on such low pressures as the tire will flex alot. Plus you need to use your head, a heavy foot can blow the bead with such low pressures.

BTW, if your using the tire pressure rating on the tire to guage your pressures for your atv/utv, that's wrong as it is generic. You should strictly go by your owners manual for your specific unit. You will find the pressure setting in your manual very different and much lower then what is stated on the rubber it self.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run mine at 8 psi, problem is a utv weights and lower psi there isn't the support for higher speeds, tires can get hot and fail or blow beads off

Atv can be lower psi cause it weighs less

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lighter tires are generally only 4 ply, with minimal sidewall strength. heavier tires are 6 to 8 ply sidewalls generally. I have 8 ply on the rangers, rode the tire flat without knowing it, no idea how far or why it went flat, bud noticed tire when I backed up into a log. has good and bad benefits.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lighter tires are generally only 4 ply, with minimal sidewall strength. heavier tires are 6 to 8 ply sidewalls generally. I have 8 ply on the rangers, rode the tire flat without knowing it, no idea how far or why it went flat, bud noticed tire when I backed up into a log. has good and bad benefits.

4ply rated tires are generally used on ATV's not UTV's. 6ply is generally what comes on UTV's because of the extra weight, thus its not a problem to run low pressures.
ATV's and UTV's can run the same tire pressure.
Using an 8ply on a Ranger makes perfect sense as it is a work horse but on a sport oriented machine such as a RZR or Wildcat changing the ply rating to a stiffer wall can cause handling issues and WILL drastically effect the over all ride quality.
If you use the proper rated tire for your unit and type of riding your doing and use the proper tire pressure for that ride you should not have any issues.

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode today with that fancy yamaha with the standard transmission today and it was equipped with big horn 2.0 which my tire consultant (Tex) tells me are durable and versatile. as far as I can see they are versatile although we did not hit all type of conditions.

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're good in everything but mud I found. Or climbing in wet and slick conditions. Ended up sliding backwards down a decent hill a couple times last year when trying to climb it in the rain. When it's dry it's no problem even for my son on his 90cc 2wd Eton quad but when it was raining I had a couple scary trips backwards as the bighorns wouldn't get me all the way up. With the pitbull growlers it's no problem in any condition as I've had lots of fun out in the rain this year with them taking me places I couldn't go or would be winching through with the 2.0s.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode today with that fancy yamaha with the standard transmission today and it was equipped with big horn 2.0 which my tire consultant (Tex) tells me are durable and versatile. as far as I can see they are versatile although we did not hit all type of conditions.

I run a tire similar to big horn. I love them i actually find they work great in all conditions. Never had a issue in mud or wet rock. If i get stuck in the mud then its not the tire that is the issue. I will be running these tires again when i wear these out..

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a tire similar to big horn. I love them i actually find they work great in all conditions. Never had a issue in mud or wet rock. If i get stuck in the mud then its not the tire that is the issue. I will be running these tires again when i wear these out..

No sense in changing if they work for where you ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom