Side by side on tracks

robber

Reaction score
First time posting, but have a unique question. First a little background, my family has been quading and snowmobiling on a limited scale for a few years, but my daughter (now in her 30's) loved it. I had a couple of old 225 yamaha quads and bought a 2006 Rhino 450, plus a mixed bag of old snowmobiles. Then my daughter was in an accident and lost her right arm. She could still drive the Rhino but snowmobiling was out of the question, so I bought a 2008 Grizzly 700 with power steering and put tracks on it and added a left hand throttle. She loves it on wheels, but on tracks in the snow she can only pull to the left, unable to push to the right.

i am now in the position to replace the Rhino, and would like to replace it with a SXS with power steering and tracks. Any suggestions as to which make, model and tracks would be the best combination for my daughter to be able to join us in the snow would be appreciated.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear of your daughter accident and loss of her arm. Seems shes tough and wants to keep riding which is good and you wanting to help. Most of the newer side by sides will hande tracks well. Couple of members have them on the site.
My suggestion is a Polaris 900 Ranger. Proven unit on tracks pulling grooming drags in the East on snowmobile trails. Lots of accessories for them from hard to soft cabs, heaters, lights etc.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I would suggest that you ask your question in the Mud Pit Chat forum. You will get more responses there as most members do not browse the Introduce Yourself forum. Enjoy!

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't had any personal experience with tracking a sxs, however I've seen them put in, and run, and have repaired the carnage that they tend to cause to the rest of The machine, IMO they are simply too heavy and put a pile of stress on all the other components therefore causing a lot of maintanance, just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as storm says they definitely, put a lot of added stress on driveline , suspension and steering components. I ran a set on a 900 ranger this past winter worked well in the snow, they do have there limitations. when stuck you will wish to be some where else period. falling through deep crusty snow will be nightmare, you will have a whole new set of challenges. logs can be a nightmare, icy hills stream crossings an tight trees. forget abut trying t keep up with sleds as you cannot and will do major damage if you try. they ride rough, tend to pull side to side

I would suggest renting before purchasing and underpowered is not the way to go! nothing smaller than a 900 in my opinion.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The RZR's were working pretty good on the hard pack out in Revy last winter.

DSCF3188.jpg

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We run tracks at work and they work very well year round.

Cummins610

Reaction score
My opinion the camoplast system is very well built and easy to get replacement parts. Need the big bore power but pick whatever brand she's sits the most comfortable in. Get power steering for sure. My old man has ran his for 2 winters on a 1000 commander ice fishing and around the farm, no issues, but no way your going to keep up with the sleds as far as speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest problem i see us one arm, try out a few before you spend piles of money

HILCLMR

Reaction score
I ran my 900xp on TJD tracks last winter, I installed a heater and a pro armor cab.We rode in Fernie when it was -27c....The speed loss when compared to wheels is 40-45% unless you go with Polaris tracks, they are a touch faster.
Speed is not the thing with these systems, if properly set up like mine going all day is super comfy.
Yes your wheel bearings take a beating, but at $20 a pop for them does it matter?
If you want your daughter to get out and about think about getting a cab and a heater. World of difference!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kootenay speed shop in Creston has a ranger all done up with a full cab system, tracks, etc for sale. Probably a lot cheaper than setting one up yourself. 250 428-7531

Top Bottom