Side by Side Comparison - looking for advice

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I seen the new Maverick is out on display on the net... and I am guessing nobody has any experience on one yet but I thought I would kick this off - I am interested in picking up a side by side next spring. I don't want a work side by side - i am more interested in the RZR, Wildcat, Maverick type of machine. Now my question for all you guys and girls is as honest as you can be... what do you like and what do you not like about your machines? And do any of you have one for sale? haha like I said I am interested in one for next year. Thanks in advance!

R

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if I had to pick something about the commander I don't like, it would be all the computer controlled crap like the speed limiter and shaft saver. the new maverick is speed limited to 75mph and will most likely utilize the shaft saver as well. there are lots of maverick demo rides going on in the US right now, quite a few vids and pictures on the web.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Way I see it, maverick if you care about being the fastest, rzr xp for trails everyday type use, wildcat for technical riding like rock crawling, and if you don't mind the lack of power.

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have read that the cat's suspension is phenomenal and any bumps or whoops on the trails the cat soaks them up like a dream and in turn becomes faster down the trails than the rzr? is this true? Watching vids on the net for comparisons it looks like the cat handles the trails pretty good compared to the rzr? but the rzr is faster on straight flat ground? Does anybody find the Wildcat to long for trails? I have heard this complaint before but is it indeed an issue in comparison to the rzr? or do they all seem a bit bulky in the treed trails?

R

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have read that the cat's suspension is phenomenal and any bumps or whoops on the trails the cat soaks them up like a dream and in turn becomes faster down the trails than the rzr? is this true? Watching vids on the net for comparisons it looks like the cat handles the trails pretty good compared to the rzr? but the rzr is faster on straight flat ground? Does anybody find the Wildcat to long for trails? I have heard this complaint before but is it indeed an issue in comparison to the rzr? or do they all seem a bit bulky in the treed trails?

R
this is our crew, all 3 of the machines have their good points and bad. the wildcat has insane suspension but it's better suited for wide open whoopy trails, in the tight stuff he had to use reverse to get around some corners where the rzr and commander could make it around. it is pretty much a pure sport machine. the rzr is kick ass all around, the rear box is small but there is room to pack a cooler and some gear. has great suspension as well, very quick off the line, the only bad thing about it in my opinion and experience in riding with it is that it goes thru some parts and in the mud you pretty much wear whatever you go thru. not quite as bad as the 'cat, but you get dirty. this one is on it's second engine, and the suspension is sagged out in 2 seasons of use. the commander is heavier than the rzr, not sure what the 'cat weighs, but it is by far the most comfortable and roomiest inside with the best protection from the mud etc. it does everything okay with the speed and power being right there with the rzr. it has gone everywhere the rzr has with no trouble. and it sounds AWESOME with a pipe compared to the others...lol.

GrandeCacheBash2012011.jpg

big3.jpg

Last edited:

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup - pics are showing up... Great feedback. So just to recap what you said.

Cat is good in wide open high speed whoopy trails, not great in tight trails.
Rzr is great all around, good in tight trails but the one in your group is on its second motor and suspension is sagged out in 2 season
Commander is good all around, heavy but can keep up and has best protection to mud vs the RZR and Cat.

Did i recap that properly?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup - pics are showing up... Great feedback. So just to recap what you said.

Cat is good in wide open high speed whoopy trails, not great in tight trails.
Rzr is great all around, good in tight trails but the one in your group is on its second motor and suspension is sagged out in 2 season
Commander is good all around, heavy but can keep up and has best protection to mud vs the RZR and Cat.

Did i recap that properly?
yessir, your comprehension skillz are wicked awesome. these are only my findings, do not take them as gospel....I'm happy with the commander but would LOVE a maverick just to lay the smack down on my bud's RZR...lol. with the wheels and tires we have, he can holeshot me by about 3 lengths but I can catch him on the big end. takes about a quarter mile to reel him in

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't count out a rzr s either: it's lighter and more nimble than any of the other sport rigs, still has long travel, and from what I've heard it can take a lot more abuse (bush style) than the xp or wildcat. I haven't had a whole lot of time on mine yet but from my few short rides I can tell you I don't have many complaints so far, just the seats, some preference issues with clutching, and I wish sounded as good as a commander, lol. Overall I think it's a great machine for trails!

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did 6 or 7 scag trips this summer with a mix of commanders and rsrs. In the end i think my preference would go to the polaris rsr. It is about 400lbs lighter,substantially cheaper and had far fewer clutching issues. The RSR S with 28" tires,a 2" lift and a clutch kit would be my choice.

Last edited:

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rzr s is a great machine it has good suspension and power along with reliability. After 5 of my buddies buying 900 xp and 3 of them have major issues , I decided to go with an 800 s and haven't had a single issue. My only downside compared to the xp is ground clearance. But 2" lift and 27-28" tires makes it much better. I cranked my fox shocks up and gained 4" of clearance.and then put on a set of 27" outlaws. You can fit 30" tires on them stock. I might do a 2" lift this winter , but I'm still undicided because it works pretty good the way it is.

Plus the money you save on an 800 vs 900 you can buy a lot of accessories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my commander for what i use it for but would love to have a maverik or xp900 for just ripping around in. I ride with a few xp's and they are an awesome machine but i like my commander for comfort, power, fit and finish, cargo area, and my dealer was what made my final choice. If i could have found a dealer that could of matched what pines did for me on my commander i would of bought a xp. The xp's are not any cheaper then a commander and the macerick should be close to same price as the xp as well.

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
DON'T BUY A COMMANDER THERE ch!t! trust me I have a big black and yellow coat rack sitting in my garage

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
I have broken 2 axles on an all stock engine and suspension , good throttle control wasn't flooring it in mud. The seats were rubbing the plastics and cut a hole in them , they are coming apart in other places. The little shock that adjusts the steering wheel just stopped working. Oh and the best one I love this one the most the transmission just blew up after 1400 km a month out of warranty. Brp is the worst to deal with for warranty, my buddy has the rzr 800 and he has a bunch of work done on his and no problems they just do it , every time I bring mine in they suspect I've broken it some how. They want pictures of everything it feels like I'm on trial. The rzr 900xp is just better as well. Oh and I've went through 3 belts

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have broken 2 axles on an all stock engine and suspension , good throttle control wasn't flooring it in mud. The seats were rubbing the plastics and cut a hole in them , they are coming apart in other places. The little shock that adjusts the steering wheel just stopped working. Oh and the best one I love this one the most the transmission just blew up after 1400 km a month out of warranty. Brp is the worst to deal with for warranty, my buddy has the rzr 800 and he has a bunch of work done on his and no problems they just do it , every time I bring mine in they suspect I've broken it some how. They want pictures of everything it feels like I'm on trial. The rzr 900xp is just better as well. Oh and I've went through 3 belts

Wanna sell it?

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1 season on my rzr only problem was a broken cv shaft(caused by me being reckless) and a peeled open a rim(again my fault). so far i love the thing plenty of power, rides great never felt unstable in it. my only down fall to it would be the credit card bills that it piles up.

Top Bottom