Sicamous Sled Shop and Service

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Flat rate is how good mechanics make good money as the employee. It's also how dealerships make money, cause it sure isn't on the sales end.
the prices of new sleds in this valley are quit high unless your buying non currents.

Last edited:

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the prices of new sleds in the this valley are quit high unless your buying non currents.
True, as with any brand new vehicle, but the dealership still only makes x amount of a percentage off the sale, regardless of factory incentives. A good mechanic on flat rate will make the dealership more money than a good salesman.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True, as with any brand new vehicle, but the dealership still only makes x amount of a percentage off the sale, regardless of factory incentives. A good mechanic on flat rate will make the dealership more money than a good salesman.
some dealers make less than x amount on the sale to get inventory out the door and yes you are correct service and parts are where there money gets made.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep and hugely in favour of dealer .
lol
Every time
I disagree bud. Very hard to make flat rate most times. These times are derived from a very experienced factory mechanic that sets out tools beforehand
and has done the job numerous times. I'll give you an example. QRS bolt replacement is only .3 whether changing bolts only or drilling holes out and putting a nut on backside. PDrive removal is a must for this. Just can't be done.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is also zero time allotted for parts cleaning in flat rate as well. So you blow a base gasket and oil everywhere I guess they expect you to clean mating surfaces then slam it back together. Meanwhile customer gets sled back that looks the same as it did when it came in.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree bud. Very hard to make flat rate most times. These times are derived from a very experienced factory mechanic that sets out tools beforehand
and has done the job numerous times. I'll give you an example. QRS bolt replacement is only .3 whether changing bolts only or drilling holes out and putting a nut on backside. PDrive removal is a must for this. Just can't be done.

I should have clarified that i was more in general talking about auto repairs ?
Side tracked with the mobile repair trucks hourly rate . Lol

mxz800x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a warranty recall, which is different than a repair. that is what BRP is giving to the dealerships For time because ,BRP doesn't want to pay big money like the rest of there customers. So the dealerships have to suck it up.if there was no warranty on the sled the dealerships will charge more. I have a good friend who works at a gm dealership who works at flat rate. He's the only person I know that can bill 12 hours in a day and only be at work for 7 hours. He loves flat rate. Just saying.

Adren-junkie

Reaction score
Flat rate is how good mechanics make good money as the employee. It's also how dealerships make money, cause it sure isn't on the sales end.

it is also why some mechanics with no morals do half assed work, not all, but they are out there and they will tell you they're the best around.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is also why some mechanics with no morals do half assed work, not all, but they are out there and they will tell you they're the best around.
A good flat rate tech can beat time, even warranty time ( very very hard to do) and do a great job, cause come backs are done for free, so there's a fine line

Yes there are lots and lots of hack guys out there, but there is some good think 10 steps ahead guys that can and do make time on every job, I was 145 % proficient averaged, meaning in 100 hours worked ( there for) I would bill 145 hours

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is valid. However from my experience in a number of industries, the ones that brag to everyone at how great they are usually are quite the opposite. The ones that are excellent at what they do are usually pretty humble and quiet.

I have a few friends with average efficiencies where Tex is and they do very well for themselves with very little comebacks.

They also work beside some hacks, and they either don't last long or get taken off flat rate and get paid by the hour.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is valid. However from my experience in a number of industries, the ones that brag to everyone at how great they are usually are quite the opposite. The ones that are excellent at what they do are usually pretty humble and quite.

I have a few friends with average efficiencies where Tex is and they do very well for themselves with very little comebacks.

They also work beside some hacks, and they either don't last long or get taken off flat rate and get paid by the hour.
Lmfao, ya they put the friggin hack guys beside me to learn from me

Problem is its a non stop interruption to help them, which takes my time away

I put a end to that not long after I seen my hours go down

The hack guts need to be beside the hourly shop forman lmao

Think I had 2 come backs all of last year, and it was from interruptions and or getting pulled off big job to do smaller one and forgot where I left off

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lmfao, ya they put the friggin hack guys beside me to learn from me

Problem is its a non stop interruption to help them, which takes my time away

I put a end to that not long after I seen my hours go down

The hack guts need to be beside the hourly shop forman lmao

Think I had 2 come backs all of last year, and it was from interruptions and or getting pulled off big job to do smaller one and forgot where I left off
Haha you and my friend have a lot in common in that area.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a warranty recall, which is different than a repair. that is what BRP is giving to the dealerships For time because ,BRP doesn't want to pay big money like the rest of there customers. So the dealerships have to suck it up.if there was no warranty on the sled the dealerships will charge more. I have a good friend who works at a gm dealership who works at flat rate. He's the only person I know that can bill 12 hours in a day and only be at work for 7 hours. He loves flat rate. Just saying.
Maybe GM is more generous with their flat rate? I can verify that BRP are cheap c**ts with their dealers on pretty much everything. Just saying.;)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe GM is more generous with their flat rate? I can verify that BRP are cheap c**ts with their dealers on pretty much everything. Just saying.;)
No, g.m sucks to for times

Most times are not realistic

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread was intended to hi lite and promote a new sled service shop in Sicamous, something that was needed badly but in true S and M fashion has turned into a bunch of whining about the hourly rate by people that must be experts in running a powersports business.

The alternative is to load your brokedown junk and drive 5 to 8 hours back to wherever you came from.

Top Bottom