Sicamous Sled Shop and Service

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did a little searching, and the average rate to repair an RV, which is also seasonal is $110/hour. so 130 is far from being unreasonable, even during regular business hours.

Which makes being a mobile HD mechanic, not very appealing at 90/hour

overhead my friend, overhead.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did a little searching, and the average rate to repair an RV, which is also seasonal is $110/hour. so 130 is far from being unreasonable, even during regular business hours.

Is that including shop supplies lol

That extra $20/hr is an extra $160 on a full 8hr day shop tab.

But if it gets you back up and riding, totally worth it.

Last edited:

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s a lot of full line dealers that don’t have common parts in stock that break. So a beside the mtn shop that has most common parts that fail or get smashed is huge bonus.
Tex has been around doos awhile so he prob has very good idea of the main things they need to have on shelf to keep customers on the snow.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s a lot of full line dealers that don’t have common parts in stock that break. So a beside the mtn shop that has most common parts that fail or get smashed is huge bonus.
Tex has been around doos awhile so he prob has very good idea of the main things they need to have on shelf to keep customers on the snow.
They should have a back room full of 1/2 ton differentials , axles and leaf springs, probably be a full time job changing them on all the heathen 1/2 ton sled deck owners.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jesus... reading tex’s posts as this business’ Official Online PR Manager is as cringeworthy as reading Trump’s twitter account.

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you guys get your mobile truck repair rates. Must be some shady back yard mechanic types. Buddy in red deer who is a cheap sob pays $150 an hr to get a guy to come to his shop and at my mine we pay anywhere from $150 to $200 an hr depending on the contractor.

IMO you charge what the market will support. That's the way it works. Especially if it keeps customers happy and your upfront with your quotes to repair and inform them if it costs more.

If you are at day 2 which is saturday in your week long sled vacay and bust your a arms off or blow a track your likely gonna pay a little more to only be down a day and not ruin the rest of your trip.

Drifter1

Reaction score
Not sure where you guys get your mobile truck repair rates. Must be some shady back yard mechanic types. Buddy in red deer who is a cheap sob pays $150 an hr to get a guy to come to his shop and at my mine we pay anywhere from $150 to $200 an hr depending on the contractor.

IMO you charge what the market will support. That's the way it works. Especially if it keeps customers happy and your upfront with your quotes to repair and inform them if it costs more.

If you are at day 2 which is saturday in your week long sled vacay and bust your a arms off or blow a track your likely gonna pay a little more to only be down a day and not ruin the rest of your trip.

Mobile heavy equipment repair in Salmon Arm $110 hr plus shop supplies.
Dealers like Brandt Tractor finning charge $175 to $200 an hour.

Arctic Cat in Salmon arm charges $110 a hour.

$130 seems a little step to me. If there open 7 days a week the mechanics are on shift so its not like they are paying O/T to have a mechanic working on a sunday.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

$130 seems a little step to me. If there open 7 days a week the mechanics are on shift so its not like they are paying O/T to have a mechanic working on a sunday.

I agree that $130 seems steep but no one is being forced to pay it. A person could load their sled up , head home and look on kijiji for used parts or call a bunch of repair shops to find the cheapest hourly rate and wait to get if fixed and save a few bucks and miss out on a weekend of riding. Another option is to pay tex $130 an hour to fix your sled and ride it the next day or rent a sled from them. Either way , they can have you riding a sled the next day. Seems like a valuable service to most guys as most of us only have so much time to get away to ride and sitting in a hotel room all day while my buddies ride and counting the $20 an hour im going to save by fixing it when i get home is not my idea of fun.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!

Load up your junk and go home 6hrs and fix it yerself. Done. No muss no fuss.

Hotwheels81

Reaction score

While some of my breatherin may scab out their service truck for that ridiculous rate I can assure you even as an hourly employee that's not far from my hourly OT rate...

If you think it's expensive hiring a good mechanic... Try hiring a cheap one.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
While some of my breatherin may scab out their service truck for that ridiculous rate I can assure you even as an hourly employee that's not far from my hourly OT rate...

If you think it's expensive hiring a good mechanic... Try hiring a cheap one.
You should try reading the WHOLE thread, to see where I got that rate from

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Darren one of the parts guys up front has worked at every brand of dealer, so he has a idea also, more so older stuff

But having said that, you can't stock everything cause the over head is crazy, and the new machines always have different stuff so it's hard to know what is common, we are learning what we and you guys need so bare with us
They should have a back room full of 1/2 ton differentials , axles and leaf springs, probably be a full time job changing them on all the heathen 1/2 ton sled deck owners.
Well I guess if need be I could swing that for ya too , have a list of them under my belt

Hotwheels81

Reaction score
You should try reading the WHOLE thread, to see where I got that rate from

Ive read the WHOLE thread since it started... Also popped in to the shop a few days ago to check it out... Wallet took a hit before I left... Good folks, plenty of wisdom there.

What I'm chuckling about is the caliber of HD "mechanik" one would get for $90hr... I've seen em, met em, fixed what they could not... And typically I've needed a translator while doing it ��

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some real kids in here..

90/hr mechanic that has work all year round and goes home every night to his family, while takes weekends off.. probably has a better life than most here.. with a higher paycheck in years end.. very smart fellow

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some real kids in here..

90/hr mechanic that has work all year round and goes home every night to his family, while takes weekends off.. probably has a better life than most here.. with a higher paycheck in years end.. very smart fellow

Yep, if he's drawing $90 he's running his own deal, not an employee for someone else. Even after paying his insurance, WCB etc. that's a good income given he will pay far less tax than an "employee".

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, if he's drawing $90 he's running his own deal, not an employee for someone else. Even after paying his insurance, WCB etc. that's a good income given he will pay far less tax than an "employee".
Yup know a few guys that are in that ballpark, owner/operator. Good mechanics too.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huge shootout to mountain motorsports! Had a rave valve come loose on my xm, I figured the gasket was screwed but turned out the bolts had backed off after a rebuild this fall! In and out in under a hour and back up the hill!
Greast showroom with friendly staff! Thanks a bunch peeps!

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the person doing the work is very experienced and can fix something in short order and charges accordingly?
Shop is well organized and clean ?
I don’t ever have a problem paying a bit more per hr.
Problem is most are always overcharging and charging more time then it takes and add a bunch of extra charges on top. “Gimmick “
Or book rate and a 6 hr job they bang it out in 3 hrs and charge the 6 hrs.
Pisses me off but they all do it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the person doing the work is very experienced and can fix something in short order and charges accordingly?
Shop is well organized and clean ?
I don’t ever have a problem paying a bit more per hr.
Problem is most are always overcharging and charging more time then it takes and add a bunch of extra charges on top. “Gimmick “
Or book rate and a 6 hr job they bang it out in 3 hrs and charge the 6 hrs.
Pisses me off but they all do it.
That's called flat rate, and most dealerships are this way, first off its easy to quote

Top Bottom