Shutter bugs?

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great pics! I really like how strikingly white the buildings are, and the water has a nice turquoise color. Greece is definitely on our "To go" list.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great pics! I really like how strikingly white the buildings are, and the water has a nice turquoise color. Greece is definitely on our "To go" list.

it was awesome there! 3 weeks with not a cloud in the sky temperatures were between 35 - 45 C everyday! If you go make sure you go to the island of Santorini! Simply unbelievable!

iamcanadian

Reaction score
I agree... this would be an awesome addition to the current forums... in addition, it would be really helpful to most new camera operators to post your camera settings that you used for the pic. I am also quite new, just bought a Nikkon 5100 before my trip to Tofino, also bought the book 'Understanding Exposure"... excellent book for a beginner because it isn't too technical and walks you thru using the settings on your camera... after reading and playing for 2 hours, I was taking some pretty cool shots

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree... this would be an awesome addition to the current forums... in addition, it would be really helpful to most new camera operators to post your camera settings that you used for the pic. I am also quite new, just bought a Nikkon 5100 before my trip to Tofino, also bought the book 'Understanding Exposure"... excellent book for a beginner because it isn't too technical and walks you thru using the settings on your camera... after reading and playing for 2 hours, I was taking some pretty cool shots

I read my manual cover to cover twice and watched some youtube videos as well. The problem I had is that by the time you set the camera for the shot the moment was lost. All the pictures I took were on Auto but I do have to learn more. Practice will be essential!

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got my new camera the Canon Eos Rebel T3i. Havent opened the box yet but was playing with one in the store the other day. Oh what the hell lets open the box. Dang now the battery needs charging but it is a pretty black lump

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got my new camera the Canon Eos Rebel T3i. Havent opened the box yet but was playing with one in the store the other day. Oh what the hell lets open the box. Dang now the battery needs charging but it is a pretty black lump

Sounds nifty! Did you get a 55-250 lens as well?

Sent from my white iPhone 4

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got the one lens in the kit.. The 18-55. But only got to walk two blocks to mother in laws and can "borrow" her 100-300 and her doubler which will double any lens you can put it with. Cool little accessory. Mother in law has the T1i. Hopefully get out quadding this week end and get some use out of the camera and see how bad I can take pics.

Coldone

Reaction score
My wife and I swap out between a Nikon D40 and a D90.. She's definety got the more artistic eye.. And has me beat with skill as well.. It's an interest we have in common, and it gives her something to do while I'm out quading with the kids.. Gotta ask though... Where do you guys look to get more training?? Clubs?

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey where did you go in greece ive been there a couple of times.

we went to Santorini, Crete and Athens. I have lived in Athens when I was young as my dad is greek and both my mom and him now live in Anavissos which is hr south of Athens towards Sounio (Poseidon's Temple). We spent a fait bit of time their as well. Love to visit there especially in the summer as weather is so predictable and hot! Where have you been?

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I got the T3i in June and really like it. Big upgrade from the XT. I have the 55-250 IS lens and really like it. Now I'm looking for a 70-200 f4.0 L series lens.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we went to Santorini, Crete and Athens. I have lived in Athens when I was young as my dad is greek and both my mom and him now live in Anavissos which is hr south of Athens towards Sounio (Poseidon's Temple). We spent a fait bit of time their as well. Love to visit there especially in the summer as weather is so predictable and hot! Where have you been?

I love greece ive been to Rhodes and paros i really want to retire there one day.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently down in Moab, Utah. Pretty cool place. Hired a guide, Bob Maynard. Rocky Mountain Photo Tours & Workshops - Boulder, Rocky Mountain NP & Colorado Rockies Learned a lot about photography, my camera, the area and its history. Really good time. Most of my subjects were either local landscape, or ancient Anasazi ruins. Ancient Pueblo Peoples - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BalancedRock.jpg

TurretThroughTheNorthWindow.jpg

DSC01107.jpg

DoubleArch.jpg

FalseKiva.jpg

Cant tell me these guys are not aliens!
BartletWashPictograph.jpg

BartletWashPictograph2.jpg

RoadsidePetroglyph2.jpg

RoadsidePetroglyph.jpg

MesaArch.jpg

ClaretCup.jpg

ClaretCup2.jpg

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought I would bring this thread back.
Just purchased a Canon T3I kit at Costco and now must learn how to use it.
Came with 18-55is and 55-250is lenses, sd card, bag and monopod, $798.00.

So where does a guy even start to figure this thing out?

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To learn the camera itself, you may want to pick up a Canon specific book. But to learn the basics of shooting, I would strongly recommend Digital Photography Volume 1 by Scott Kelby. The other two books in the linked boxed set get into lighting setups and stuff, which may not be what you're after, but I can't say enough about the first book. Phenomenal writing style to learn from.

Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3: Amazon.ca: Scott Kelby: Books

Other than that, just take a bajillion pictures and find what suits you. Happy shooting!

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Try this website out...

Its a great online tutorial done by Canon, on understanding the concepts of exposure, aperture, ISO, shutter speed. From there, its really just a matter of playing around until you find out what works (which shutter speeds work well for indoors for low light, as opposed to what you would need for a sled flying by, etc). Trial and error really.

Best thing I bought was the 50mm 1.8 lens. It takes great photos with that nice blurred background.

I use a T4i, with 18-105mm, and a 50mm 1.8, and 18-55 (junk). I have a tripod and wireless remote too. It will do HD video, but the autofocus is VERY finicky. BUT, its better than packing a separate handheld. I thought about the 60D....and perhaps in hindsight should have gone that route. I find the autofocus modes in the photo mode, can be a pain too, and the odd photo comes out blurry.

Couples examples of this camera...

020(2).jpg
039.jpg
From a Rebel XT that I used to have...
2.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't even mess around an take this course

It will make the difference between you and the other people who just use a glorified point 'n' shoot!!

It shows you the fundamentals of full manual mode photography. You will never use your camera in auto ever again. Exercises, troubleshooting, metering, demo's projects, fundamentals.. It makes you understand how a DSLR is supposed to work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom