Shutter bugs?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen in the 2nd hobby thread a while ago that a few users on this site have some sort of SLR camera. I figured a camera thread would be nice for discussing various techniques and cameras you use, down to the lenses, cards, etc and tripods. Videos and pictures of quading and snowmobling... Etc... Where ever the wind takes the thread. I'll start.

I'm a Canon guy, I got a Rebel T2i, class 10 Panasonic 16gb card, 18-55 and a 55-250 lens. I also have a LowePro case and a Dynex tripod.

I use it for taking family pictures, quading pictures and videos. I like to have fun with my camera. To me, its like a 2nd hobby from motor sports.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the T2i for someone who's looking to get an SLR and take some nice photos. I also recommend the 55-250 lens so you don't get board with the 18-55 when your out doors.

So, who's next? :)

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting a new cam and i would like to get into taking sweet sledding pics. so this would be a sweet thread.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting a new cam and i would like to get into taking sweet sledding pics. so this would be a sweet thread.

Thats what I love about my camera, it shoots in 1080P HD, and has 18MP so its very clear for pics and video. I like to bring it on trips to gather some great shots. If your hard core in to sledding the T2i shoots at about 4fps so you can hold the shutter button down and always get that perfect shot!

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive just got into cameras ive got a nikon D90 for a starter SLR could not afford the new D7000 at the time. I only have the 18-105mm lens but going to get a tokina 11-16mm lens for landscapes this month i also have a lowe pro bag Hope to get a tripod soon.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive just got into cameras ive got a nikon D90 for a starter SLR could not afford the new D7000 at the time. I only have the 18-105mm lens but going to get a tokina 11-16mm lens for landscapes this month i also have a lowe pro bag Hope to get a tripod soon.

Sweet, how do you like the Nikon?

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah i really like it im learning how to use it in manual its a good camera for starter camera here is one of my favourite pictures ive takern so far.

DSC_0005.jpg

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im running the canon rebel xti. I really want a better lens im still running the 18-55 but i still get some really great pics. I fly every day in a chopper at work so i get some pretty cool wildlife photo ops. 1150 pelican case so i dont need to worry about it when im quading sledding hunting fishing etc. it actually floats on water and stays dry after 15 minutes. i tested it once in shallow water just to see.:d

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah i really like it im learning how to use it in manual its a good camera for starter camera here is one of my favourite pictures ive takern so far.

DSC_0005.jpg

Wow, that looks good! I'll have to try and see what I come up with!

im running the canon rebel xti. I really want a better lens im still running the 18-55 but i still get some really great pics. I fly every day in a chopper at work so i get some pretty cool wildlife photo ops. 1150 pelican case so i dont need to worry about it when im quading sledding hunting fishing etc. it actually floats on water and stays dry after 15 minutes. i tested it once in shallow water just to see.:d

Nice, sounds like an awesome job! Good call on the case.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
started with the rebel XT first and still on the T1i, love the camera. need more lenses... have to agree the 55-250IS is prob the best bang for the buck as far as lenses go (decent speed and lightweight), but still need a nice fast wide angle.. bought a 80-400 for a trip to africa, works great but needs the IS(image stabilization) for sure, worth the extra money, my .02! sort of like everything else, it's always old once you get it an figure it out, then you want the newest..lol. great hobby though!

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
started with the rebel XT first and still on the T1i, love the camera. need more lenses... have to agree the 55-250IS is prob the best bang for the buck as far as lenses go (decent speed and lightweight), but still need a nice fast wide angle.. bought a 80-400 for a trip to africa, works great but needs the IS(image stabilization) for sure, worth the extra money, my .02! sort of like everything else, it's always old once you get it an figure it out, then you want the newest..lol. great hobby though!

Nice, how do you like the 80-400?

Also, I'm not good enough to go to without IS. How much was that lens?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I got a new Nikon d5000 for Xmas. I have read a ton of books, watched many videos on the camera but still really have no idea how to take consistent quality photos. I have the original lens that came with it a 18 x55 and I also have a 70x300 for her. It has a ton of functions and I'm sure, if I can figure it out, I might even get it to blow me :eek: good thread. I might learn something

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a new Nikon d5000 for Xmas. I have read a ton of books, watched many videos on the camera but still really have no idea how to take consistent quality photos. I have the original lens that came with it a 18 x55 and I also have a 70x300 for her. It has a ton of functions and I'm sure, if I can figure it out, I might even get it to blow me :eek: good thread. I might learn something

Just play with it, you learn a lot that way (what works and what doesn't) Thats how I learned. :d

Your ISO is your best friend, slower shutter speeds mean you don't need to use flash (which can ruin a good photo) It can make a night time photo look like daytime. The slower the speed the blurrier it will get when your subjects aren't still. I'd recommend using a tripod for night time images with a low speed.

In borad daylight, set it to its fastest speed, its perfect for action shots this way.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice, how do you like the 80-400?

Also, I'm not good enough to go to without IS. How much was that lens?

80-400 works great, but need decent light and a way to hold it still if light is not good enough (under 400iso etc gets to noisy for me) can't remember the price, but prob in the 800-1000 range. seemed like alot of cash at the time but was going on safari/trip etc for a month, trip of a lifetime sorta deal so did it. if i did it again i'd spend the cash and get the IS for sure. honestly, unless it was bright conditions i used my 55-250IS, way more forgiving and way lighter to lug around..I was still learing quite a bit as i was going also..

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an old olympus 410E with the 14-42 lens, 40-150 lens and a 150 and a 70-300 lens, and all the goodies.... the lens is probably the most important piece on your camera, a good lens makes a cheap camera great

Attachments

• dana 017.jpg
    dana 017.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2475.jpg
    IMG_2475.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 338
  • vancouver trip 2009 368.jpg
    vancouver trip 2009 368.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 340

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I teach a class... May

Try www.betterphoto.com. - it's how I learned...

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of god info going around, this is better than expected!

And yeah, for shooting with a 400 and lower ISO I have a tripod so the 80-400 lens shouldn't be too much of a problem.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sledMamma do you know of any free online class?

There are actually lots. Not whole courses at once, but lessons in fundamentals.

Google - photography basics, tips, getting started, learning photography and even "free photography classes" and you will find a tonne.

I will do some searches and put up links when I have a minute.

Oh, and The class I teach is in Rimbey. Very exciting town. Yahuh.

Last edited:

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of god info going around, this is better than expected!

And yeah, for shooting with a 400 and lower ISO I have a tripod so the 80-400 lens shouldn't be too much of a problem.

It's not ISO that determines need for a tripod- it's shutter speed. One cannot reliably handhold anything with a shutter speed slower than 1/60th of a second without getting motion blur. If you have image stabilization (canon)/vibration reduction (Nikon) and a very steady hand you might get away with a shutter speed of 1/30th second.

That said, increasing your ISO causes a resultant increase in shutter speed. The faster your shutter closes, the sharper you "freeze motion".

ISO refers to your camera sensor or film's sensitivity to light. Higher ISO means increased sensitivity to light and therefore less light required to create an exposure (and vice versa). Thats how you can get away with letting in light for a shorter amount of time when you increase shutter speed. The trade-off: higher ISO means more "noisy" photos. Depends on the camera, but generally any ISO higher than 800 will start to get noisy. ( This means grainier photos and less sharpness ).

Top Bottom