New Drift HD helmet camera announced.

Launch Helmet Cams

Reaction score
We have just received word that Drift (aka Drift Innovation) have announced a new helmet camera that should be out mid to late August. The new camera called the looks very similar in appearance to the current Drift HD170 Stealth model. The biggest difference is that the new Drift HD is about 25% smaller which gets it down in to the GoPro and Contour camera size range.

drift-hd-blog.jpg

Carrying over from the Drift HD170 Stealth are the wireless remote control, LCD screen (for playback and changing settings), rechargeable battery, 170 degree wide angle lens that can be rotated plus/minus 180 degrees, full HD recording and 1/4" tripod thread mount which makes it very easy to mount the camera to suction cups, roll bar mounts, etc. Unfortunately the long life battery that is available for the Drift HD170 wont fit in to the newer Drift HD due to size restrictions, so if extra long battery life is important to you (especially in the cold of winter) and size isn't an issue, then the Drift HD170 might still be a good option for you.

drift-hd-stealth-comparison.jpg

The main new features in the Drift HD include an upgraded image sensor which will now take 9MP still photos, the microphone input has been changed to a 2.5mm port, the TV output has been upgraded to a HDMI output and the rear port has been improved (no more hinge, the rear port now screws in place). Another exciting upgrade is the front lens is now replaceable so that if you crash on the lens or scratch it up you can easily replace the cover yourself. The new Drift HD now takes a microSD card and will take up to a 32GB card (the HD170 takes an SD card).

Drift cameras have been our camera of choice for a lot of applications for quite a while now. The reduction in size, introduction of a replaceable lens cover and improved ports are all welcome updates and it looks like this will be a great camera.

Launch Helmet Cams

Reaction score
Video review of Drift HD

Here is a quick review we did of the new Drift HD showing some of the new features along with a size comparison against the GoPro HD Hero and Contour GPS:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome... Does this model use the same accessories as the old Drift HD? I lost mine when I was in the trees. The double open ended goggle mount is absolutely not sufficient for snowmobilers who ride trees IMO. Especially my type of riding where I get overly friendly with folliage. :p:p:p

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome... Does this model use the same accessories as the old Drift HD? I lost mine when I was in the trees. The double open ended goggle mount is absolutely not sufficient for snowmobilers who ride trees IMO. Especially my type of riding where I get overly friendly with folliage. :p:p:p

Ok I watched the vid.. seems like you updated the goggle mount! nice. thank you.

Launch Helmet Cams

Reaction score
Momma,
The new helmet clip is certainly improved. They basically just combined the goggle strap mount, with the helmet clip, so you essentially have option of using whichever one you want (in your case, the non-open slots). Pretty smart design change.
Likewise the replaceable lens should help you with your 'affinity for foliage' ;). Always a good idea to tether your camera to something if you can. It is never fun losing your camera (and footage) to the snow/water gods, and tethering is really the only way to make sure.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Momma,
The new helmet clip is certainly improved. They basically just combined the goggle strap mount, with the helmet clip, so you essentially have option of using whichever one you want (in your case, the non-open slots). Pretty smart design change.
Likewise the replaceable lens should help you with your 'affinity for foliage' ;). Always a good idea to tether your camera to something if you can. It is never fun losing your camera (and footage) to the snow/water gods, and tethering is really the only way to make sure.

Yup I would agree. My next camera will be a Drift and it will most certainly be tethered to me! Glad to hear of the improvements!

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Momma,

can we buy the new mount for last years camera? also do you have a hood mount for this camera yet? if so where can we get them from?...thanks!

Launch Helmet Cams

Reaction score
can we buy the new mount for last years camera? also do you have a hood mount for this camera yet? if so where can we get them from?...thanks!

The new mount will work with any of the but it isn't available as an accessory. I expect that Drift will release it as an accessory although we don't have a firm date on when that will happen.

Launch Helmet Cams

Reaction score
Forgot to answer your second question - most people use the for hood mounting (although as mentioned before using a tether or leash is always a good idea with suction cup mounts).

Top Bottom