Need a New Camera before the Big Trip

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am finally heading to Europe in the next month or so.

My little point and shoot cheapo just died.

Have been researching a lot and don't know if I should go cheapo or something more high end and try to get into photography a bit. No DSLR of courses but now the companies seem to be pushing something called micro four thirds cameras. I just don't know if a non fixed lens would be the best way to go.

I don't want to carry around a huge thing, but if the pictures would be substantially better maybe something mid sized.

I have looked at tons of cameras and am totally confused.

Canon - G12, and S95, and SX220
Nikon - coolpix P700 and P300
Olympus - XZ-1
Panasonic - LX5 or ZS10
Sony - HX9V or WX10

I am not big on the only controls via touchscreen thing, and really I don't care about the whole GPS trend thing although I guess I can see why that might be cool. Battery drainer though.

Any recommendations fellow snow and mudders?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best camera I can recommend is the Panasonic TS-2. No touch screen, but its 14MP with a moderate amount of zoom and its practically indestructable.

Shock proof from 6.6 feet and water proof for 33 feet in depth. Great for quading, and trips incase you drop it.

I have a T2i, I'd reccomend that, but you said you didn't want a DSLR.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'v owned several different makes and have always been partial to the Canons. These days I try to look for something waterproof so I can take it in the mud with me, to the hot springs, or even shallow scuba diving. My current cameral is a rugged, waterproof Olympus - an average camera, but definately rugged and waterprrof. Cannon now makes at least one decent waterproof model.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the olympus tough series camera. Can't say enough about it, it has seen everything. Heck, I've slammed with it in my hand recording video while snowboarding, I tomahawked head over heels, it kept recording.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the olympus tough series camera. Can't say enough about it, it has seen everything. Heck, I've slammed with it in my hand recording video while snowboarding, I tomahawked head over heels, it kept recording.
I have the Canon G12 and I HATE IT. Stoooopid camera, especially if you like to shoot on anything other than auto. Expensive for the crap it puts out. I don't know much about the micro-four thirds cameras at all. We did have the Olympus tough series of P&S and it was awesome. It took good clear pictures and you could drop it, swim with it etc., Nice small size. I think unless you plan on getting really crazy with your photography you should look for something functional that has a nice LCD for viewing and more than 12 megapixels for good quality :)

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had 2 Canon powershot digital elphs. I was always happy with the pictures, the functions, and the price. the new ones have 5x optical zoom, which is pretty cool for a slim camera.

A website to look at is Dpreview.com

They go a little overboard on the technical stuff, but they are thorough.

Top Bottom