Should I get a used Renegade Backcountry x or Summit?

RazorSVT

Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a used sled thinking a 2009 or 2010. I Cannot decide between a Renegade backcountry x or a summit. It would be used mostly around Fort McMurray but I would like to do a couple trips/winter to the mountains. I know the backcountry x comes with a 137x16" track with 1.75" lugs and the summit with a 146x16" and 2.5" lugs. Anyone have experiences with these sleds?

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. Have a 2011 Summit X and a 2005 Renegade that I made into a 2005 Summit (Summit A-Arms, skis, 146 skid and track etc).
Renegade is a great 2nd sled but Summit is WAY better in deep snow if you want to carve, go in the trees and have fun.
Having said that the Renegade with the 146x16x1.75" will climb straight up quite well - has high track speed and is stable. Comfortable seat and ride.
Only real problem with the 05 Renegade is the snow builds up where your feet go as there aren't enough holes to let the snow go through.
Newer Renegade Back Country are better but still won't stay with a Summit in technical riding.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you really cannot go wrong with either as the summit does not have the cooling issues other mountain sled brands have you will lose a little top speed with a bigger lug track but conversely it will out climb the renegade. you just have to decide which feature is more important to you and also base it on what type of sleds your riding group have so you can either keep up on the flats or climb in mountains. Off course since you are buying used price and condition will sway your view as well.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My advice would be to get either machine but spend a little more to get a newer sled with an e-tec engine. It will be money well spent. If you can swing it, a freeride 137 with the 2-1/4" lug is a great all around sled.

RazorSVT

Reaction score
Yes. Have a 2011 Summit X and a 2005 Renegade that I made into a 2005 Summit (Summit A-Arms, skis, 146 skid and track etc).
Renegade is a great 2nd sled but Summit is WAY better in deep snow if you want to carve, go in the trees and have fun.
Having said that the Renegade with the 146x16x1.75" will climb straight up quite well - has high track speed and is stable. Comfortable seat and ride.
Only real problem with the 05 Renegade is the snow builds up where your feet go as there aren't enough holes to let the snow go through.
Newer Renegade Back Country are better but still won't stay with a Summit in technical riding.

Great thanks for the insight. I'm just trying to justify a summit but considering I won't be able to get to the mountains often I don't think I'll have much of a chance to do much technical riding.

I think you really cannot go wrong with either as the summit does not have the cooling issues other mountain sled brands have you will lose a little top speed with a bigger lug track but conversely it will out climb the renegade. you just have to decide which feature is more important to you and also base it on what type of sleds your riding group have so you can either keep up on the flats or climb in mountains. Off course since you are buying used price and condition will sway your view as well.
. Yes is exactly, this is why I'm having a hard time deciding, however prices for both are comparable.

My advice would be to get either machine but spend a little more to get a newer sled with an e-tec engine. It will be money well spent. If you can swing it, a freeride 137 with the 2-1/4" lug is a great all around sled.

I set a budget of $9000 but that includes a used sled deck so as much as I'd love a free ride, that's out of my range, as are newer etecs. Tell me, how are etecs that much better?

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thanks for the insight. I'm just trying to justify a summit but considering I won't be able to get to the mountains often I don't think I'll have much of a chance to do much technical riding.

. Yes is exactly, this is why I'm having a hard time deciding, however prices for both are comparable.etechs

I set a budget of $9000 but that includes a used sled deck so as much as I'd love a free ride, that's out of my range, as are newer etecs. Tell me, how are etecs that much better?
etechs last longer as far as engine life,a bit better on fuel and oil although so are p techs an etech though can be a little cranky for starting in cold temps There was a thread on here about ptek engine life.

Top Bottom