Short tracks

codey525

Reaction score
Myself and a couple buddy's are thinking about making a trip to golden in early December. 2 of us are on short track snocross sleds and the other on a renagade. Wondering if it would even be worth making the trip on short tracks. Thanks for any Input. Codey

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Myself and a couple buddy's are thinking about making a trip to golden in early December. 2 of us are on short track snocross sleds and the other on a renagade. Wondering if it would even be worth making the trip on short tracks. Thanks for any Input. Codey

well depends on your skill and snow depth if its blower pow and over a few ft fresh it may be tuffer but the trail in is 15-20kms and groomed and there is usually a main path beat in to get up higher so ya can venture off a bit,,, but 10 years ago everyone had shorties haha
now in the spring its all good some peeps bring the shorties for jump n

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well depends on your skill and snow depth if its blower pow and over a few ft fresh it may be tuffer but the trail in is 15-20kms and groomed and there is usually a main path beat in to get up higher so ya can venture off a bit,,, but 10 years ago everyone had shorties haha
now in the spring its all good some peeps bring the shorties for jump n

My first ride in the mountains was on a Phazer shortrack 20 years ago..you can do it!! Just be prepared to do some digging..my son rode a 300 single way back into quartz a couple years ago, and had lots of fun..that area is usually pounded out anyways..

sled ryan 144.jpg

codey525

Reaction score
Yeah were not first timers or anything. We rode golden last year with sleds rented from Aaron at GSR, and Like you said it was pretty packed down the hole way up. Were running 121" with 1.75" lug so might be ok. Been a change of plans as we would be coming over next weekend, leave here the 24 and ride the 25,26,27. Thanks again.

jamieprince

Reaction score
You'll be fine, momentum is your best friend when riding a shorty. I rode a 440 sno cross sled in the mountains for a few years and had a lot of fun both on the deep days and the not so deep days. If you ride a snocross sled i'm sure your no stranger to having the throttle tapped to the bars, keep it there and you'll have alot of fun!! Remember momentum, momentum, momentum!!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know lots of guys who like the shories better, have way more fun as every hill is a challenge no point and shoot so to speak.

this coming from a guy who never gets to the big hills and still rides a 162 though lol, i hate being stuck.

snopro59

Reaction score
Here's a buddy of mine who rides Revy on his 09 Nytro RTX 121! This video is when it was stock with a 1 7/8 track on it.
919 - Revelstoke - YouTube

He had it boosted with a mcx 180 kit last year and it was unreal what he could do on it with a 121 x 2. He can turnout on a dime and give you change.

This year he's upgrading the turbo to mcx 270 and stretching to a 146 x 2.5.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depending on how far you are driving out from ? and how long your are staying for ? you may be better flying to Calgary, renting a car and renting a Mountain sled to ride in the Mountains. If it starts dumping and your out here with your flat land sled( I was at quartz creek in Golden last season and it snowed 100cm over night) you will not be having much fun on even a 146....... Anyhow, now matter what you will have fun.....

codey525

Reaction score
Thanks for all the opinions! We are coming from Fort Mcmurray, so it's a soild 11 hour drive. And be riding for 3 days.

Pro-Am Chris

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Based on this weeks snow fall your boys better be in good shape to do a lot of shoveling! ;)

thammer

Reaction score
i have a 144 which i'm quite tempermental about, depending on conditions i love it or hate it. doesnt climb even close to the 162 and 159 some of the guys i ride with but i love how easily i can manuever it in the mountains. any kind of powder and i'm digging all day but its still worth going. always worth going to the mountains

mcridge

Reaction score
I say go for it!!! You'll still have a blast. I have a buddy from Saskatoon who rides a polaris 600 with a 136x1/34 track. He's got it geared nicely for out here and he hauls ass on 98% of the guys out here. Mind you he does have the skill. The only limitation is he can't climb the big hills. But who cares. Go for it man. It's still a tonne of fun!

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just squish it! You ll have a good time if youre all running stubbies. One guy w a 162 would sure mess up your party though

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a 144, I ride with guys who all have all manner of sleds. I get the same places everyone else does (and places others can't). I miss the good ole days climbing the hills with my "long tracked" 136 1997 RMK ! The skills learned from years of riding compensate nicely for track length.

Having said that early season on the bottomless days I might take a longer track if there was one kicking around.

Top Bottom