Shops

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone built a new shop lately? Thinkin a 60x80 finished shop tin on outside and in. Haven't got a quote or anything yet but wondering if anyone has a idea on price. Thanks.

SKDeuce

Reaction score
Have been getting quotes for a 30x40x12 on my acreage, just the shell with tin on the outside and a 6" concrete floor, 2 doors. Quotes were between $32000 and $48000 (that one had a grade beam and piles). Those prices are built on site just south of saskatoon.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once I redo my house that is the next thing on my list. My current 1500 square footer is much too small. My mother built one about 6 years ago on her acreage. It's a 30'X40'X16' and said and done it was around $80K. That's the building finished with the doors, concrete, heater and electrical work. The killer is concrete. The building is steel sheeted inside and out with a wood frame.

I would love to put my 45'X80' steel quonset on about 4' pony walls, have it insulated and then pour a slab, but I really don't know if it's worth it. Probably simpler to just build a new building and leave that one for cold storage.

Last edited:

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a quote on 40x60x14. Cement posts in the ground, wood above ground. 2 overhead doors, 1 man door, couple windows. It was 65,000. But no floor yet, no heat, no electrical, etc. This is just south of the Lloydminster area. Buddy was around 72g with same size, he started this project about 10yrs ago. Its just about done inside out.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345873248.169478.jpg built this 24x60 complete for under 20k. Already had the pad. Hired out siding,shingles and electrical. Overhead doors at both ends were a 1/4 of the price of the whole build.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys seem to get by cheaper than us in the US. We looked at a 90x100 shop a couple years ago with 20' sidewalls, tin walls inside, 3 overhead doors, infloor heat and a 30x30 attached office for our farm shop. Price was about $385,000. Price didnt include dirt work and excavation, water, or concrete approach. Had to put the project on hold for a few years till we could tackle that purchase. They are high price but you get what you pay for. Nothing beats working in a warm building in the winter and cool building in the summer.

Sent while not working too hard

Indy245

Reaction score
I'm 15K into my 32X40X16. 6K for the cement, had a contractor come in to do the pour and finish, I did the rest. Trusses on 24" centre cost 2.6K. I have the building sheeted on the outside with OSB ($10 a sheet, 7/16). I figure it's going to cost another 15K for insulation, wiring, siding, shingles, etc + 3K for a 12X14 door installed with the electric opener. These projects are not overly expensive if you can do most of the work yourself. It's taken all summer to get to this point, much nicer to have it done quickly but much more expensive to pay someone to do it. (I haven't put much time into it to this point, just busy at work)

Last edited:

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 15K into my 32X40X16. 6K for the cement, had a contractor come in to do the pour and finish, I did the rest. Trusses on 24" centre cost 2.6K. I have the building sheeted on the outside with OSB ($10 a sheet, 7/16). I figure it's going to cost another 15K for insulation, wiring, siding, shingles, etc + 3K for a 12X14 door installed with the electric opener. These projects are not overly expensive if you can do most of the work yourself. It's taken all summer to get to this point, much nicer to have it done quickly but much more expensive to pay someone to do it. (I haven't put much time into it to this point, just busy at work)

Agreed, we build the 30X40X16 shop at my dads place on our own also and saved a bundle. Only thing we contracted out was the concrete finishing. Its really not that bad when you have a few guys with some basic skills working and knowing tradesmen that you can call for guidance and advice when needed.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
going with a 60x100 shop with Goodon industries. price seem good, fast to assemble and have a good rep in this area.

Seen one go up one time. 120x70. They put that thing up in a day and a half! Great quality and speed was amazing.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Want to know the unfortunate thing......
most lenders will only value between 5-10 acres and one outbuilding
and that outbuilding can not include a shop, quancet, barn etc...

Seems like a lot of cake to spend ( cash ) if it doesnt add value to your home
i dont agree with this policy but that seems to be the "norm", unless you deal with a local C/U or FCC

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try and purchase a home with a shop and without in the same area, with no differences than just the shop. Regardless of whatever mortgage company you are dealing with and how they view it reality says otherwise.

Not to mention having someplace to work, repair things and enjoy yourself.

It's like adding a bunch of accessories or performance parts to a vehicle. Lenders will tell you it's worth no more than a stock one...... Yeah, good luck with that. The rules are great when they are working in someone elses favor other than your own.

I spent over a year looking at acreages in the Edmonton area. Ones that had actual shops, not mickey mouse garages were both priced, and selling higher than the same property without.

I would be more interested in the findings people have when pulling a permit to build said "shop". Yellowhead county was ridiculous when my mother built hers threatening not to issue a permit based upon they would not believe her that it was going to be used for commercial use. In their eyes 1200 square feet was too much, lol. Oh well, I will see someday what Westlock County has to say...... not that I really care and would build it either way. My property has enough existing buildings that it will simply be "renovations"..... on paper.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Far easier to ask forgiveness. Never got a permit for anything. Pay taxes. That's my permit.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I told her that too.... but she tried to be "legal" anyway. I have a 40'X120' pole hay shed or a the previously mentioned quonset so it's renovations either way.... Well the hay shed will get knocked down and a totally new building put up..... but in the same spot, so close enough, lol.

They have no business poking around on my property anyhow, IMHO.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when your purchasing the home the lenders wont view the shop as additional value
if you already live there and want to build a sweet shop, you dont have to tell them what the money is for
if for example you are taking equity out of your home (refinancing) you can take up to 80% of the homes appraiased value
you can then spend the cash on fricken hookers in vegas if you want, they dont care

but for me, unless i am using it for some sort of commercial aspect (welding shop or something that will eanr me money), I certainly wouldnt be building a $30+k shop, if it doesnt add value to my home
but thats sort of the way it goes when you live on an acreage
The Finance Minister "Jim" Flaherty" is about as bright as the REAL Mr. Flaherty (you know from Trailer Park Boys ;) ), and some of these recent changes make no sense to me

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when your purchasing the home the lenders wont view the shop as additional value
if you already live there and want to build a sweet shop, you dont have to tell them what the money is for
if for example you are taking equity out of your home (refinancing) you can take up to 80% of the homes appraiased value
you can then spend the cash on fricken hookers in vegas if you want, they dont care

but for me, unless i am using it for some sort of commercial aspect (welding shop or something that will eanr me money), I certainly wouldnt be building a $30+k shop, if it doesnt add value to my home
but thats sort of the way it goes when you live on an acreage
The Finance Minister "Jim" Flaherty" is about as bright as the REAL Mr. Flaherty (you know from Trailer Park Boys ;) ), and some of these recent changes make no sense to me

Don't get a loan to build a shop.... it's the most sensible financial solution. When you don't have a lender ( such as myself) who really cares what they think.

And like I originally said...... regardless of a mortgage providers standpoint, a shop on the property does add value to it. Try and purchase one with, and one without for comparison.

Top Bottom