Safest path to behind saddle/mount renshaw?

Highmark10

Reaction score
we rode through the saddle both friday and sat, and ya the cornice is of concern no doubt, we tried to stay as high up on the oppisite side as we could, only dropping to the bottom of the v just before going up the saddle. when we came back through on sat we dropped down to the bottom one at a time and then immediately side hilled up higher to get further away from the trap at the bottom, then slowly worked our way along dropping down as we got further away from the slide path if the cornice dropped. there really is no absolute safe way through there, just do it one at a time and dont be fawking around wasting time when in the danger zone. i talked with my boy and and told him we wouldnt be coming back through there in the afternoon if it was sunny due to weakening effects from the sun on the cornice. the only 100% safe way is to avoid it all together as has been said. there is also the other way to go over the top in the previous bowl but that climb is steeper and harder when the light is flat

i wouldn't stay high on the left on the way to saddle that hill slides every year into the creek draw terrain trap

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have rode the Renshaw enough to call it my back yard. I frequent it lots just not this year. In almost every ride I go there I never complete the trail to the cabin and almost always go around the backside of saddle from the Blackwater. That being said you should have a guide or go with someone that knows that area as you can get yourself into trouble back there. Pick a sunny day and follow the beaten path and you will find your way. The Renshaw is huge and has a lot to offer and almost always will never let a guy down. There is snow in corners that most will never see, but people who have searched corner to corner in the past will find snow every trip.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like people are calling a lot of different places the saddle!

Thought people were were talking about the big corness at the short cut to the back.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like people are calling a lot of different places the saddle!

Thought people were were talking about the big corness at the short cut to the back.

there are 2 "short cuts" to the back side that i know of, the first is in the 2 nd bowl behind the cabin, the second one is all the way back along the sidehill to the saddle...this is the one with the cornice

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
there are 2 "short cuts" to the back side that i know of, the first is in the 2 nd bowl behind the cabin, the second one is all the way back along the sidehill to the saddle...this is the one with the cornice
the first is "the drop", the second one is the "ladder or stairs"... Then the 3rd(farthest)is the "saddle"

Last edited:

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the first is "the drop", the second one is the "ladder or stairs"... Then the 3rd(farthest)is the "saddle"

The drop has the huge cornice to the left of you as you come down. That was my concern. Also the sidehill under mount renshaw is dangerous.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
the ladder/stair has the cornice to the right and above as you come down... that's when we saw it had dropped years ago, just before we got there.... there was still lots of snow dust in the air, and it was a totally bluebird sky and no wind at 8am....

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like the danger is there anyway to the back.

Jjanke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The safest way back it the 27 km cut off and then in where you pass the back side of the saddle. Next safest would be the Ladder/Stairs or some people call it the switchbacks. The other two ways are what we call GKR Corny, and the Saddle. Both are pretty exposed to fairly significant avy paths so if you go there e sure to have a lot of spacing between guys and make sure you can have an eye on the guy who is crossing through in the case that anything happens to let go. GKR Corny is the furthest right when you are looking from the cabin, the middle one is the Stairs/Ladder/Switchbacks and then beside that one to the left is the saddle. The fastest way is the Ladder/Stairs/Switchbacks IMHO.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was there on the 13th there were some guys dropping down right beside the cornise out of that first bowl as we were coming down the ladder. And then going back up it during a white out to get back over! I had to close my eyes and shook my head at the stupidity!!! But I'd say the ladder is your safest bet coming from the cabin!

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you drop down on the right where the big cornice is, when you get down, turn right, there is a even larger cornice hanging over some hills and trees, watched guys climbing under it last weekend. Probably one of the largest cornices Ive ever seen.

gumbylee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The safest way back it the 27 km cut off and then in where you pass the back side of the saddle. Next safest would be the Ladder/Stairs or some people call it the switchbacks. The other two ways are what we call GKR Corny, and the Saddle. Both are pretty exposed to fairly significant avy paths so if you go there e sure to have a lot of spacing between guys and make sure you can have an eye on the guy who is crossing through in the case that anything happens to let go. GKR Corny is the furthest right when you are looking from the cabin, the middle one is the Stairs/Ladder/Switchbacks and then beside that one to the left is the saddle. The fastest way is the Ladder/Stairs/Switchbacks IMHO.

Just for clarification...are you calling GKR Corny, the path out Wolverine? It comes out at the base of the stairs (aka the stepladder) We have been known to call the wolverine the east bowl.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would ask of bbtoys to chime in as I am thinking of a different area called wolverine than you are. I know many call blackwater the ant hills too and label other bowls incorrectly.

We also want to be careful telling people about all the areas.......Correct them yes, but lets keep some of the corners a treasure hunt. :D

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
We also want to be careful telling people about all the areas.......Correct them yes, but lets keep some of the corners a treasure hunt. :D

I have to agree, if your not shown first hand by another rider while there....Shhhh
Not many years ago people didn't know about KM27 and just skooted by, now it's a major highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
you mean km 31 right.

Yea....for sure...truly my error.
KM31 is a superhighway....that's the ticket.
I should correct the word superhighway. It's more of a mogul suspension test for sled and rider when you go that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
3d234f924e9a0ee027689460bd3fa94d.jpg

Top Bottom