McBride Sledder Rescue - Monday Jan 21,2013

X-Treme3x

Reaction score
Good job Ron on helping someone in need. But not to side track, after you hit 911 on the spot, how long approx until the chopper came? I ask because I rode in Sicamous this weekend and a buddy ended up with a fractured hip and dislocated leg from the hip joint and was unable to ride the sled out. A rider with us had the spot and used it, but we waited almost 2 hours for a chopper (20-25min) in flight time from Vernon to reach us. We were lucky to have limited cell service there and were able to also call 911 directly but that seemed to be abit of a joke also when they said they would come to where we were. I like the idea of the spot but how it was put to me my buddy said, seeing as the call goes to their call centre, then they call the next of kin that you have on the list,(apparently they called his wife to ask where he was) then notify the closest authority with GPS co-ordinates, I find a 2hr turn around time abit slow for help when you are in situations like this. Not to say I wouldn't consider the spot but a think a satellite phone or something similar would be quicker..

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a sat phone certainly would be quicker. unfortunately, not everyone is going to spring for a $1000+ item that may only be used in case of an emergency. the spot or delorme inreach is an affordable alternative, and better than nothing IMO.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good job Ron on helping someone in need. But not to side track, after you hit 911 on the spot, how long approx until the chopper came? I ask because I rode in Sicamous this weekend and a buddy ended up with a fractured hip and dislocated leg from the hip joint and was unable to ride the sled out. A rider with us had the spot and used it, but we waited almost 2 hours for a chopper (20-25min) in flight time from Vernon to reach us. We were lucky to have limited cell service there and were able to also call 911 directly but that seemed to be abit of a joke also when they said they would come to where we were. I like the idea of the spot but how it was put to me my buddy said, seeing as the call goes to their call centre, then they call the next of kin that you have on the list,(apparently they called his wife to ask where he was) then notify the closest authority with GPS co-ordinates, I find a 2hr turn around time abit slow for help when you are in situations like this. Not to say I wouldn't consider the spot but a think a satellite phone or something similar would be quicker..
2 hour response time isn't bad for remote rescue response to arrive on scene. It's not like they have a crew sitting on the tarmac at the airport waiting for a call. One of the realities of back country adventuring.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The 911 was depressed on the spot, it was hung on a branch, the lights flashed for about 3 minutes then they were back to normal. So the signal was sent. A second signal was sent in the same location 10 minutes later. Meanwhile 2 people went to the parking lot to call 911 or the RCMP as well. And I know they rushed down the trail to get the call in as they were not aware that a spot was used. When they made the call probably 1/2 hr to 40 minutes after they let the emergency personal know exactly what was wrong as the RCMP have already received a message from the spot center for help. A chopper was already filling up in Valemount and on it's way. Which was good as time was critical for both the injured and the chopper. The chopper must be grounded by 5:00 pm as they are not equipped to fly at night. If we were not all ready when the chopper arrived and there was more work for them they would of had to stay in McBride for the evening then waited for a mechanic the next day to re-certify. And for Tyson he had emergency services faster as well which was very important. I couldn't imagine what it would of been like going down the back way all the way to the trail then down another 27 k.
I would say the spot in this case took 1/2 hour to get everything out, And it was about 1. 1/2 hours before the chopper landed at the site.
I'm glad everything worked so good and hope the injured are healing. Thanks to all who helped.

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 911 was depressed on the spot, it was hung on a branch, the lights flashed for about 3 minutes then they were back to normal. So the signal was sent. A second signal was sent in the same location 10 minutes later. Meanwhile 2 people went to the parking lot to call 911 or the RCMP as well. And I know they rushed down the trail to get the call in as they were not aware that a spot was used. When they made the call probably 1/2 hr to 40 minutes after they let the emergency personal know exactly what was wrong as the RCMP have already received a message from the spot center for help. A chopper was already filling up in Valemount and on it's way. Which was good as time was critical for both the injured and the chopper. The chopper must be grounded by 5:00 pm as they are not equipped to fly at night. If we were not all ready when the chopper arrived and there was more work for them they would of had to stay in McBride for the evening then waited for a mechanic the next day to re-certify. And for Tyson he had emergency services faster as well which was very important. I couldn't imagine what it would of been like going down the back way all the way to the trail then down another 27 k.
I would say the spot in this case took 1/2 hour to get everything out, And it was about 1. 1/2 hours before the chopper landed at the site.
I'm glad everything worked so good and hope the injured are healing. Thanks to all who helped.

Guys thats a good responce time, I server 30 yrs in the Air force, I spent 4 of them with 103 Search & Rescue, thats a quick response time for a weekend, when I was with them no one was at work on most weekends, we carried a beeber, with a 2 hr response time to be at work. Then the aircraft has to be towed out side and final check done, The pilots have to contact RCC to get the info on rescue, check weather and if any special equip is needed, then start a/c, do checks on the roll, then fly to area.
We were normally at work 30 mins after beeber went off, depends on weather roads ect. So for u to get a chopper there in 2 hrs, that a very good response. I hope in this case u started to plan for a over nite stay, cause sometime no one can come right away, so u need to take advantage of the daylight.
I see u read the post from Ron and the situation they were in, they did everything incase they had to be there for the nite. GOOD WORK for the rescue crew.I hope somone involved sends them a liquid thank you, That is tough dangerous work they carry out and some times it's extremely dangerous. All to get us home alive.

Doctor Mud

Reaction score
True class! It's nice to see good people still exist in this world. It brings me a lot of pleasure hearing a success story like this when the end result could have been fatal. I hope Tyson heals well and can sled another day!!!

Top Bottom