Safest path to behind saddle/mount renshaw?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what's the best/safest route to drop down behind the saddle/mount renshaw?

To to my knowledge, you can sidehill below mount renshaw and cross the saddle. Drop down the "stairs" before mount renshaw, opposite side of the saddle, or go around the right side and down beside that monster cornice.

The guys we rode with this weekend said they had a friend get killed in a slide off mount renshaw when he was sidehilling to the saddle, they said that whole face came down.

We dropped down the right side where the huge cornice is, after coming down and looking back, see that cornice sitting there, looked pretty sketchy. If that comes down, would it hit the trail down or funnel into the centre?

The stairway route seemed to be the safest way down. A bit rocky in some parts.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we rode through the saddle both friday and sat, and ya the cornice is of concern no doubt, we tried to stay as high up on the oppisite side as we could, only dropping to the bottom of the v just before going up the saddle. when we came back through on sat we dropped down to the bottom one at a time and then immediately side hilled up higher to get further away from the trap at the bottom, then slowly worked our way along dropping down as we got further away from the slide path if the cornice dropped. there really is no absolute safe way through there, just do it one at a time and dont be fawking around wasting time when in the danger zone. i talked with my boy and and told him we wouldnt be coming back through there in the afternoon if it was sunny due to weakening effects from the sun on the cornice. the only 100% safe way is to avoid it all together as has been said. there is also the other way to go over the top in the previous bowl but that climb is steeper and harder when the light is flat

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
About 5 years ago, sledderglen, my son and myself went through the ladder and that large cornice had dropped, just before we arrived. Snow dust was in the air, and it was still creeping partially at the bottom near the lake. It wound its way down the mountain, and i don't think it was fast moving, but it went right to the bottom. It was already rock hard when we went down the side of the avy, and was very "eerie". It snowed huge, about 2 feet, the nite before, and we got there about 9am and like i said it probably just dropped before we got there. We were first up renshaw that day.....

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really know Renshaw that well, only rode there a few times. But I vaguely know where you're talking about.

Biggest thing with going into sketchy zones is; picking the right day's to do it. Wait till after the big slides have come down, don't go right after it snows 4 feet ext.

Stay safe out there. Cheers Dan

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I don't really know Renshaw that well, only rode there a few times. But I vaguely know where you're talking about.

Biggest thing with going into sketchy zones is; picking the right day's to do it. Wait till after the big slides have come down, don't go right after it snows 4 feet ext.

Stay safe out there. Cheers Dan

Get Rknight111 to take you for a tour, the man knows the area like the back of his hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is the switchback up and over the 2nd bowl? up the hill staying on the right of the big rock?

I've never paid enough attention to give good directions.
Leaving the cabin. Head toward the saddle. I'm not sure if it's the same side hill as mentioned above in this thread. But there is a little bit of a side hill. I usually go down the little drop. Then instead of going straight to the saddle I peel off a bit to the right. There is always lots of tracks. Easy to follow. Climb up a ways. Then it switch backs right left right left as you go down.

I find its an easy way in and out. I've seen the saddle slide before so I usually avoid going through it.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never paid enough attention to give good directions.
Leaving the cabin. Head toward the saddle. I'm not sure if it's the same side hill as mentioned above in this thread. But there is a little bit of a side hill. I usually go down the little drop. Then instead of going straight to the saddle I peel off a bit to the right. There is always lots of tracks. Easy to follow. Climb up a ways. Then it switch backs right left right left as you go down.

I find its an easy way in and out. I've seen the saddle slide before so I usually avoid going through it.

This is called "The stairs" Ive heard. Its the right side of mount Renshaw the largest peak. The saddle is on the left side of it. The sidehill to the saddle looks sketchy when the sun is beating on it all day. Big creeks and terrain traps below it too.

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't he have a place in town there? Its always good going with a local.

he is back this weekend, his place is my B&B. i will be riding with him this sat if he is here for sure. i like to drop in over the big drop to the right. if you do, you have to stay high on the right because if it does drop it runs to the left as you are going down. blackwater is always better for sure but the trail in from 27 is butal rough.

Top Bottom