RZR 1000 VS Maverick 1000

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting really close to picking one up now. I want to hear from owners the good and bad of these two machines please. Any issues you have had, warranty issues, why one is better then the other. These are the only machines I am looking at plus their variants, IE; Highlighter 1000, Maverick XMR. Any accessories that are a must would be good too. I know a 4500b winch is a no brainer. Also any years to stay away from. I know the 2013 maverick doesn't have PS so I am avoiding it. Thanks guys.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting really close to picking one up now. I want to hear from owners the good and bad of these two machines please. Any issues you have had, warranty issues, why one is better then the other. These are the only machines I am looking at plus their variants, IE; Highlighter 1000, Maverick XMR. Any accessories that are a must would be good too. I know a 4500b winch is a no brainer. Also any years to stay away from. I know the 2013 maverick doesn't have PS so I am avoiding it. Thanks guys.

Im a can am kinda guy, I work with lots of guys with atvs checking wells everyday. 1 guy has a 2013 maverick and it has been great 4000km or so and only self inflicted repairs great engine BTW. Another has a 1000xp and that thing is off the charts cool. He only has 1000km on it so time will tell.. So here is my 2 cents, the guy on the 700 grizzly always makes it home. The guy with the Honda Rincon just installed his 3rd set of tires at 15000km and still running well, the 2 polaris 850 xp's are a constant breakdown machine, guys love them because they ride great and have excellent power but they are always working on them. So all in all for reliability can am? For all out fun factor has to be polaris.

Sorry kinda wavered around a bit there but you get my point I'm sure.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am the same way. I am a can am guy and love the interior of the Maverick but the rzr has a lot going for it. I really am leaning towards the rzr if brand new but if I buy used there are some great deals on low mileage Mavericks.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your looking to get a maverick i would get the turbo mav... the popo's are a decent machine too... i mean they both will have there issiues and this thread could be 40 pages long with different expericence by all owners....

you go to the polaris forums and there is pages on pages of things that go wrong with the owners bikes.... and visa versa... so it comes down to what you like and no one else.... i have seen it all in the US... modded and non modded... and the polaris and can am are in the same league but on different teams.... pick your posion....hehe

if you can wait for the 16's to arrive... the new turbo mav is to be reconded with...but just wait a few months and polaris will be upping one again on can am... and so will go the battle till we all go to the moon! lmao

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the 2016 turbo at 131 hp but they don't seem to hold their value worth a crap. And I'm not sure how the turbos are holding up to our riding still here yet. Still too new. Kick ass looking machine though

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either way if your getting new XMR or Highlifter, while a little more outta the gate they're pretty much done. Other than roof, skids, and windshield.
I too had looked at the turbo however I wasn't too sure how the turbo would do in constant mud and water..not to mention extra $$ beefing it up to the XMR.
As far as more power I think there's plenty without the turbo (and perhaps less to go wrong) I think it's more a matter of clutching. In my experience having replaced both the primary and secondary on my Renegade (stock engine) I now have to be carefull launching in low....prior to that I was thinking BB, now not so much anymore.......til it blows up...and likely not even with that opportunity.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd stay away from the xmr.. Im already through a diff, axle, visco lok is on the way out (grinds and doesn't work), power steering is toast, and on the 5th belt in 700kms lol

Thistledoo

Reaction score
I have a 2014 maverick XRS with only 500kms so far and loving it...zero issues so far and I have been driving it. Not into the mud bog thing as that will wreck any unit...have learned that.
Lots of rocky trails and lots with my right foot on the floor

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd stay away from the xmr.. Im already through a diff, axle, visco lok is on the way out (grinds and doesn't work), power steering is toast, and on the 5th belt in 700kms lol

Yup that is true....diffs in G2's with big tires .. the guys in texas and Louisianna break then left and right....its cause not one diff from the factory has the same specs on lash and setup ... lol ... we do have a diff, tranny expert in Sask that fixes this in the diffs... guys that are pro sponsered down there run his diff or you can send him your diff... are not blowing them up and thats with 34's and lift kits.. go to FB to check out his site
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mud-n-wheels/672787052788976?fref=ts

and axles is a given with big tires... they are just stock and no better then others even popo... stock they all break... you want basically unbreakable axles... go turner evo....

the visco is pretty strong and usually never goes... lots of times its not coming to a full stop and engaging 4 x 4 or visa versa ... or engaging it and right away spinning the wheels before it has a chance to click in... then you wreck it...could also be the seals are worn out and need replacing letting mud and water in the diff...

not sure on the power steering ... and the belt is cause the stock primary on can ams suck... they are flawed by design cause the two sheeves are not locked together.... only way to solve that is aftermarket clutches... no clutch kit will solve that and they are not worth the money they charge for them....

but dont think other brands are so much different.... stock clutching even on the popo's are inferior when it comes to aftermarket stuff but are probably the best stock clutching out there in a stock machine... if you think a polaris will be any better go to the polaris fourms and read up on the problems that thousands are having ... just like cam-ams... it boils down to a few consumers get lucky with a brand and the rest dont... thats basically the truth....for evenone that loves there machine there will be another one that does not... you just have to buy what you like.... ride it, repair it and not bicker about it.... 9 years now with Can-am.... know these machines inside and out... and know everything performance about them... if you have a day i can tell you all the bickering i have done... haha.... lots... but i still love my machine and wont trade it for anything else ... as of now anyways... hehehhe

Last edited:

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is another fact.... you use your machine for say fast woods riding... trail riding ... going thru moderate mud and water with the odd swamping of your machine... it will last alot longer and break less then someone who sets there machine up for deep mud riding with big tires... if your that type of rider then you have to expect many many repairs to your machine no matter what you own... its that simple... just never close your wallet... haha

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either way if your getting new XMR or Highlifter, while a little more outta the gate they're pretty much done. Other than roof, skids, and windshield.
I too had looked at the turbo however I wasn't too sure how the turbo would do in constant mud and water..not to mention extra $$ beefing it up to the XMR.
As far as more power I think there's plenty without the turbo (and perhaps less to go wrong) I think it's more a matter of clutching. In my experience having replaced both the primary and secondary on my Renegade (stock engine) I now have to be carefull launching in low....prior to that I was thinking BB, now not so much anymore.......til it blows up...and likely not even with that opportunity.

Ron knows! ...just clutching along on a totally stock machine will make it 2 quad lengths faster then another same bike with stock clutching... stock clutching .. no matter what machine does not tranfer the avaliable power that the motor has to the ground efectively and efficently ... your leaving aprox 10 to 20% of the available power that your machine has on the table with stock clutching... thats just the way it is....

wonder why can am got smart and locked the 2 sheeves of the primary on there turbo maverick now.... took them till 2015 to figure it out....lol

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went out to Medicine lake a couple weekends ago with a friend from work. He has a 2014 POPO xp 1000 4 seater. He snorkeled it and put 29.5" mudderinlaws on it. Wicked machine,lots of power and smooth ride but he did snap a front axle. To much grip along with big power but super cool machine.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
honestly... not sure how much you valve my thoughts... haha...

but from what i have seen in my time with can-am and also closely monitoring the polaris sence expecially in the GNCC, Pro Woods and CMR Championship Mud racing series and the Best in the Desert Series......talking with many out there that drive this sport in the racing world and i think Polaris and Can ams are both on top of the poudium when it comes to performance features and race driven 4 x 4 machines...they both have different qualities and downfalls... you could probably write a book on it... what you have to do is set a limit you want to spend first... then dont go over it... pick the machines that fall into your liking.... and then desifer them with a fine tooth comb.... pay good attention to there suspension set ups and see what works better then the other... with good suspension you dont need more power... you end up riding way faster and handling skills you thought you never had... hehe...

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would worry about a turbo with mud riding and crossing skeg and creeks.

The can am has a nice interior but is warm from the engine.

Also I am not a fan of the can am front diff a lot of them pile up.

A Rzr yes some tie rods, bushings and a few other wear items.

Our 900 has similar suspension to the 1000 and great ride.

4000 km in 2 years and I am happy with Polaris. I do lots of mud and bush trails.

JMO

Enjoy whatever you purchase

Just pin it.

Bust it

Support economy.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it's not the mudder your looking at I can suggest a fox edition over the normal xp with walkers. some of our customer's have sent there walker's down to struther's @ carl's to be revalved and the ride is improved dramatically. the fox edition with the fox shock package with front sway bar is excellent out of the box. even on our utv track here anyone who owns the 1k who has test rode our demo fox comes back and is impressed with the shock package. on the track and in the bush the fox just works better.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the fox is more. not sure how much but riding both in most conditions I would buy the fox over the walker any day of the week. the group of guys that sent there shocks south are much happier as well. bigger shafts and better valving. I installed the lower gear package and heavier reverse chain in a couple of their 1k's as well. gets up on the tire easier also.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like 4k difference. It is the same price as the highlifter. I'll def look into but I think I would have to drive them back to back to step up. It does have some extra stuff other then the shocks which helps

Top Bottom