RMK Assault Questions??????

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sold my Doo Freeride. Looking at getting a 2013 RMK Assault. Was pumped about the thought of getting it till last week we were out at McBride BC and rode my buddies 2011 RMK Pro. It was hard to side hill and (hard to believe) pull over!!! After he rode my 2012 Freeride he thought the same as me. This goes against everything we have heard about the Polaris mountain sleds. After some thought and many beers!! We started looking at the front suspension and it was set up really stiff. The front springs were really tense(2.5"-3") of thread above the tightener. Could this be the reason why it was so hard to pull over and side hill? Also is there any difference between the 2011 Pro and the 2013 RMK Assault? After we got home I was reading and I read that the Assault doesn't have a sway bar, does the RMK? I'm not here to dog Polaris, just to find solutions to what we found. Thanks for any input. When I buy my Assault I will have to change my Snow and Mud name!!! haha

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode one also to try out. I found it easy to pull over but was unpredictable. I think after a day riding it you could get used to it. But it is a totally different machine then the freeride.

ASSAULTrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a 2011 assault & have no prob pulling it over & side hilling anywhere but have rode it for two seasons, it prob just take u awhile to get used to it coming off the doo but the one difference between assault & pro is torsion bars & stance is a
Little wider just like Ur free ride

96sherm

Reaction score
I have an '11, love the CHASSIS. Compared to my buddies old Rev Chassis summit, it handles like a dream. I haven't rode much else to compare other than a 2011 renegade backcountry which I didn't like. We have our Assault ski stance at the narrow setting, but I believe it's still a little wider than the Pro ski stance. Would the front stabilizer make it tougher to sidehill and carve? The Assault doesn't have that, I sure would be hard pressed to ride anything different now...

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually meant the sway bar on the front. I changed it in my original post.

kyle019

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just gotta do some playing around with the front suspension, since day one I had mine set up fairly soft and it would lay over and hold a line super easy. Then I got playing some more and stiffened it up good and found it was a little harder to hold a line because the rebound on the shocks was too bouncy and it would hop around in the snow while trying to side hill etc.. I'm 5'9" 150lbs and I have the front set about 5 clicks back from the stiffest setting on each shock and have no problem laying it over it holding a line through the trees.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may think it is crazy but the handle bars need to be set right, if mine are a little too far forward it feels like a tank, moving them back even a small amount gets me in the balance point and the thing is telepathic zero effort. I can side hill any slope as slow as I want, I can go places on this chassis that I would never dream about even 4 or 5 years ago. Don't over think it too much, it's easy to adjust on the hill so try moving them back first, at least that's all it took for me.

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive never ridden the pro assault, but my iq assault turns in its side in a heartbeat, i dont even have to change my stance from a normal riding position to pull it over.

No swaybar on assault. I know some dragons did. Like 08 and down As far as i remember.

Last edited:

Assaulted

Reaction score
Yes, the front shock stiffness will make it hard to side hill. I had the same issue and have backed the collars off to the point where the springs are just loose with no pressure on them. I also moved the front skid position to the Pro position to assist - what a difference! Mine is a 2011 and I weigh 180 pounds. Just added the C3 belt drive and Burandt boards also and will be testing them out this weekend.

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
The Pro's are a totally different animal and will take a day or two to get used to. The front suspension, the ski pressure, and how wide he has his stance set are the big factors.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Setup setup setup...it's all in the setup try changing the ski stance to the narrowest setting. You can also swap out the a arms for narrower arms, play with the shocks and also as previously noted properly setup bars make a huge difference.

Assaulted

Reaction score
Should have mentioned that I also moved my bars back a touch from being in line with the column. Skiis are set at the narrowest setting and I also have the CE track.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The difference between my husband's 2012 Assault and my 2013 ProRMK is night and day. In a nutshell, I should have got the Assault... It does have a different track than the RMK that sucks in the deep snow. My husband is currently changing it out and making it a 163. I think it will be awesome!

Top Bottom