RK Tek big bore or boost it turbo

TJGDragon

Reaction score
I have a Polaris Assualt and I want to get a little more power this year but I am stuck between the RK big bore and the low boost turbo from boost it. I have heard good from both companys but I personally have never rode with anyone that has either kit. Does anyone have any feed back on either kit?

WesG

Reaction score
Disclaimer- This is typed as though you are fairly new to sledding no offense intended if you are aware of this info. After owning and riding with numerous BB's and Turbo's, I am pro to the turbo side of things. Be realistic with your budget and start from there. If its 3000$ then save it and buy the turbo kit next year.... LOL JJ

Questions for you to think about:
What fuel are you willing to run day in and day out? (a pig part of making a turbo consistanly run well is running better fuel than you think you need.)
Can you make small changes and resist the urge to just crank a boost controller for more power? ( personal struggle here let me tell you....)
Are you willing to go over the sled inbetween weekends and check for loose hoses, wiring, turbo oil, etc? (not a big deal for me but sometimes after a busy workweek...)
Does your budget include extra in the event of a tuning mistake? (can happen very quickly, I can show you pistons and heads from being gready with power for both BB's and Turbos...)
If you burn down a turbo sled you may have to replace the CHRA ($), but you use stock engine components so probably not as much difference as you think compared to the BB.
If you install yourself the only rule is TYFT (take your Effing Time doing so).

Real world feedback from a bastardized Boost-it/silber/WesG turbo setup....
The boost-it HO setup is considerably faster off the line than a stock 800cc any make in real snow in the mountains(on some hardpack drag strip maybe not as the turbo will lite the track up hard). The low boost setup should perform similarly but less top end. I had the displeasure of running mine stock for one weekend last winter after having the turbo, and let me tell you never again period!!! The turbo was easier to ride in the trees because it had extra power to make turns and pop up over steep little hills. You don't have to make every turn in the trees WFO to ensure you make the next little hill. I am totally over the "you cant ride turbo's in the trees myth". ok my old BD t-apex was a struggle in the trees but not the pro. Boost-it is in alberta so parts are very fast and they stock alot of replacements, along with no border bullsh!t. Boost-it will also help you with tuning and sled setup, not just take your money and not return calls/emails.

The BB should run consistant day in day out, but not many, if any have them around here.... Bit of a risk imo. replacement parts would probably have to come from RKT and take time to arrive. Also if you bugger up a mono you cannot just exchange for another as it would have to be sent out and renik'd... Domes for the head would be the same, RKT.

Just food for thought.

GL with whatever you decide.

TJGDragon

Reaction score
Thank you for the info WesG. I have been riding out in the mountains for many years now and I just want to have more power like everyone else lol. In the years past I couldnt really afford the turbo and the high cost of running them, but that has all changed now lol. I do like the turbo set up but I thought I would ask about the big bore kit because I have never seen one in action. Have any of the assualts with the chain case and turbo set up have any troubles? I have moved out of Calgary to and only live 15 min from Neils shop and that who I was most likely taking my sled to but I wanted to check and see if anyone had any other info on the big bores before I made a decesion.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too was asking the same question last winter. I read pretty much every thread I could find about big bores vs boost and they all have the same answers. Last season I rode good running HM, BD and Boost-it kits and a couple slp stage 4 machines and a big bore. There will be a lot of ppl that will say oh big bores r the way to go way better for tree riding. Well those good boost kits put big bores to shame. The power is right now on the new turbos. If you have the extra cash get a turbo that's what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being that your in Calgary I would highly encourage you to the the time to call Brent Linderman. He is the owner of Arctic Edge Motorsports and talk to him before making ANY purchase turbo or big bore. 403 564 4673

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

WesG

Reaction score
No problem. Living that close makes it a no brainer for me. Neils setup is proven in our turf. Turbo's and control over the fueling/boost have come along way in the last few years. With my setup last year I had to move one setting depending upon air density. The new controller should do this automagically, eliminating this. Running a turbo setup doesn't have to cost alot more than a stocker after the initial purchase and instal. Just take your time tuning and moving boost levels and run more octane than you need. With proper clutching belts last just about as long, chains I change every season, pistons and reeds as needed, along with your Wideband O2 sensor (budget one a season). Honestly if you are looking for what I consider a significant power increase it will not be from an 860 big bore, unless you go straight race fuel, aggressive porting which will kill the durability. There are many well setup 860ish sized machines but they are a complete package not just a bigbore.

WesG

Reaction score
Solid advice Deano :beer: Never ever hurts to ask great tuners what they think. I would be curious on what he has to say on the matter versus what my experiences have been.

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you want to wrench or ride? I prefer to ride now, and have had my share of the big bore and turbo sleds. I dont miss the tuning part of either. Now I just do a few little upgrades and burn fuel. But to each his own.

Stockers are actually pretty incredible compared to what we used to have to build before, but not everyone can make a stock sled go....

Top Bottom