Ring Gear on Primary Clutch

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should you run the ring gear on the primary clutch? I don't have electric start, but it still has the gear. I was told it is engineered to be there for balance and flywheel. I left it on my sled last year and the thing was flawless all year. It is some easy rotational mass to lose, but not really worth it if its going to effect stuff negatively. What do you all think about the ring gear and if its needed??

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have also heard from guys that balance clutches that it is there for balance and harmonics. If Doo was trying so hard to drop weight this would be a easy place to lose it if it wasn't necessary.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing too but then a local dealer started removing them so that the engine can spool up faster. Im curious about the effects of doing that also.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing too but then a local dealer started removing them so that the engine can spool up faster. Im curious about the effects of doing that also.

Yea Im kind of thinking they'd leave em off at the factory if it wasn't need. They'd save weight and the money.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't ran one since 2008.
Going into reverse it will stall every once in a while with gear off.
I run a race primary though.
2008 xp
2010 xp
2012 etec at this time.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Balancing clutches. Thats another curiosity. Should you balance the clutch halves at rest or in motion? If in motion-at what point? As rpm changes-so would the balance points change as the weights shift out.:confused:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't ran one since 2008.
Going into reverse it will stall every once in a while with gear off.
I run a race primary though.
2008 xp
2010 xp
2012 etec at this time.

Same... Not so much a stalling issues with the etecs like it was for the ptec.

mine was stock primary with no ring gear.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Balancing clutches. Thats another curiosity. Should you balance the clutch halves at rest or in motion? If in motion-at what point? As rpm changes-so would the balance points change as the weights shift out.:confused:

I don't really know much about how to balance a clutch? Maybe someone will chime in.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP released a bulletin a few years back. Ring gear is to balance crank shaft. Lots of people take them off but I've always run them.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP released a bulletin a few years back. Ring gear is to balance crank shaft. Lots of people take them off but I've always run them.
Ok thanks, yeah that's what I thought:beer:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of belt life do you get?

Ring gear removal and belt life don't correlate in any way.... But my 14 had 3000km on it before the first Doo belt let go in 30 days of these types of conditions.

image.jpg

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ring gear removal and belt life don't correlate in any way.... But my 14 had 3000km on it before the first Doo belt let go in 30 days of these types of conditions.

View attachment 176271

Thanks. I was just thinking that if the clutch was out of balance it might effect belt life? Or it might be hard on the crank? Just trying to weight the pros and cons here:beer:

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had my 13 balanced last year by a guy around stoon. He spun it up to 6000 when balancing. Smoothed the idle out a lot. Handle bars didn't move at all when comparing to a new 14.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had my 13 balanced last year by a guy around stoon. He spun it up to 6000 when balancing. Smoothed the idle out a lot. Handle bars didn't move at all when comparing to a new 14.
Hmmm that sounds like something I'd be interested in, what did that cost roughly?

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not for balance, for harmonics (resonance). A lighter rotating assembly will resonate ( the frequency at which an object basically tears itself apart), at a different rpm vs a heavier assembly. If you have the equipment to determine the rpm of resonance ( I do at work but can't take a sled to work), you can determine what effect the ring gear has at what rpm. I'm guessing BRP has this info and determined it's better to leave the ring gear mass.
One note...add a similar mass to a Poo and many report longer crank life. Some serious drag guys add even more mass to get a better hole shot....sounds backwards but apparently the momentum can be helpful.
When you look at the weight of everything that must be accelerated to "feel it in your butt"....the clutches, belt, jackshaft, chain and gears, driveshaft, track and snow being pushed.....that ring gear is relatively insignificant.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[QiUOTE=MK4TDI;2022029]Hmmm that sounds like something I'd be interested in, what did that cost roughly?[/QUOTE]

I think it was around 200. Can't remember exact amount.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never run without one I always heard that the reverse won't work. But I also think the weight will help. It will make the sled stay in power band easier. It should shift less because the weight will carry the power. On my kx 250 I put a weighted flywheel on and it really help that bike making it less twitchy and more manageable in the tight trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What was the name of the company around Saskatoon I'm considering balancing my clutch.
Thanks

Top Bottom