Riding At The Lake, Next Generation

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glen, I thought it might slow me but the two rigs are too heavy to slow me down when
I hook the big one. I was out tonight and didn't realize the TREE had hooked the brush cutter and it lifted the groomer up and away from that tree, broke off 3 blades.
the area was a bit too tight for the angle I had the cutter at.
But having the cutter makes for less stops during the day to remove over hanging scrub.

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HI Folks
I have a request of all riders in the Long Lake area, When out riding the trails could you stop and remove, or
break off the big overhanging
branches, you will have to slow up anyway, so take a moment and remove the scrub.
The new cutter does a nice job but with the heavy frost this year I need some help. Every time I stop means the trail is not getting groomed.
All the close in trails are groomed as good as I can get them, I'm hitting so many rocks that I have bent the hitch on the Geo, so until we get more snow
I will be parked, too hard on the equipment.
It is nice have a lower fuel price this year, but it takes 30 liters to groom 40 km of trails, for those that are interested in that stat.

See you on the trail
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Well we received a grand total of 2 inches last week so the trails are getting a little thin,
I'm doing my best at creating snowmobile trails out of very little snow, robbing from the edges and packing
it in the middle.
The new brush cutter is worth it's weight in gold, what a time and work saver, every groomer should have one.
Here's a couple of pics from today's grooming. Will be out all day tomorrow, too cold to ride so I'm grooming.

see you on the trails
Don

Attachments

• grooming saturday.jpg
    grooming saturday.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 216
  • brushcutter.jpg
    brushcutter.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 220

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow - trail looks super smooth. Wicked bright lights by the first picture.
To bad about low snow this year hopefully not to hard on your grooming gear.

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well to answer your question Snowchuk, I was out grooming today and had finished all the bottom end on the east side and started on the south trail, approx. 2 km south of the T intersection I hit a log 8 feet long and about 10 inches in diameter that was berried under the snow, I ripped the hitch right off the back of the Geo and I think I need to sue the SOB for whiplash:) Needless to say I'm out of commission until I get a new hitch and cross member for it. I pulled the bolts out of the Geo's frame so I don't know what I will find when I start the repair. I had been over that area many times and never hooked it before.

Long way from the Heart and it's only metal.
See you on the trail
Don :i_need_snow:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am at the farm on the weekend and have lots 4X4X5/16 angle (300')and two drill stem pipes (40') and some 2X2X1/4"wall square tube (16') and lots of misc steel if you are making a new cross member. If the geo has a frame you may need to use backer plates but I have no flat plate, I make plates out of the angle. If you need some free steel let me know only 12 miles away.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well to answer your question Snowchuk, I was out grooming today and had finished all the bottom end on the east side and started on the south trail, approx. 2 km south of the T intersection I hit a log 8 feet long and about 10 inches in diameter that was berried under the snow, I ripped the hitch right off the back of the Geo and I think I need to sue the SOB for whiplash:) Needless to say I'm out of commission until I get a new hitch and cross member for it. I pulled the bolts out of the Geo's frame so I don't know what I will find when I start the repair. I had been over that area many times and never hooked it before.

See you on the trail

Sad to hear Don. Now you can beef it up a bit. Maybe put a little spring or give in the tow bar while you are fixing things up. Spring loaded slide system in the drag tongue. How`s your neck doing?

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

See you on the trail

Hi Don
Both of our Mogul Master Drags incorporate a sheer pin in the hitches
For the trailer hitch pin only use a 5/16 or 3/8 low grade bolt that will sheer when your drag stops
Drill a new 5/16 hole through the hitch and receiver so it is solid and not banging back and forth in the original 1/2" pin hole
Best to start low with a 5/16" and see if it breaks first, (just carry 3 spares)
Our 4' x 8' drag at 500 lbs uses a very low grade 1/4" sheer bolt
The big 8' x 18' drag at 4500lbs uses a 3/8" low grade bolt and in 7 years bent 4 but never sheered on yet.
Hope this helps

We have almost hit the windshield when we hooked a tree with the front corner of the drag, good thing we always wear seat belts as we stopped dead...

Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys, I will put a shear pin idea to use for sure. I was thinking for next year we would refit the blades and put them on rollers
with trip springs.
It would not have happened if the riders would get out there and do some snow dances, I have had to dig the snow from outside my normal
operating shoulder and have hit more SSSi t this year than in the last four years combined. :eek:
So it is what it is and I will fix it and quit whining.
See you on the trails
Don

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bigger. badder.more powerfull. Just a new project Don while you wait for more snow. Get it fixed so that it can snow a few more feet. Give us some pictures if you can. Thanks. Post them in the groomer section

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Live 12 miles from the lake and finally made it to the ski hill after years thinking about it. Seven of us in total and my cousin pulled out the 41 year old Raider for a rip. Very nice shape with only 700 miles on the Raider, he is taking it to McBride for Family day weekend.

Don - the trails are amazingly smooth!!! As good as anywhere including what is done in the big hills with their big speciallized grooming rigs! Came in from the west side through the leases and went back south on the east side through the grazing reserve.
Met an old farmer/cat operator friend that have not seen in over 20 years at the ski hill chalet and then met an old friend from high school on the trail on the east side of the lake while cooking smokies at fire, he now has a cabin at the lake.

Just an excellent day out with the family and thanks for the smoooooooth trails.

Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Snochuk
Thanks for the kind words, I have no idea why I do it, then a comment like yours makes
me go out there on a -25 day and groom.:cool:

There is always a BUT
As I write this it is raining here at the Lake and with the limited snow will just about
finish the trails. We can hope the rain stops tonight and the BIG snow we have been waiting for gives us a boost.

Oh Ya One more thing, the Geo is back up and running and ready to groom. A Sunday afternoon, a beer, a welder, and about three hours and you have
a fixed rig ready to go.

Thanks
Don

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mean this raider???

View attachment 182799

That thing is in awesome shape!

That would be the one! Julia said I can trade her sled sled for the Raider any day - she said "that is soooo sweet". Dont think he will be parting with any part of his Raider collection, this one is definatly the nicest.
Met Teddy Z on the trail, have not seen him in about 20 years and maybe twice since high school, he now has a cabin at the lake. Think I will have to drop by and drink some of his beer thiscoming summer!

Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Well I'm not going to tell you anything you don't already know except the snow is actually hanging in here, we
received a few inches on Monday and that will save us. The base is good and will last for a while yet. It would be nice to groom out the moguls but
the trail would turn to concrete if I touch it with the Drag.
So keep your chin up it will be fine, remember it's only January, it's Alberta and winter is defiantly not over.
This area can get at least another two feet plus of snow over the next while. Now this is an Elnino year so we might get a bit less:)

See you on the trail real soon

Don

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Well I'm not going to tell you anything you don't already know except the snow is actually hanging in here, we
received a few inches on Monday and that will save us. The base is good and will last for a while yet. It would be nice to groom out the moguls but
the trail would turn to concrete if I touch it with the Drag.
So keep your chin up it will be fine, remember it's only January, it's Alberta and winter is defiantly not over.
This area can get at least another two feet plus of snow over the next while. Now this is an Elnino year so we might get a bit less:)

See you on the trail real soon

Don

Good positive message Don. You right about trying to groom now. Lets do the snow dance again

Top Bottom