Rhino Clutch Kit Gone Wrong

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya. It looks good. Yamaha pressed the spring on. What should I look for? How can you tell if the one way is pooched. It looks good. Spins one way. Lol

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In responce to your message, ya you can call me but I won't be home until about 10pm,.. will be out rebuilding a BF 650i engine

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird...ok so when you said that the belt spun when in neutral did you try revving it up? Did the sheaves work properly (The primary sheaves should collapse together and the secondary should expand)? Both should turn at about the same speed as the belt doesn't slip on a Yamaha like some other machines.

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every site points to the one way. Even though I didn't take it out when the problem occurred, is it possible that it's screwed. It looks fine. I'm not sure what to look for as far as it being defective. I know for sure it is in the right way though. Can I take it out for testing purposes?

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can check the one-way by removing the wet clutch (remember the nut that holds it in has a backwards thread). When you have the parts removed, put the clutch hub into a vise face up, then place the one way bearing and wet clutch assembly in the hub. You should be able to freely turn the clutch counterclockwise, and when you turn it clockwise the clutch should engage.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Are all the weights in the primary greased properly and in their grooves, and have the plastic covers on them? Only reason I ask is cause when I installed my clutch kit, I failed to hold the cam plate against the weights and the primary properly while installing. One if the weights managed to get out if the groove and lay sideways. When I tried to ride the engine would bog down and had absolutely no power. Almost to the point of stalling out. I can't see it being the wet clutch or one way bearing if it wasn't doing it prior to changing weights and springs.

Sent from my iPhone because dial-up sucks!

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im gonna put the stock chit back in and see if it works. If it doesn't I might be forced to take it to RD Powersports. Oh well. Live and learn.:beer::beer::beer:

Puffer99

Reaction score
If I get done work early enough tomorrow I can stop by and take a look at it if you like. Have done a few of them. lol

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the one way bearing is in the right way some times one of the needles could have flipped over the wrong way and its hard to see. Look real close at all the rollers and make sure they are all faceing the same way. I have seen this happen and it will cause the same problem.

Chris

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For god sakes don't do it until you have read ALL the posts. Hopefully he tries to reinstall the old parts and it works.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any updates ?? Wondering what went wong and how things are going as I am in the process of doing my clutch

we have an epi kit in ours and other than tearing up a wet clutch no issues (went back to stock wet clutch springs after that and 1 stiffer seconday)

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read a story on Rhinoforums about the one way bearing working when you spun it by hand but if the rhino was started it would lock up. It has to be something with that bearing. I can't see anything else wrong. I ordered one and it will be here tomorrow. I guess we shall see. On another note! Does anyone know how tight the belt should be? Mine seems rather tight but I'm unsure if that's normal.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read a story on Rhinoforums about the one way bearing working when you spun it by hand but if the rhino was started it would lock up. It has to be something with that bearing. I can't see anything else wrong. I ordered one and it will be here tomorrow. I guess we shall see. On another note! Does anyone know how tight the belt should be? Mine seems rather tight but I'm unsure if that's normal.

Tight enough that your clutch would engage in too high of a ratio and cause the engine to stall at idle?

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that a question? Lol. I didn't notice how tight it was before I took it off. I guess every once in a while I need to remind myself I'm not a mechanic.

Top Bottom