Rhino Clutch Kit Gone Wrong

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just looking for a little help with my Rhino. I put in some Hunterworks 18gr weights and a Gold EPI secondary spring. The process was very simple...however, when I went to try it out chit went south. I started it up and then put it in gear. It wanted to go forward and then stalled. I then took everything apart again and double checked my work. When I tried it again it did the same thing but this time with a rattling sound. I called the Yamaha dealer and they said it sounded like the wet clutch. Maybe a spring broke they said. I took it apart and the wet clutch seems fine. I drained the oil to see if there was any metal pieces in it, just because of the sound I was worried. There wasn't. I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any?

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. It's in there right. I didn't even get at the wet clutch till after I was having problems. Yamaha wondered that too.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright then maybe one of your sheaves isn't moving like it's supposed to and the belt is trying to stretch, stalling the engine. Go back to your stock stuff one end at a time (primary first, then if that doesn't help try the secondary) and see if that helps...maybe you got some defective parts. I just put the exact same setup in mine and it worked no problem.

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When it's in neutral should the belt spin. I checked it out without the cover and when not in gear it was spinning. I revved it ip and the primary spun out nicely. Everything seemed smooth until I put it in gear.

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cage that goes over it? You will have to excuse my ignorance and lack of terminology. Lol. But yes it was the first time but not the second time.

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everywhere I look online it points to the one way but I didn't take it off until I was having these problems. I checked and it looks fine.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could tell you I didn't but I'd be lying.

I hope you're sitting down. Since the sheaves turn in neutral but not in gear that means the problem is in the gearbox, not the clutch. And since it was working fine before you put the clutch kit in that means you probably damaged it when you used the impact on the secondary shaft. To confirm you can take the belt off, put it in 2wd, raise the back end off the ground slightly and see if you can turn the wheels freely when the machine is in gear. If not then you are in for a hell of a repair bill man...sorry :(

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either your inner primary sheave dropped off the splines or the outer washer isn't centered on the shaft and the nut is tight against it.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always use one on my rhino,.. and as long as you know when to stop or have the impact turned down no harm no foul, and I also use a dab of red loctite on the threads.

Oh for sure you can, but like you said you need to be careful with the impact and you have to make sure the machine is in neutral otherwise you can do some serious damage. There's a reason why the service manual says to use a sheave holder and a torque wrench.

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I went to the shop and checked to see if I could spin the rear wheels freely in neutral. I could. I hope this is a good sign. Hahahaha.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about in gear? With the belt removed they should turn freely in all gears. That's gonna be the real test.

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So. When in neutral the rear wheels spin freely. When in gear they spin, and so does the secondary. I checked forward and reverse. Both spin in opposite directions.

Top Bottom