Clutch advise

old700

Reaction score
Ok. Battled my sidewinder since new and the only way I could keep belts in the thing was going to an old nytro primary and secondary. Put 2000km on last season with zero breakage and zero clutch rollers or weight bushing issues. I do however, have wear on the inside of the belt. I do use the 8DN so maybe I need to tighten the deflection up a bit more?? Ideas? Just looks like the belt is bottoming out inside the secondary when shifted all the way out. I do have a 47* and Epi purple to try out this year as well. Was using a 45 and dalton black/orange last year. Thanks a lot.
bd1e3315463ea0fde47194973e4ad9d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's not bad for 2000kms! 06yamahaapex helped me with my clutches when I was having a lot of issues and we did the same thing with going to the older style clutches. I also removed my stub shaft and replaced the bearing as it was pushed in from blowing belts (this helped my alignment) that dalton black and orange is not stiff enough, epi purple will be perfect. I run an arctic cat white secondary spring which is even a little stiffer along with a 47* helix. I've got a hurricane alignment tool laying around you could borrow if you are near Sherwood Park and if you want to make it really crispy throw a belt drive on her with that stiffer secondary spring and also loose 15lbs.

old700

Reaction score
That's not bad for 2000kms! 06yamahaapex helped me with my clutches when I was having a lot of issues and we did the same thing with going to the older style clutches. I also removed my stub shaft and replaced the bearing as it was pushed in from blowing belts (this helped my alignment) that dalton black and orange is not stiff enough, epi purple will be perfect. I run an arctic cat white secondary spring which is even a little stiffer along with a 47* helix. I've got a hurricane alignment tool laying around you could borrow if you are near Sherwood Park and if you want to make it really crispy throw a belt drive on her with that stiffer secondary spring and also loose 15lbs.

Thanks, I have that alignment tool and went through all the stub shaft BS also. Clutch setup works good, just having a brain fart on whether belt is too tight or too loose. The 8DN is longer than the JP, but yes now I have it in the shop I need to loosen like 06yamahaapex said. I’d like to try the belt drive, but found another issue last night I need to address first. Lol
429e55650e4060a9aec268dbde9bf0fb.jpg

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I have that alignment tool and went through all the stub shaft BS also. Clutch setup works good, just having a brain fart on whether belt is too tight or too loose. The 8DN is longer than the JP, but yes now I have it in the shop I need to loosen like 06yamahaapex said. I’d like to try the belt drive, but found another issue last night I need to address first. Lol
429e55650e4060a9aec268dbde9bf0fb.jpg

Well that isnt good, that piece that broke off does that hold the back of the case to the tunnel?

old700

Reaction score
Yep. Brake side driveshaft bearing was also seized up but surprisingly didn’t eat into the shaft at all. I guess it’s a good thing all this is coming apart now! Lol, although I should have started 2 months earlier.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that brake side bearing goes, there is a bearing saver you can buy on the barn of parts website. Good you found this stuff before your first trip

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a set of 8LR weights they want to sell before I order a set?
Found em. Currently loaded to 73-74 grams, I drilled out the tip hole to 1/4" so I could put heavier rivets in, so the yamaha heavy rivets fit a little loose.

I've had these weights loaded up to 81 grams.

also headed to Sicamous through Calgree on sunday the 5th.
20230227_205616.jpg
20230227_205210.jpg
20230227_204953.jpg

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found em. Currently loaded to 73-74 grams, I drilled out the tip hole to 1/4" so I could put heavier rivets in, so the yamaha heavy rivets fit a little loose.

I've had these weights loaded up to 81 grams.

also headed to Sicamous through Calgree on sunday the 5th.
Look me up, I'm may be available for a few days.

Top Bottom