Rhino Clutch Kit Gone Wrong

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that a question? Lol. I didn't notice how tight it was before I took it off. I guess every once in a while I need to remind myself I'm not a mechanic.

I guess it is a bit of a run-on sentence:eek:. Might not have been too tight when you took it off, is your secondary open all the way?

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The belt should be tight at all times on a Yamaha ATV/UTV. Unlike a sled the belt is under constant tension on these machines and its the wet clutch that disengages the engine from the drivetrain when the rpm drops, not the primary clutch like you're probably used to.

davidmalpais

Reaction score
Hi Guys. New here. We have a 2008 Yamaha Rhino 700. Last month the clutch belt destroyed itself, and I ordered one up from the dealer and installed it myself following a video I saw on Youtube. Seemed all fine, but after reassembly I could hear a growling noise, which increased at low engine rpm. Seemed to be running fine but I knew that noise was an unwanted extra. Since I live way out in the boondocks in Costa Rica, I had to tow the Rhino to the gas station for the kid to tighten the nuts on the primary and secondary for me. With an air/impact gun. I did this because I wasn't able to find my sheave holder in my tool box. Most likely because I never had one. Anyway, back to last week. That noise seemed to be getting louder and it was bugging me so I took it apart to finger it out if I could. It seemed to me the nut over the washer was seated correctly on the splines. Seemed the rollers were in their grooves correctly. Revs up nice. Hmmm. Seems to be a tiny bit of play in the primary shaft. The noise is definitely coming from the primary. Sooooooo. I have the kid at the gas station loosen the nuts for me and I take it apart there and reseat and recheck all I could and then reassembled it. I didn't have the kid tighten it with the wrench. I put all I could on the wrench and figured that would work till I got it home, where I could contemplate how to put a hundred pounds on it and be able to get it off again myself some day. About 2 miles down the dusty road the primary and belt and oil came all crashing around the cab. Very hot also. Perhaps the spline already had a crack, or the nut most likely came off, but enough said the clutch housing broke off at the base of the spline. I now have a whole new pile of parts in front of me. From the clutch carrier assembly, one way bearings, clutch housing assembly, gasket, clips, nuts, bearings, and more. Hopefully I'm going to get it right this time. Could anybody post a close up picture of a sheave holder, so I can manufacture or Mcgyver one at home? I understand the clutch carrier assembly is left threaded, and I have a copy of the service manual for the finer details. I bet I cracked the clutch housing when let the kid air hammer it on. When the nut flew off it surely let all the rest free to wander about the cab in free form yet hot and heavy. Any more tips you guys? I can't afford to do this twice. Thanks all.

Top Bottom