Reverse-discrimination

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could a Mod. modify this post,so a poll of yes and no answers could be kept track of?

This is not a bashing thread,nor is it meant to say anything bad about minorities.

O.K,here is my rant.How many people that would care to reply to this thread believe that
reverse-discrimination exists,and have they experienced it first hand?
I went to college for a field operator ticket as well as my 4th class power engineering ticket,
I have applied to every oil producer that I know of in my area and all over alberta and sask.
(over and over again)with no results.I know a female that applied for 2 jobs after leaving school
and she got job offers from both companies?My X took the same course I did in college(she failed)
and she went straight from school to running a facility for a local oil company?
I graduated at the top of my class,have all of the tickets required for the job's I apply for(and more),
have 6 years experience in the oil patch,and every job I apply for goes to a minority or a female?
I believe that the oil industry has a "quota" for females and minorities and when jobs are posted
in a particular area,preference will be given to them regardless of experience and qualifications.

Example The biggest oil company in my area on their internet site the first question it asks when you
apply is are you metis , or any other minority.I think it immoral and it should be illegal to ask what color
your skin is and what gender you are.
I never would have thought earlier in my life that being white and a male would hinder me from finding employment.:rant::rant::rant::rant:

no kidding on the welcome to Canada post/reply. try getting a job with the RCMP, supposedly a symbol of Canada, unless you are native, female or carry your laundry on your head. good luck it isn't going to happen.
gotta love the so called eqaulity rules.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one thing u forgot to tell us was your experience u lack that, when I hire I look at that first and if u have none or u have 5 jobs in 2yrs. That means u are going to jump to another company for a buck or two more, after all the time I would put into u for training . I welcome young peaple into my company with open arms but to many of them have the wrong adatute, they think school is everything , to me it shows u are interested in the business but it still shows me u have lots to learn. Most of the younger generation have the aditude the we owe them something , the best advice I can give u is start from the bottom and show the boss what u can do and stop blaming everyone else. Also young peaple need to do is shut up and listen to the old farts and show them the respect they deserve because they didn't get there because their stupid. Some of them may not have the education and some do so learn to listen and they will teach u every thing they know. Most jobs do need education now adays but when u get the job u will find it only touched the surface and u will then start to learn as long as u are willing to listen. Just a little advice from a old fart.

The thing about young people is............THEY CAN SPELL.

aditude/adatude = attitude
u = you
peaple = people

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no kidding on the welcome to Canada post/reply. try getting a job with the RCMP, supposedly a symbol of Canada, unless you are native, female or carry your laundry on your head. good luck it isn't going to happen.
gotta love the so called eqaulity rules.

This happened to a buddy of mine years ago. He's 6'2", top athlete, clean cut white boy. Went through the qualification tests, scoring 95% plus in all categories plus setting some kind of record on the physical. He was passed over since he did not "score high enough within his category" to gain entry to the RCMP.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I open my mouth without
thinking about it first sometimes.

Perhaps this is a major obstacle in you finding gainful employment.

Not a jab, but if you aren't thnking your answers through and being 'not the most politically correct' you are going to have a rough time finding work. Perhaps do some mock interviews with friends/family and practise answering the questions you might hear, then you have prepared answers for the easy stuff. Will make you look more confident which should help your chances.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a major obstacle in you finding gainful employment.

Not a jab, but if you aren't thnking your answers through and being 'not the most politically correct' you are going to have a rough time finding work. Perhaps do some mock interviews with friends/family and practise answering the questions you might hear, then you have prepared answers for the easy stuff. Will make you look more confident which should help your chances.
I got afew PM's and they were very helpfull,thing's might start looking better.Thank's for your input.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whoever posted that young kids can spell must be joking.

Don't listen to him, just look at his previous post in this thread, he is trying to get people to get into his line of work, fast food joints.

Spelling and age have nothing in common.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I put a add out for an employee I got countless emails and calls but was more impressed with the few who would deliver in person. Seeing what they drive how they dress ask them a few questions on the spot you get a good judge as to what type of employee they would be. I know you can't always foresee everything it's little things that stand out

I can't believe you would judge an applicant on what they drive !! You have possibly mistakenly deprived yourself of some great employees by doing so. What does what they drive have to do with how well they can do they job ????

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to him, just look at his previous post in this thread, he is trying to get people to get into his line of work, fast food joints.

Spelling and age have nothing in common.

I have to say, that post with your pic explains alot. Now, I understand why you post all that uneducated crap.

dzignr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crowsnow.org
In Canada, if you do not speak and write french, you can not get a federal gov't job. With french being a minority (5%) of the population, how is it that 5% of the population gets preference over the other 95%? To me that is reverse discrimination. 95% of the population should stop paying taxes and let the 5% cover the bill if this is how things are decided.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Canada, if you do not speak and write french, you can not get a federal gov't job. With french being a minority (5%) of the population, how is it that 5% of the population gets preference over the other 95%? To me that is reverse discrimination. 95% of the population should stop paying taxes and let the 5% cover the bill if this is how things are decided.
French is the mother tonguehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language of about 7.0 million Canadians (22.3% of the Canadian population, second to English at 58.4%) You have to be able to speak English as well. And there is no such thing as REVERSE discrimination. That would be treating someone really well. discrimination is discrimination.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe you would judge an applicant on what they drive !! You have possibly mistakenly deprived yourself of some great employees by doing so. What does what they drive have to do with how well they can do they job ????

i am speaking for myself and Mattiac here, not sure though if he has the same idea i am saying but probably judging from other posts he has made.
it is not what they drive that is being judged,
it is how they drive and how they take care of what they drive, if the guy drives a ferrarri or a 81 ford fairmont, does not matter but if he takes care of that fairmont like it is a ferrarri he is a good applicant as it shows he will most likely take care of a respect the company tools and equipment. also like he said it is nice to put a face to the name and see ghow they respect themselves in the way they dress, personel hygene etc.
once you get to the hiring/firing end of a buisiness you want as much ammo as you can get for each and every employee to try to get the best available and not waste time on those that just will not work.
i could go on but i think you get the picture.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My apologies, magnet. I misunderstood the meaning of your post. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ha I fired one..... and he had nerve to call the labour board on me and say I discriminated because my reason for termination was the fact he couldnt communicate well to me or our customers...... luckily my owner doesnt question my ethics but we had to write a cheque to that piece of chit instead of going to court,,, I couldnt believe it

stuff amazes me........

Last edited:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and say I discriminated because my reason for termination was the fact he couldnt communicate well to me or our customers......

You would figure an inability to communicate with customers would have been a bonafida requirement of the job, no? The day I can't talk to my customers is the same day the door hits my ass on the way out, and rightfully so.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would figure an inability to communicate with customers would have been a bonafida requirement of the job, no? The day I can't talk to my customers is the same day the door hits my ass on the way out, and rightfully so.[/QUOTE

No worries he got another job! I talked to him today. He works for Telus in their computer IT department !

Last edited:

dzignr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crowsnow.org
French is the mother tongueof about 7.0 million Canadians (22.3% of the Canadian population, second to English at 58.4%) You have to be able to speak English as well. And there is no such thing as REVERSE discrimination. That would be treating someone really well. discrimination is discrimination.

Still, when 22.3% of the population are the only people allowed 100% access to jobs my tax dollars fund, a problem exists. In a truly democratic society, 22.3% of jobs would be available for french speaking people, 58.4% to english speaking people and on down the line.

Top Bottom