Reverse-discrimination

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could a Mod. modify this post,so a poll of yes and no answers could be kept track of?

This is not a bashing thread,nor is it meant to say anything bad about minorities.

O.K,here is my rant.How many people that would care to reply to this thread believe that
reverse-discrimination exists,and have they experienced it first hand?
I went to college for a field operator ticket as well as my 4th class power engineering ticket,
I have applied to every oil producer that I know of in my area and all over alberta and sask.
(over and over again)with no results.I know a female that applied for 2 jobs after leaving school
and she got job offers from both companies?My X took the same course I did in college(she failed)
and she went straight from school to running a facility for a local oil company?
I graduated at the top of my class,have all of the tickets required for the job's I apply for(and more),
have 6 years experience in the oil patch,and every job I apply for goes to a minority or a female?
I believe that the oil industry has a "quota" for females and minorities and when jobs are posted
in a particular area,preference will be given to them regardless of experience and qualifications.

Example The biggest oil company in my area on their internet site the first question it asks when you
apply is are you metis , or any other minority.I think it immoral and it should be illegal to ask what color
your skin is and what gender you are.
I never would have thought earlier in my life that being white and a male would hinder me from finding employment.:rant::rant::rant::rant:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is absolutely illegal to ask what race, creed , colour, sex, age, if you have any disability, and probably a dozen other things that I can't remember.
Could a Mod. modify this post,so a poll of yes and no answers could be kept track of?

This is not a bashing thread,nor is it meant to say anything bad about minorities.

O.K,here is my rant.How many people that would care to reply to this thread believe that
reverse-discrimination exists,and have they experienced it first hand?
I went to college for a field operator ticket as well as my 4th class power engineering ticket,
I have applied to every oil producer that I know of in my area and all over alberta and sask.
(over and over again)with no results.I know a female that applied for 2 jobs after leaving school
and she got job offers from both companies?My X took the same course I did in college(she failed)
and she went straight from school to running a facility for a local oil company?
I graduated at the top of my class,have all of the tickets required for the job's I apply for(and more),
have 6 years experience in the oil patch,and every job I apply for goes to a minority or a female?
I believe that the oil industry has a "quota" for females and minorities and when jobs are posted
in a particular area,preference will be given to them regardless of experience and qualifications.

Example The biggest oil company in my area on their internet site the first question it asks when you
apply is are you metis , or any other minority.I think it immoral and it should be illegal to ask what color
your skin is and what gender you are.
I never would have thought earlier in my life that being white and a male would hinder me from finding employment.:rant::rant::rant::rant:

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah and they get away with it, seen it before, preference given to those of aboriginal status. imagine the uproar if it were the other way around. some time ago they had a heavy machinery operators coarse for aboriginals in my area here. like WTF, i'm curious if a white person would be flat out rejected from even taking that coarse.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another example of what I am ranting about is this.
At my X's facility they had a summer student from calgary that was east indian.(race shouldn't matter)
He wouldn't do ANY of the job's he was asked to do and he couldn't drive.Everyone at that facility asked
the foreman to get rid of him,because he didnt understand how anything worked(didn't care to learn either)
and he wouldnt do any of the task's he was asked to help with.The foreman told everyone that even if he filled
out the paper work for calgary to have him "let go" that it would never happen.
So,he rode around in a truck with various field opp.s for the whole summer untill it was time to go back to school.
WHAT A CROCK.....he couldnt be ran off because if the color of his skin.
"racism" is not a good thing and it works in more than 1 direction.

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good work on your 4th, get your 3A-Papers and (once you get steam time) your 3B-Papers and you will be laughing at the minorities.

Sad though, my one instructor told us after a minority classmate screwed up in lab, that he will probably end up chief because of his skin color, not what he knows

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no intent on bashing females or minorities in the patch,or any other industry.
I know males and females in the patch that shouldnt be there.
My X is a very dedicated employee and is also very good at her job,she run's her facility
with alot of care and pride.
I just get my nose out of joint when I graduated at the top of my class and someone that
failed gets a job I applied for because of their gender.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im metis and it hasnt helped me get a job, so quit whining

Did you spend your life savings puting yourself through college?Have you applied for hundreds of job's
that were given to someone with far less qualifications?
The only check I have ever recieved in my whole life I earned,and the only roof that has ever been over
my head is one I paid for.
Tell me about your "hard luck" story.... I'm dying to hear it.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Omullinger.....You have your 3'rd?
That's right on if you do,a 3'rd would open way more doors that a 4'th thats for sure.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your mad at your ex cuz she stole your job lol

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it is better than it used to be, the applications used to say white males need not apply.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your mad at your ex cuz she stole your job lol

I didnt intend it that way.lol.
She now has years of experience that will open many other doors for her,I just cant get any
of those doors to open.
ARGGGGGGGGGGG.

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I do believe that this does happen to some extent, sometimes the problem people run into is not having a resume that doesn't properly sell the candidates virtues. I don't claim to be any sort of expert, but if you want, shoot me a pm and I would be happy to have a look at it for you and possibly provide some insight. Many of the companies that run fly in camps are hurting for operators, have you tried applying for any of those jobs?

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Applying to jobs online, by email, or just dropping off your resume is not the quick way to get the job you want. With all of these options you are just another piece of paper with a name on it. If your piece of paper doesn't stand out, you get filed in the garbage pail with everyone else who just sent in a resume and cut/paste cover letter, especially if you didn't follow up.

The guy who got the job you wanted (aside from the reverse-descrimination situations) found out who actually does the hiring and went in to meet him, or the operations people, in person or at very least talked to them on the phone. It doesn't always work, depending on company or person, but when they need someone, 9 times out of 10 they'll hire the person they've met or talked to over a stack of papers. I've seen tons of useless twits hired through HR depts, and any experienced managers have as well so they'd rather hire someone they've met and have a feel for.

Having a higher percentage of women or minorities on staff looks good on company web pages and looks pretty to investors. The company can say that they are an equal-opportunity employers, though they do not mention that they do not always hire the "best candidate" for the job.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now it has been my experience , in hiring/firing the applicants attitude is self evident and will get the job or not. just by this post i think i already know the story, and it is not reverse descrimination on my part. lets face it you have no experience and how you prsent yourself is what will open or close doors. those that make demands usually get shown the door.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cyle would have got the job

Ya WTH?

Honestly it could be your resume. You have to fib on it and make yourself look good and on your cover letter like you know about the job, and that you DO have experience. I am looking now, and got offers I don't even want, for jobs I am barely qualified for, just threw resumes out to see what they were offering. If you present yourself well, you will be choosing between job offers. A lot of people would tell me i'm crazy for what I am expecting from a job but I know I will get it with how I can sell myself.

There is reverse discrimination so badly though. Hard to tell if it's the case here. A ton of jobs will not even know if your a minority until interview time.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
McDonalds, Wendys, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell, Arbys, Harveys, New York Fries and Dairy Queen all want Cyle; and he is barely qualified to work at any of them

Top Bottom